iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have YOU had COVID-19?

Started by azmtnman, December 26, 2020, 10:51:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Texas Ranger

My wife and I have been vaccinated, but have not had the virus.  Our best friends were vaccinated the same day as we were, and got the virus from an overnight visit with their daughter and grandson.  Grandson became sick overnight and they left that morning.  Too late.

The initial sickness was moderate.  3 weeks later the husband has long haul covid.  On oxygen, steroids, has fatigue.  Both had underlying health problems.

This is going to be a long haul for all of us, we all will be infected sooner or later.  It is a matter of will you be vaccinated or will you gut it  out?  You risk dancing with the grim reaper if you are old.  Does the vaccine grant you a pass? No.  It grants you a better chance.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

mike_belben

took 8 months but the wife did get smell and taste back finally which helped ease the depression of ... losing smell and taste.  

i do think we had it go through the house before it officially landed in the US.  i was driving semi up and down east coast at the time and those bigrig fuel handles and showers and toilets have every ick on them known to man.  truckers are from all over the world now. 
Praise The Lord

SwampDonkey

Been lucky here because case numbers are low. Fully vaccinated.

I've probably never had an ordinary cold for at least 7 years. I don't want any bug of any kind, thank you very much. None of them bring great pleasure. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doctorb

As discussed on the previous thread, I caught Covid Aug 7, 2021 at a family wedding. Fully vaccinated with Pfizer, and the last of the 2 shots was Jan 19, 2021. (Quite some time ago!).

I had mild-moderate cold symptoms.  No fever, but a runny nose and a dry cough.  Was able to do my daily 4-5 mile walks.  I received the monoclonal antibodies on the 5th day of my symptoms (doctor prescribed).  That evening, I felt a bit chilled and went to bed early.  Symptoms were completely gone 2-3 days later.  I did not feel like I truly needed the MAB's as my symptoms were improving before the infusion.  I blame the increase in symptoms the night of the infusion on the antibody infusion and not Covid. Yet, I think, given how this thing can react in some people, it may have been a wise decision.

So I am now 3 1/2 weeks after my exposure and subsequent infection.  I have no loss of taste or smell, and no lingering symptoms, so I feel fortunate.  People who get the MAB's are supposed to wait 3 months before receiving any vaccine, but those recommendations may change.  I will follow the science as best I can and decide that when the time comes.

I need a negative PCR to get into Canada.  Haven't seen my cabin since October 2019.  The problem is....no one can predict how long a PCR remains positive after Covid.  I have had one positive antigen (rapid) test and one positive PCR test (15 days after exposure).  A positive PCR does not mean that you are currently infectious.  It means that the test, which is very sensitive, is picking up protein remnants of the virus in your nasopharynx.
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Ianab

Quote from: doctorb on September 02, 2021, 08:10:34 PMI need a negative PCR to get into Canada.  Haven't seen my cabin since October 2019.  The problem is....no one can predict how long a PCR remains positive after Covid.  I have had one positive antigen (rapid) test and one positive PCR test (15 days after exposure).  A positive PCR does not mean that you are currently infectious.  It means that the test, which is very sensitive, is picking up protein remnants of the virus in your nasopharynx

The testing is now sensitive enough that it can detect ONE case in a cities waste water. So all NZ cities are regularly tested to check the virus hasn't got lose there somehow. Obviously cities with cases already in isolation come up positive, which serves as a sort of calibration, If you know Auckland has 200 active cases, you would expect a strong positive in the waste water. You then go to Hamilton, and don't see any positives in the water, you can assume that city is still virus free. 

There was a positive test in nearby New Plymouth, but repeat tests over several more days came back negative. So it was put down to a patient who had recently recovered in quarantine, and safely returned home (or visited). But if samples had kept showing positive, then it would have been a flag to start tracking down a new infection.  

So the tests can pick up recently recovered cases as DrB suggests. A recovered person can still be shedding particles of inert virus protein that the tests can pick up. They aren't infectious as it's only fragments of the virus, but it's the specific pieces the test is checking for, and the test can't tell if that's attached to a whole virus or not. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

HemlockKing

Quote from: Chuck White on April 11, 2021, 08:02:11 AM
I believe that when this is over, the total "social behavior" is going to be quite different than what we were used to before COVID appeared!

Most likely some good, some not so good!
I would say mostly
Bad (except spreading germs)and more anti social ness. Nothing good can come from having cloths over peoples faces everywhere you go, dehumanizing. I mean I already know how to interact, so I can read other cues for if someone may be laughing or mad under their mask, not so much for kids as they haven’t even learned to be social yet, and probably will have trouble reading people as they age, or maybe not, just a thought.
A1

caveman

Students are back in classes.  We have completed about a month of school.  Very few are wearing masks as it is optional.  I wear one in the classroom even though I have had the JJ vaccine.  I know about a dozen folks who have died from C-19 and a bunch who have had it, some mild, some very severe.  We will see how this plays out but I do not see it as a huge inconvenience to wear a mask if it may potentially prevent someone from having a bad C-19 experience.  Outside of the class I shed the mask.  As of yet I have not had it but two of our four ag teachers have contracted it in the past six weeks.  My middle daughter (she works with us) and I have avoided it so far.  We may just be antisocial enough to give us a little buffer.

