iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Eye surgery tomorrow

Started by Banjo picker, September 10, 2019, 10:14:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Banjo picker

My vision in my right eye has been getting steadily worse over the last few months.  As soon as I noticed it I went to my optometrist ... he said he couldn't do anything for me and sent me to an eye surgeon.  He diagnosed me as having a macular hole.  I had never heard of such.  There was a chance it would heal on its own so he checked me again in about a month and it had gotten bigger.  He does his surgery in Tenn. and my insurance would pay him, but not the medical facility he uses.  He referred me to a Dr. in Tupelo...I got an appointment Monday and she is going to do the surgery tomorrow, (Wed.)  They take the fluid out of your eye and put a gas bubble in...do some other stuff in there as well.  Then you have to look down with your head for several days... That will be tough.  I told my regular customer what was up and they ordered an extra amount of wood.  Hope I am able to go back cutting before they run out.  We will see how this goes.   This will speed up my cataract in that eye as well and I will have to have it removed fairly soon after this.  Hoping for the best.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

thecfarm

First off,good luck. Second off,take care of youself. Meaning if people need wood,they will HAVE to wait or go someplace else. As I say,If I Don't Take Care Of Myself,No One Else Will. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Southside

Banjo -

My MIL had the same surgery with positive results.  Best of luck.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Chuck White

We'll be thinking about you Banjo!

Hope all goes well!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Old Greenhorn

Good luck Banjo, this is scary stuff, but they have a great track record with these procedures these day. Hoping for the best for you!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Andries

I went through that surgery in May. The vision in my right eye has come back to nearly normal, but what had happened was a retina detachment. Scary as heck - but the medical community has figured this stuff out.
It's super important that you follow orders to keep that bubble in your eye against the back of your eye. An iPad or laptop 'puter down low or on the floor. Watched Netflix and YouTube a lot. Gradually the vision came back as the retina grew back onto the back of the eye.
It's a slow process, the wood sales may just have to wait for a few months. Again, follow the Doctors instructions and wishing you the same good luck that I had!
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Bruno of NH

Good luck with you opetation.
Will be thinking of you.
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

Banjo picker

We are fixing to head to Tupelo in a few minutes...got to be there by 10:00.  Deb ordered me one of the devices to cradle your head in a downward position.  You can adjust it and slide it between the mattress and the box springs and sleep on it.   I had ordered me a new Stihl MS261 just before I got this scheduled.  At least I have something to look forward to.  Been wanting me a new saw for a while.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ed_K

Like everyone said "do what the doc say's" Rita's niece had the procedure done but didn't stay face down like she should have an now that eye doesn't see good at all.
Ed K

Banjo picker

Had the surgery yesterday, went back for follow up today.  They took the eye patch off and I can see a little with it already.  My cousin is a massage therapist and she has an extra table that she loaned me.  I slept on it last night and will for the next week.  I go back for second follow up next Thursday.  I am going above ( not really ) and beyond what the dr said as to head down.  Watching lots of untuned vids.  Banjo

Andries

" . . . untuned vids . . . " ?
That's no fun!
Try some 'unrated vids'. 😆
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Andries

Seriously, get onto YouTube, search for every Stihl 261 review, use, abuse and mis-use video that you can. It's an endless source of the most useless goofs doing all the wrong stuff, and a source of the most brilliant, useful and best practises that you've ever seen.
Heck - you can even see vids of us Canadians playing in the Glaciated North. Broadens the perspective.
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Banjo picker

That was supposed to be YouTube.... hard to catch that autocorrect with only part of one eye working right.  I got my computer glasses on with a patch over the worked on eye and the distance is wrong for the iPad.  I watched a bunch of vids by Bucking Billy Smith I think it was.  A guy and his son.  Cut several big trees.  One of his saws is an old McCulloch....big saw.  Banjo

Thank You Sponsors!