iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cholesterol

Started by alan gage, October 28, 2020, 03:53:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: alan gage on March 03, 2021, 09:24:36 AM
Quote from: firefighter ontheside on March 02, 2021, 09:56:48 PM
I'm one who used to not be able to gain weight no matter what I ate. In the last few years that has changed and I can put on weight in my belly.  
Yep, me too. Smartest thing I ever did was in my mid-20's, knowing I couldn't go on eating like that forever, having the realization that one day I was going to wake up fat if I wasn't careful.
I wake up fat every day. :D :D

Quote from: doc henderson on March 03, 2021, 10:58:23 AM
have to know about side effects and monitor for them.  better than having a stroke or heart attack.  always risk vs benefit.  drugs with no side effects prob. have little or no benefit.  

The pain kept me up at night. Nothing relived it except stopping the statins.
Supposedly there is a "new" statin out that doesn't cause the muscle pain but it's very expensive and my Ins will not cover.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

21incher

It's in my family so I am plagued with it also. I tried satins and they nearly crippled me with muscle pain. Went on Crestor for years and it was under control with no side effects. 3 years ago my insurance company tried switching me to a generic Crestor and I had same side effects as statins. They refused to supply Crestor so I had to stop taking everything because I didn't want to pay $734.00 for Crestor every 3 months. My cholesterol spiked back up and my cardiologist applied for bimonthly injections as my only other option. Once the insurance company found out they couldn't reject them and they cost over $20k a year they put me back on Crestor and it's good again. Generics definitely have different side effects then name brands.
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Ianab

It's not so much the "generic" vs brand name thing. The default cholesterol drug is Atorvastatin, usually sold as Lipitor. It's basically a generic drug, made by several companies, and dirt cheap. Hence that's the default one that you will be given. 

For most people it works fine, but the most common side effect is muscle pain. There are other Statin type drugs that can be prescribed, but they are more expensive, and have their own set of side effects. Fortunately they are different from the Lipitor ones, so chances are that if Lipitor upsets you, the others wont. 

After a few months on Atorvastatin I basically told my Dr that I wasn't going to take it any more as it was crippling me. That was enough justification to switch me to Pravastatin (Pravachol). Both are funded by the Govt drug agency, but you can only get the more expensive ones if you can't tolerate the cheap one.

I does sound like it can need a bit more of a push to get switched over in the US, depending on your insurance? But there are those other options.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Dave Shepard

Atorvastatin out of pocket was just under $300 a month here a year ago.

When my father was diagnosed as a type 2 diabetic 26 years ago, he was put on Crestor abd bp medication despite having excellent cholesterol numbers and good bp because everyone diagnosed as a diabetic was put on cholesterol and bp meds. It robbed him of all his muscle, which he has never recovered from. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ianab

From their own web page.

CRESTOR® (rosuvastatin calcium) may cause serious side effects, including:

QuoteMuscle pain, tenderness and weakness (myopathy). Muscle problems, including muscle breakdown, can be serious in some people and rarely cause kidney damage that can lead to death. Tell your doctor right away if:

But this gets us into a whole can of worms with cost of healthcare etc. There are different drugs available that work differently, but you can't afford them.  :-\ Or the insurance doesn't cover them.
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Texas Ranger

Quote from: doc henderson on March 03, 2021, 10:58:23 AM
have to know about side effects and monitor for them.  better than having a stroke or heart attack.  always risk vs benefit.  drugs with no side effects prob. have little or no benefit.  
I meant adverse side effects, it keeps my numbers down.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Dave Shepard

Quote from: Ianab on March 03, 2021, 04:27:03 PM
From their own web page.

CRESTOR® (rosuvastatin calcium) may cause serious side effects, including:

QuoteMuscle pain, tenderness and weakness (myopathy). Muscle problems, including muscle breakdown, can be serious in some people and rarely cause kidney damage that can lead to death. Tell your doctor right away if:

But this gets us into a whole can of worms with cost of healthcare etc. There are different drugs available that work differently, but you can't afford them.  :-\ Or the insurance doesn't cover them.
In my case, I immediately contacted my doctor when I linked my symptoms to the possible side effects. I was told I was on what I was supposed to be on. The next doctor refused to even discuss it. I  guess I'll just go home and die from my medications.  ::)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

doc henderson

your doc should be checking labs, like a CK.  (muscle enzyme).   call back and tell them you want labs to check for muscle pain.  it is often a nurse fielding the calls, and not wanting to add to a busy schedule.  did you talk with the doc?  if you get rhabdomyolysis, it can crunch you kidneys.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Thank You Sponsors!