iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

UTV thoughts

Started by gump, February 01, 2019, 12:46:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: wisconsitom on February 27, 2019, 10:51:14 AMThe unit I really like is the Bobcat 3600.
That's a really nice unit Tom, I like it too. But that $20k starting price tag is pretty tough to swallow. No doubt this is a workhorse (I love the tech specs, especially the bed capacity, weight wise), but I just couldn't see myself doing it for that cost. I would constantly be thinking of other things I could do/add to my capabilities if I hadn't spent all that dough. I'm sure your situation is different than mine. After you add in the necessary options, you find yourself up in the 'good pickup' range. I steel roof, windshield, defroster, heat, maybe doors of full cab. I run mine with the doors off in the good weather, quicker in and out, cooler to operate, etc. But in the winter when I am plowing, the doors make a huge improvement, as does the heat, windshield, etc. I have a full steel cab which probably ran the original purchaser more than $3k to add. I see them used for close to that. (Curtis Cab).
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

wisconsitom

You ain't-a-kidding, Old Greenhorn..that Bobcat unit costs!  I'm just  dreamer at this point.  Wife and I have got to talk to financial guy and see where our finances are going to be in next 2-3 years as I get ready to retire.  The only....I repeat only...reason I'm even able to think about any of this stuff-UTV, bandsaw rig, pole building, forestry trailer...is a bit of cash I've saved in one of the tax-deferred savings vehicles I started a long time ago.  This is the ONLY pot of money I've got at my disposal.....and I'm not yet sure what my financial director (wife) thinks that money should be used for, lol!

So that's my predicament.  Better spot to be in than some...worse than others.  I really have no money, save for a few carefully-saved bits.  I'm trying to swing a whole bunch of stuff, all in the next few years....pole building, well/sanitary at that site, outdoor boiler with in-floor heat for shed, UTV and trailer......let's see, what have I left out!

Thanks for great discussion,
tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Crusarius

I was looking at the mahindra ones at the farm show. really nice units. But my #1 top complaint on everything is 

STOP AMERICAN SIZING EVERYTHING!!!!! it does not have to be huge to work!!!!!!

you guys notice the lack of "mini" trucks on the market now? Even the tacoma is the size of a midsize. My wifes jeep is only 6" narrower than my fullsize truck.

These newer units are to wide to fit on my 5x8 trailer. that also makes them to wide to fit on all of my trails.

John Mc

Quote from: Crusarius on February 27, 2019, 01:10:01 PM
I was looking at the mahindra ones at the farm show. really nice units. But my #1 top complaint on everything is

you guys notice the lack of "mini" trucks on the market now? Even the tacoma is the size of a midsize. My wifes jeep is only 6" narrower than my fullsize truck.

These newer units are to wide to fit on my 5x8 trailer. that also makes them to wide to fit on all of my trails.
Agreed. It's ridiculous! My wife loved her 2001 Subaru Legacy wagon. When shopping for a replacement a couple years ago, the current crop had been bloated way up in size. She downsized to a Forester, and it was still bulkier than her old Legacy. She wants her old car back.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

worst thing is they do not seem to have anymore room inside. They are just physically larger.

wisconsitom

I noticed that happening with PU trucks some years back.  Look at a F-150 from 20 years ago and one from the last 5 or 10 years.  Just a big, hulking body.....for what?  To impress someone?  Dodge-same thing.  Really, all makes.  Like you said, Toyota Tacoma just got ridiculous.

At risk of setting off a small war....there appears to be a mindset problem!

tom

John Mc

Tacoma is now a nice, mid-sized pickup. Which is OK, but not if you were looking for a small one. (I bought a used 2009 Tacoma last spring, and am very happy with it. The size is just what I was looking for.)

The size bloat on vehicles made for the US market is really disappointing to me when car shopping. When you do find a smaller one, it feels as though you are driving a tin can and the suspension either fells like a homemade go-cart or is the opposite extreme: quite mushy. You don't get the solid feeling of the smaller vehicles sold in Europe.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Crusarius

The ranger used to be the most popular mini truck ever. Nothing has replaced it since everything is now midsize.

Its a shame the marketing experts at ford make such a poor decision and stopped production. But its terrible that Jeep did not seize the opportunity to release the jeep pickup. Would have cornered the market.

Oh well. Looks like 2020 they will finally release a pickup for the first time since 1988.

wisconsitom

Yeah, that Jeep PU looks very nice.  Way....way out of reach for the likes of me.  More like a used Silverado,lol!

Isn't Ford coming back with the Ranger too?  Or did I dream that?

tom

PS...I might have meant Tundra.  Neighbor had big white Toyota Tundra.  Thing was just huge...not something I'd ever associated with the brand.  I could deal with owning something like that, but would never initiate the process.

thecfarm

I work in a hardware/grain store. Those new trucks I always ask for the tail gate to be put down.  :o  Big tires and big room between the tires and top of fenders make for a high truck. Kinda like a 18 inch bar on a 40cc chainsaw. Looks good!!!
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Crusarius

yes, ford is re releasing the ranger. but they american sized it. it will no longer be the little utility truck it used to be. The truck everyone loved.

I agree with the trucks being to tall as well. the amount of space around the wheels is just dumb. unless you want to modify it.

I am all for big tires but not on my work truck. I have a jeep for that :)

gspren

Quote from: Crusarius on February 27, 2019, 01:10:01 PM

That is exactly why I got the Kubota 400, the smallest one Kubota made. I know it's not as rugged as the bigger diesel units but I've got a tractor for that and that little 400 with an appropriately sized trailer has hauled a lot of firewood over about 6 years and not one problem.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

gump

UPDATE: finally took position of our UTV. Overall I love it! With spring thaw conditions here we were able to get to the cabin ( about 10 km in the woods) without tearing the road all up. Pack up the box with all our gear, load up the  two dogs and drive it off the trailer to the woods! Very comfortable and quiet. It is nice to be able to jump in with the saw and clean up the odd tree which needs to be removed, junk it up throw it in the back ..done. We were able to get back in twice now without having to rip and tear with the truck and possibly not even getting in with the truck. So far very happy with my decision. 

Thank You Sponsors!