iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Computer question

Started by woodhick, November 29, 2005, 10:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodhick

I realize this is a forestry forum but I need some help with a computer technology question and I'm sure someone here has an answer.  I currently have dial-up internet service where I live.  My kids both want the ipods  (for Christmas)that allow you to download music off the internet and store them.  I have checked with my Verizon my phone service and there high speed service is not available to me as I am more than 18,000 feet from there office.  I don't have cable service, we do have direct tv.  cable wants $2,000 to run cable form main road up my driveway to house which is all of 600' :o.  What other options do I have or will they still be able to download just slow as all get out.  thanks. ???
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

crtreedude

How about Dish Internet? Since you want download primarily - it might be a good solution.
So, how did I end up here anyway?

beenthere

woodhick
Our phone company put in the boosters so that those 'out' in the country could get DSL. Maybe that is not possible for your phone company, but seems they will need to modernize at some point.

Maybe not having the downloading capability for the ipods isn't such a 'bad' idea.  ;)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Modat22

Satellite internet is pretty good if you don't play online games. initial expense is a little high (500.00 to buy the equipment or you sign a contract and pay a higher monthly fee)

I checked out directway, the costs might be different now so give them a call. There might be other satellite internet providers in your area.
remember man that thy are dust.

raycon

You could run the cable for the cable company yourself.  Potato hoe behind a tractor and some PVC conduit.

Direcway is an option I'd opt for a last resort (we have it).  If you go that route watch out for installer scams. Basically the system gets set up by an independent installer -- they setup for minimum signal strength on a clear day. You, the end user spend the next 30 days trouble shooting with people in India why service is dropping intermittently. The installer comes out a 2nd trip after 30 days and gets paid the full installation fee again since its after 30 days from original install.  At that time it takes him 5 minutes to get you a signal strength of 75+ -- when talking to people in India asked to speak to a technician/ engineer in Florida --they will resolve your issue in a timely matter and tell you about the independent installer scenario's to watch out for.

IF you go with  Direcway don't let the installer leave till your signal strength is over 70+. Direcway has a limit of download file size  of 300mb or 280mb -- read the fine print. Which might be an issue if the reason you're getting it is for file downloads.
Lot of stuff..

woodhick

I looked into Direcway :o.  That's not an option for me$$$.  Local phone company says no booster yet.  Cable company would'nt let me run my own cable to road and they hook to it.  I tried to do that a few years back, thats why I ended up with DirectTv.  What is really bad I said I live in a rural area but Im only 41/2 miles from city.  Is there any drawbacks to downloading music for these ipods other than time.  I hate to ask so many questions but I'm not computer(ipod)  literate.  If it will work ok and just take time they need to learn patience anyway :D.
Woodmizer LT40 Super 42hp Kubota, and more heavy iron woodworking equipment than I have room for.

Modat22

Your looking at long download times and possible hangups. I fought the dial-up download for a long time.

jon12345

I have a 56k modem and it typically takes 15-20 minutes for a song to download.  If I'm downloading a bunch, I set them all up and let them download at night, when I'm sleeping and no one is gonna be trying to call me.

Another option if u have an internet cafe near by, and a laptop u can go there and download, they usually have high speed connections you can use, some are free but some charge.
A.A.S. in Forest Technology.....Ironworker

Ianab

QuoteIs there any drawbacks to downloading music for these ipods other than time.
Just the time and the possible disconnects  :(
You can allways load up the Ipod the 'old fashioned' way... from CDs.  ;)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Modat22

Not exactly on topic but I'd recommend a online gift certificat to audible.com.

Those Ipods work great for audio books, I have one and don't have one song on it. Its totally filled with books  :P

raycon

I'd call the cable company again and tell them you have the cable at the base of the pole waiting to be hooked up. They don't run the cable from the road to the house around here they just handle the  pole and inside the home.
Lot of stuff..

Jeff

Yep, I gotta think that if you had a pole at the corner of the driveway they should have to hook to it. Heck, maybe thats where you want to watch T.V. anyways.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

srjones

I feel for ya... I really do.  I'm out in the sticks, beyond DSL range and no cable even if I wanted it.  Here are a few more things you might try:

1. WildBlue (satellite service)  http://www.wildblue.com/
2. Depending on your terrain, if you can 'see' a neighber that does have DSL (or that can get DSL) offer to pay for their DSL and then setup a point-to-point Wifi  (802.11/a/b/g) connection using directional anntenas.   The range can be up to a few miles before you have to start pushing the limits set by the FCC (depending on your equipment and terrain)
3.  Jeff B's suggestion has a lot of promise.   If the cable company gives you any guff, build a 4'x4' outbuilding and say it's the gatehouse for your hired help to watch TV and surf the internet while they provide security for your estate  :D 
4.  Or just be patient and wait for WiMAX to rollout to your area in a year or two.

Good luck!

-srj
Everyone has hobbies...I hope to live in mine someday.

Thank You Sponsors!