iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking for advice for Tree Wedges for Tree Cutting Falling, Bucking, Felling

Started by Happysawer, November 23, 2020, 10:33:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

HolmenTree

Quote from: doc henderson on November 25, 2020, 02:47:50 PM
you should set up video of some of the falls, but that might bring bad luck! :)
Yes I've had many customers who stand off to the side with their phones aimed right before I let the tree go.  Talk about pressure  :D
It used to be I had to join YouTube to post videos. Now I can post on Facebook short videos with no problems,  but this here site is not FB
Making a living with a saw since age 16.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

petefrom bearswamp

Just added to my wedge collection yesterday
SIL found one on my place while deer hunting, left by loggers who harvested the next to last harvest.
This is the second one we have found over a few years
Price certainly is right for these.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

thecfarm

I just buy the ones that Labonville carry. Nothing fancy, just a every day 10 inch wedge, I think. Just picked up a couple about a month ago. I took a chunk out of one all ready.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Stihl used to sell felling levers around here, but I think they are only in Europe and NZ now. I think they are fine for smaller trees under 12", a great big old bruiser would likely need a wedge or a few. ;D  Never used anything but the saw myself. Not dealing with huge wood, just thinning small stuff mostly 4-12" on the but and some popple 70 feet tall. On them bad leaners though, I can find a hole most times near the lean or just buck if it lodges. If you leave some wood on the side you want to pull the tree toward on the way down, it'll happen. If I was falling veneer though, wedges for sure. You can't bring a tree sloping 20 degrees in a forest canopy, vertical and fall the other way with wedges. :D Since I'm not in big stuff, never been a tree that the saw never brought down. I'm very good at directional felling myself, but there can sometimes be a nearby limb to hook onto on the way down. ;D I never leave stuff hanging, no no no, nor cut a tree with overhangs on it.

STIHL FELLING LEVER 80CM

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Real1shepherd

Quote from: SwampDonkey on November 26, 2020, 06:35:28 AM
Just cut'r.............and jump. :D

Felling rock maple in the yard with 30" chain bar on a Husqvarna - YouTube
Wow....just wow. That's how people die, regularly. Too bad we don't see a closeup of what he's doing wrong. That's when you think you're 'tougher' than the tree.

Kevin

thecfarm

WOW!! He should of ran!! Well he should learn how to cut a tree down first.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

These are people sent out to cut danger trees by the power company. The tricky part is that the road was elevated, and that baby bounced.

HolmenTree

I have met many utility arborist crews who do powerline clearing over the years and tree felling is definitely not their specialty. :D
The most felling they may do is tipping over a 10 foot tall trunk after taking it apart from the bucket truck. 

Andries

Quote from: Real1shepherd on November 26, 2020, 09:50:04 AM. . . . Too bad we don't see a closeup of what he's doing wrong. . . . .
The camera is way far from the base of the tree, but it looked like it barber chaired back a fair bit.
" These are people sent out to cut danger trees by the power company. The tricky part is that the road was elevated, and that baby bounced."
I'm not sure it was the elevated road @Swamp Donkey , to me it looks like the opening face might've been way too shallow causing the split upward, then the kickback. That saw guy was close to being out of luck!
Dangerous dudes cutting danger trees. Makes for good video of what to watch out for . . .  :o
LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Real1shepherd

Your eyes are better than mine....I can't really make out anything except for the kickback of the butt and the guy standing there like he's God....or stump dumb.

Kevin

Tacotodd

He ACTS stump dumb for not moving a bit faster. Stupid stuff like that will get a person killed!
Trying harder everyday.

Old Greenhorn

I was thinking of this thread and the above video when I was perusing FB marketplace this morning and saw this fella. His ad was titled "have chainsaw, will travel" with two copies of this photo and two copies of his brand new Mac chainsaw. Now just ponder this photo for a second or two.

In case you are not seeing what I see, let me direct your attention to the 'notch' and the direction the tree should have fallen in. The 'backcut' is interesting, as is his 'hinge'. If I was 'guy with a chainsaw and a truck' I don't think I would use this to garner business. Just sayin'
 Maybe you guy see something different?
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

doc henderson

It must be a European hinge... no offense intended to Europeans everywhere, :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Andries

Quote from: doc henderson on November 27, 2020, 09:14:39 PMIt must be a European hinge... no offense intended to Europeans everywhere, :D
Let's see . . Greenhorn is Norwegian and I'm Dutch. 
Looks like your post has European bookends.  :D :D 
I really like that guy's opening, closing and final drop - let's file him under 'miracle worker'. . . just this one time. 

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Andries on November 27, 2020, 09:24:03 PMlet's file him under 'miracle worker'. . . just this one time.
Yeah, but next time we might file him under something else.... like 'defendant'.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Magicman

What kinda wedge did this guy need??   ???

Yup, he got it on the ground.   ::)

And I sawed that treasure.    You can see the wedge still in the stump in the background and also the smile on the butt.  :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Andries

LT40G25
Ford 545D loader
Stihl chainsaws

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Andries on November 26, 2020, 11:13:33 PM

I'm not sure it was the elevated road @Swamp Donkey , to me it looks like the opening face might've been way too shallow causing the split upward, then the kickback. That saw guy was close to being out of luck!
Yes, that was the corner of the tree where it was punky rotten and no strength to the wood, so it appears barbour chaired.  Rotten wood separated from sound wood. I would have cut through that before the back cut. It was over 3 feet across the butt. But that road also helped bounce it. So it was two fold. ;)

HolmenTree

I found this picture of a job I did a few years back out in cottage country. 
Heavy leaner over this cottage with a gas meter on the wall a few feet away.
I had to tension this 3/4" guy rope with my pickup. A second rope on a come along to pull it down.
You begin to appreciate the tools of the trade after doing a few of these jobs.

Thank You Sponsors!