iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Built a arch trailer for oak logs

Started by LoneDuck, June 24, 2019, 09:03:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LoneDuck

Just thought some of you would like this. I had a chance to get these large white oak but no way to get them loaded. So I had seen a guy using a trailer to load logs on YouTube and so grabed some scrapes from around  the shop, fired up the welder and this is what I ended up with. I was surprised at how well it worked. The first log was so heavy that I pulled the truck and trailer under the log. Got them home now to see if I can get them on the mill.

Old Greenhorn

NICE ARCH! I have been thinking about one of those too. They look to be about 16-18' and over 22". For WO I am guessing they are well over 2,000 pounds. Nicely done, very impressive.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Southside

Why does it only work for oak logs?  :D
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Tom the Sawyer

That big one is probably well over 5000 pounds.  LoneDuck, please consider adding trailer jacks to the rear corners of your trailer.  A big log, in addition to pulling the whole rig backwards, can also lift the rear of the tow vehicle enough to cause a roll away.  It also places extreme strain on the portion of the trailer that is cantilevered behind the axle.  Be safe.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

LoneDuck

Thanks guys. The trailer is still a work in progress and rear supports are on the list of things to modify. Also maybe a roller. As for the big log it was over 30" on the small end and over 15' long, so I'm guessing closer to 6000 pounds.

chet

Quote from: Tom the Sawyer on June 24, 2019, 11:52:24 PM
That big one is probably well over 5000 pounds.  LoneDuck, please consider adding trailer jacks to the rear corners of your trailer.  A big log, in addition to pulling the whole rig backwards, can also lift the rear of the tow vehicle enough to cause a roll away.  Be safe.
A few years ago we lost a forum member when this very thing occurred while loading his trailer.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

John Bartley

Those are a great way to load odd shaped items onto anything.  Lots of guys are using that style of arch/winch for loading and unloading snowmobiles on/off pickup trucks.  It's simple and it works.
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Thank You Sponsors!