iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A trip back to the mill

Started by Kingcha, March 18, 2014, 05:33:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kingcha

So spring is around the corner you say, its gonna be a while before I will be milling.   Yes I am getting anxious.

The trip over the hill

Just a little snow surrounding the mill

I am very glad I put a few extra temporary supports up along with a tarp in front of the mill.

Every thing looks good after a long hard winter.   Hopefully I can get back there working in a month.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

James MacDonald

I believe you have snow load tested your mill shop.  Wonderful to see now failure from some tremendous loads.
You should see what I Saw

Timberking 2000, 1964 Hyster FL, Kabota 43DT w/grapple, Case 580C hoe and never enough Tools

Andy White

Matt,
Glad to see that you made it thru the winter without any damage to the shed or kiln. Wish I could send you some of this "springlike" weather we are having. I will be dewinterizing my mill soon, and getting back to making sawdust.    Andy
Learning by day, aching by night, but loving every minute of it!! Running HM126 Woodland Mill, Stihl MS290, Homemade Log Arch, JD 5103/FEL and complete woodshop of American Delta tools.

Kingcha

Yes it was truly snow tested this season.   I had always planned on a 6x8 post in the middle of the log opening but the additional 2 4x4 on either side of the mill head let me sleep better at night.

Sure wish you could Andy, send me some warm spring weather.   Its back to freezing rain/snow mix tomorrow and single temps by Saturday night.

Matt
a Wood-mizer LT15 10hp Electric, 45hp Kioti tractor, electric smoker, wood-fired brick oven & yes a custom built Solar Kiln

Magicman

Thanks for taking us along.  It's hard for me to wrap my mind around that much snow.   :o
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

thecfarm

The snow will be gone. Someday.  ;D 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

dblair

it's been a hard winter and your shed is truly snow load tested . what a beautiful place you have there . thanks for sharing . we want some spring pics also.
old Appomattox Iron Works circle mill.

Kingcha

Someday, yes someday the snow will be gone and I have logs on the log rack and a smile on my face.   We had a lot of building come down this winter do to the snow loads.  I have a new house but even had my roof shelved, just in case.   My pole barn is on 24" centers so I did not worry.   I think it was mainly the buildings built on 48" centers or older buildings.

MM I just keep telling myself  "We have wonderful summers" that are not to humid and hot.

I will post more pictures as the snow melts

matt
I am going to have to relearn milling all over again, I hope its like riding a bike  :)

LittleJohn

Quote from: Kingcha on March 21, 2014, 08:10:36 AM

matt
I am going to have to relearn milling all over again, I hope its like riding a bike  :)

Less like learning to ride a bike and more like remembering how to not fall off it  :D

Thank You Sponsors!