I have a vaccinated cousin who has worked as a C-19 nurse since this began who has been hospitalized for the past three weeks.  She is having a rough time.  Hopefully she is finally on the recovery side of it.  She is 52 years old.  Another cousin, in his 60's, died two weeks ago due to C-19.  It is bad here now.
Caveman

Walnut Beast

If your not vaccinated it's best to keep your distance from people that are vaccinated. Why do you think more people are getting infected now.  Spike S Protein is what infects you from people vaccinated.

sawguy21

??? ??? Are you an anti vaxxer?
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

doc henderson

the non-vaxed people are catching the virus from others with the disease.  the spike protein alone will not cause the disease.  the spike is what attaches the virus to a cell to infect, and is why the monoclonal antibodies are against that to slow the spread within a persons body.  vaccinated people can still catch the disease, but are less contagious and less ill.  I am working and have seen prob. 20 cases in the past 8 hours.  all are un vaccinated.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

If the spike protein coming from the vaccinated people makes you sick, why do they not get even sicker.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Ianab

Quote from: doc henderson on September 04, 2021, 04:08:11 AMvaccinated people can still catch the disease, but are less contagious and less ill.  I am working and have seen prob. 20 cases in the past 8 hours.  all are un vaccinated.

In the local outbreak, 84% of the patients are not vaccinated, 12% have had one shot. and 4% are fully vaccinated. None of the folks in hospital are fully vaccinated. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

doc henderson

to my knowledge, I have not had it.  I am tired sometimes but I worked 8 nights in a row (12 to 14 hours each) last month.  It took me 2 days to recover, but I am 60 y/o.   :)

Walnut Beast

My wife was in the hospital for four days after a surgery and chose not to get vaccinated because she knew from microbiology that she could shed the virus to me that's not vaccinated. That's what she claims 😂. She also told her neurologist when he asked why she didn't get the shot. She said that it's on a emergency basis and they don't know enough about the long term effects. How can you have a vaccine for a virus that constantly changes ? 

SwampDonkey

All hospitalizations here (4 right now) are not 'fully' vaccinated. One is ICU. Blaming the vaccinated as harbingers is total BS. ;D Here we have 75% vaccination and less common infection rate than a cold virus in the good old days. Areas in other parts of the world with low vaccination, high infections and alarming hospitalizations is the result. Look after yourself and increase your odds, or don't bother and enjoy the suffering if your number is up. The NYT surveyed a few folks in hospital who had it bad and could still talk, and many wished they had been vaccinated. Others stuck to their guns, one who was 54 years old didn't make it. Dead 9 days later. Not that there couldn't have been 100 others who survived. You know how the news is the last few years, leave out some of the facts to score points. But I think there is enough science around vaccines for what? 100 years ? that makes the case for getting the shot. I don't expect a mass die off from new types of vaccines, pretty much nil, around the 99% confidence level, so to speak. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

doc henderson

the mRNA get the cells to make a protein that would be like a part of the virus, but not have the ability to reproduce, as you would need all the parts to make a functioning viral particle.  so when you do get the virus, your immune system has a head start.  I would rather get the vaccine, then get the virus, than the other way around.  there may be complications but it looks like the immunization is safer than the disease.  I still feel the immune response will be broader and longer lasting from the disease.  You are correct in that we cannot know all the long term consequences, as it has not bee around long term.  this vaccine is not an attenuated virus, like many of the old ones, where you got a disables virus.  like the old oral polio.  the newer immunizations get the cells to make a bit. An analogy is like making the hand of a human, so that hand cannot function cause there is no heart or brain or even an arm to attach too.  you are either going to get the vaccine or the disease at this point.  we do not know much about the long terms effects of the disease either, but what we know makes the shot seem safer.

doc henderson

they try to predict the flu strains each year, and hit the top 3 or so for the vaccine.  since covid, we hardly see influenzae.  all the mitigation.  the covid shot is new, but built on research and development of the past 70 years.

Walnut Beast

Good info Doc! This Covid is some nasty contagious stuff. My wife is RN/BSN but should have been a Doc 

Paul_H

Quote from: Ianab on September 04, 2021, 06:21:40 AM

In the local outbreak, 84% of the patients are not vaccinated, 12% have had one shot. and 4% are fully vaccinated. None of the folks in hospital are fully vaccinated.
What's the percentage of vaccinated in NZ right now?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Paul_H

Quote from: sawguy21 on September 03, 2021, 11:38:43 PM
??? ??? Are you an anti vaxxer?
How does that concern you and how would his answer affect you?

sawguy21

Just curious. It sounded like anti vaxxer propaganda to me but I am not a medical expert by any means as you knoe.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paul_H

Labels and names are divisive and not helpful and actually help to dehumanize.

Hilltop366

The latest numbers from Nova Scotia, around 70% on the total population is fully vaccinated.

There have been 4,357 cases from March 15 to Sept. 2, 2021. Of those:
— 68 (1.6 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 261 (6.0 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 4,028 (92.4 per cent) were unvaccinated

There were 255 people hospitalized. Of those:
— 2 (0.8 per cent) were fully vaccinated
— 28 (11.0 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 225 (88.2 per cent) were unvaccinated

Twenty-eight people died. Of those:
— 1 (3.6 per cent) was fully vaccinated
— 3 (10.7 per cent) were partially vaccinated
— 24 (85.7 per cent) were unvaccinated

Southside

So freedom of choice is propaganda now? Seems every "official study" contradicts the one before it.

Stepped off an airplane in Rhode Island yesterday. Right there "Free rapid testing" signs in the airport. Why? Gotta keep the "case" numbers up? 
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

doc henderson

It is not free.  I am sure someone got a grant based on need from a year ago.  I am happy since otherwise every one comes to the Ed at 2 am.  over half of the 20 tests we did last pm are positive.  the ones that were worried that they had it (20 to 30 y/o), still do not want the vaccine after finding they had dodged a bullet.  At that age there is nothing to do for it, till and if you get really sick.  they are all going to get it with delta being more contagious especially if unvaccinated.  just stay home kids.

Thank You Sponsors!