iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protected untreated posts above ground vs treated

Started by Sedgehammer, July 28, 2020, 06:54:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sedgehammer

Our barn requires posts on the porch and the open lean to. I know 12" x 12" aren't needed, not even close, but I think that's what we are going with. With that said i have 3 choices in timber. Doug Fir, Southern Yellow Pine and SYP treated. 
All will be above ground. I will make a bracket to secure post to the concrete. Prolly a 2 part and then weld the bracket that's fastened to the timber to the one fastened to the crete.
The porch posts are 8' and face west. Lean to posts are 16' and face east.
Since it's off the ground and over hang is 2', does this require a treated post?
Thanks
Necessity is the engine of drive

farmfromkansas

Most of the porch posts made for use on houses are not treated.  Think I would use the Doug Fir, and make sure it is at least 6" off the ground, and leave a gap between the concrete and the wood. Don posted a link to a heavy timbers web site, it has several ways to attach your wood to the concrete, simplest way was a U shaped piece of strap iron poured with the U in the concrete and the uprights you put your wood between and bolt.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Brad_bb

I've been using stainless steel knife plates for our own buildings.  

They won't react with the oak posts, and if they ever get wet, no problem.  These are custom fabricated to order.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Sedgehammer

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 30, 2020, 12:13:41 AM

They won't react with the oak posts, and if they ever get wet, no problem.  These are custom fabricated to order.
Yes, I think I've seen them in the timber frame area. Thanks
These are 12" posts, so wood need to be bigger. I'd fab them with 2 holes offset for the upright and 4 for the bottom. Prolly 3/8 min plate for the bottom i thinks. 
Question though. How do you line up the hole through the wood to be exact enough through the metal? 
Do you have a drill press for the timber? 
You use a metal pin with wood plugs?
Do you epoxy the bolt anchors to the crete?
Any preferences on wood?
What is the 2 larger round holes for? 
Necessity is the engine of drive

mike_belben

You can hammer drill a SS redhead anchor into the center of the pad, drill a mating hole in center of the post and put an asphalt shingle, grit down, between the two for a moisture barrier so the post doesnt wick from the cement.  During hot weather the load will squish asphalt up into the end grain to further seal it.  I mean nothing says you cant brush some roof flashing sealer on the end too. 
Praise The Lord

Jensming

Quote from: Brad_bb on July 30, 2020, 12:13:41 AM

They won't react with the oak posts, and if they ever get wet, no problem.  These are custom fabricated to order.
Brad - is there a way to reach you to inquire about ordering these? 

Tom King

I built a timber framed porch in 1983.  Every piece is treated SYP, including the 12x12x16' posts.  The porch roof has four feet of overhang, and is still solid as a rock today.

That house has changed hands three times since I built it, on a nice lake lot, and the last time it sold was for well over a million.

The guy that bought it from me originally spent a couple of hours going over it with me, drove off but didn't get out of sight, turned around, came back, and wrote me a check for it right there.

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

Tom King

He had just sold a Pharmaceutical company for 114 million.  He came up with a test strip method for quickly testing for Marijuana use.  He tried several other businesses, like liquid Aspirin, but none of them ever made a go.

He hooked up with a young, really good looking woman who ended up with everything he owned.  Don't know the details, but he didn't live long after he had to sell everything. 

beenthere

QuoteHe hooked up with a young, really good looking woman who ended up with everything he owned.

Surprise! Surprise!  Where there is money, there are gold diggers.  Heffner had it figured out tho... 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

fluidpowerpro

I recently read about a product called Bor-8. Its a small rod this is inserted into the post. Its used to help prevent rot on wood. I have not used it so I cant attest to how good it works, etc, but maybe its something you could consider using as extra insurance.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full of it falls off the top shelf and hits your head!

Thank You Sponsors!