iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How do you minimize chronic aches and pains?

Started by EOTE, February 14, 2020, 11:42:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sawguy21

old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thecfarm

If I don't drink enough water, through out the day, I get the cramps. Than I drink 4-5 glasses of water as I walk around in pain. After about 5 minutes all is fine. Than I am up 2-3 times to go to the bathroom because of all the water I drank.   ::)
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

barbender

I used to work on an asphalt paving crew. Long days (14-16 hours and longer some days) out in the hot mix and the hot sun. It didn't matter how much water I drank, I'd still get leg cramps at night. I started drinking Gatorade, no more cramps. I'd like to find a different supplement that provides whatever Gatorade does, without the sugar because it is usually my reliance on Gatorade in hot weather that stumbles me up when I try to go on a sugar free diet to lose weight.
Too many irons in the fire

Sedgehammer

Gatorade makes a low calorie powder and powerade makes a zero calorie bottled.
Necessity is the engine of drive

doc henderson

the low cal is G2, and you can get it made up, or packets to dump in a water bottle.  you can also eat more salt in your food, and take 4 tums (calcium carbonate) before bed.  if you get a cramp, 4 tums will stop it in a bout 3 minutes.  salt substitute is potassium chloride instead of sodium chloride so you can do a bit of each and cover most electrolytes.  you can take milk of magnesia or mag citrate to get magnesium, but also get diarrhea.   8)   :o   :).  you can buy salt tabs, and we did this in boy scouts.  some talk bad about salt, but we cannot live without it.  
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

Emergen-C  has Electrolytes in it and they come in small packets. Gatorade Zero is sugar free. 

doc henderson

as we get older it hurts to lay in bed, or work all day, and everything in between.  might as well get stuff done.  long term more activity is better.  you got to cut out the dumb stuff.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Walnut Beast

doc henderson

It is but takes longer to recover, if at all.  :D .  we all did it when we were young, and learned how to survive.   :)

PoginyHill

I did hamstring stretches upon my doctors advice to attempt relieving hip pain (I'll need a new joint sometime). After about a month of doing stretches I noticed lower back pain went away when doing normal stuff like cutting wood on the ground. Didn't do anything for my hip, but did wonders for my back. Most effective for me was lying on the floor (sunny side up), with one leg pointing up against a door jamb or the corner or a wall.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Ed_K

When I was logging I took gal of water an qt of gatorade an still got cramps at times. 1 tablespoon of cider vinagar in 2 onces of water will stop them in less than a min.
Ed K

red

Honor the Fallen Thank the Living

azmtnman

My wife has fybromyalgia. She has used turmeric and noni (natural supplements you can find in the vitamin aisle.) The have helped her. 
I've heard good testimonials about CBD from people I know personally.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

mike_belben

My yard is full of prickly wild lettuce. Lactuca serriola.  Theres a milk inside of it with painkilling and muscle relaxing properties.  Many ways to use it. I harvested a mason jar of leaves and stems, poured in vodka and keep it in the freezer.  Alcohol dissolves the compound and it gets darker, stronger and tastes worse with time. A table spoon of the booze into a big swig of ginger ale before bed loosens my fused spine up pretty well. 

Otherwise i try to just fall apart gracefully. There arent many joints left i dont have problems with. 
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: sawguy21 on June 04, 2020, 01:46:56 PM
I wake up with leg cramps if I don't stay adequately hydrated, man do those things hurt. Otherwise it is extra strength Tylenol to control the effects of aging, I don't like it but that's the reality. Losing weight has really helped too but this Covid thing sure hasn't been beneficial as outdoor activity has been seriously curtailed.
I get them when I sleep a restless night of turning and rolling. 
The only thing that helps my back pain is to keep moving, if I sit, it starts hurting after a hour or so. Driving a truck is not fun. Funny though when I'm bending over kneeling down lifting firewood and cutting trees I feel great. I do stretches too when it gets bad, o can literally feel the nerve running down my left leg is shorter than my right because it's getting pinched by a back disc. 
A1

mike_belben

Youve probably got degenerative disc disease.  (Around my house there is another malady i gripe about called regenerative dish disease.. Where no matter how much i wash, the sink continually overflows in dirty dishes)

Anyway, my understanding from a docs explanation 2 decades ago, is your spine has gels that dont receive blood flow.  They got a fluid that needs to be squished out by compression and reabsorbed by the suction of your spine being elongated from stretching and good sleep. Without the nutrients of this fluid they essentially die off, harden, age whathaveyou.   Basically we were designed to work hard and sleep hard.  

Get some cardio on a trampoline and an inversion table to stretch the spine.  Might relieve the sciatica if its just stenosis and not a bulged disc.  I have had better results from DO's than MD's on back stuff. Laying around on more and more advils and such is the worst thing to do in my experience.  
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Best thing I did after I injured my back was learn to lift things properly,
Compound lifts you know, not just arching over and heave hooing with just your lower back. Kneeing down actually using your thighs to lift stuff instead of your back, besides you're a stronger lift this way anyway. For me if I sit idle I get pain increasingly, stretches help, my pain goes down my left leg, if I start feeling it I know it's time to stretch cause quite literally left legs nerve is being pinched shorter and I can feel that strain.
A1

Ed_K

I have chronic lower back pain from blowing out a disk L4-L5 and ended up getting operated on. When I wake up in the morning before getting out of bed I pull both knees up to my head 10 times. That has helped with the pain considerably.
Ed K

mike_belben

If you guys dont have a foam roll you better get one.  Its just a padded pipe you roll on but i cant do without mine. Seems to me leg stretches help the entire spine.
Praise The Lord

HemlockKing

Quote from: mike_belben on August 24, 2021, 08:38:29 AM
If you guys dont have a foam roll you better get one.  Its just a padded pipe you roll on but i cant do without mine. Seems to me leg stretches help the entire spine.
Use it on your glute muscle and thighs(hamstring). Basically sit on it and roll back and forth the length of your thigh, but do one thigh at a time so tilt to each side. The muscle in that’s area for me gets unbelievably tense and sometimes it almost hurts loosening it up.
A1

Nebraska

Old saw fixer

200 milligrams of celecoxib (Celebrex) works for me, arthritic back and knee.  Moving around helps more than you'd think.
Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

doc henderson

If you are over 60, the day all the pain goes away will be a sad day for your family.

Jeff

I dont know if I don't have pain most days, or just ignor it because its there each morning and evening. Many evenings is where I find the blood from something I know nothing about happening. Just shrug and go.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!