iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Poison ivy, oak, sumac

Started by Sauna freak, February 20, 2021, 08:05:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BradMarks

Technu*.  Sold almost everywhere. Made in Oregon.  Nothing beats predisone for getting rid of it though. 

farmfromkansas

I spent a couple weeks working over fence, a lot of it along the crick, and had to rebuild the crick crossing, as the county did some tree trimming and tore it down, and anyway got a huge collection of poison ivy.  Last couple days it has gotten a little tough.  Had the remedys of the last bout, but was out of poison ivy soap,  Had some of the Ivarest foam wash, not nearly as good as Grandma's poison ivy and oak soap.  The ingredients are colodial oatmeal.  As soon as I washed with the stuff, it felt better.  Also been using equate itch relief, it is just a benedryl cream.  Was told to get this Rulia cream, but did not find it in stores. It is on amazon, but would like to avoid buying from DR Evil.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

barbender

I get poison ivy so bad you could probably talk me into selling my soul for a remedy, let alone an Amazon order😬😁 I've got a fresh batch on the back of my hand right now from a wild asparagus picking excursion last week, I'm lucky that's all I got. I do avoid touching my face or anything when I'm picking asparagus because Ivy and asparagus nearly always grow together, but we've had a cool spring and things have been late to bloom. I thought I was getting 1 batch of asparagus before the Ivy sprouted. I was wrong😬 
  In MN, I haven't seen it growing in vine form. Just on the ground is bad enough, up in the trees too? Sheesh! Ivy doesn't care about the Mississippi either, it is doing quite well out in Wyoming. 
  I've had several experiences where I get the initial rash, and I continue to get new outbreaks in other areas for days afterward, even after really washing down with soap. I thought I read about the allergic reaction being triggered around the body and not just where the oil contacted? Doc you'll have to set me straight on that, all I do know is I have got it many, many times where it continues to spread for 5-6 days after the first rash. It's like creeping death- i find it on my wrist, for instance. I rush to the sink and scrub off my arms then my face. Change my clothes. Take a shower. Then the next day, feel a bit on my neck. Then later, on my face. The next day, a spot on my chest. The day after that, oh my gosh you've got to be kidding me I can't have it on that!😬😬 But I do👎👎 FWIW, it's actually worse having it on your face than your man parts🤷🏽‍♂️ Gosh I hate Ivy!!
Too many irons in the fire

Gary_C

That did it. I ain't reading this topic any more. Might even not pick my asparagus any more.  :D 
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

nativewolf

Get an old plastic gallon milk jug or something like that.  Mix several tablespoons of liquid soap with the gallon of water.  Shake well and carry that in your car/truck/tractor.  Anytime you think you've gotten into poison ivy just wash any exposed skin.  DON'T touch your pants/boots or anything else that brushed the poison ivy.  

Soap and water within 30 mins of contact will keep the problem oil from penetrating your skin.  When in doubt, just wash.  Keep the jug full and even some papertowels, nothing wrong with emptying a good bunch of soapy water on your face/neck if that keeps off the poison ivy.  

The other thing to remember is that your boots will have traces of the oil, so the next morning after lacing up wash your hands again.  After 24 hours the oil should have oxidized, leaving boots outside in the sun helps, pants too.  

For really bad poison ivy the local doc can give you a corticosteroid. 

Dogs can be an issue, they can have it on fur and you can pet them and pick up some oils.  
Liking Walnut

WDH

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on February 20, 2021, 08:58:56 PM
I don't remember the last time I saw Poison sumac although it, poison oak and poison ivy are all the same genus Rhus.
Poison ivy and poison oak are in the genus Toxicodendron.  Poison sumac is indeed in the genus Rhus, like all the sumacs.  Posin ivy and poison oak have tri-foliate compound leaves.  Poison sumac has a very large pinnate compound leaf with many leaflets.   
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

doc henderson

washing the oil off is time sensitive.  so once you get the rash the washing remedies are over.  there is a pre contact barrier you can put on your skin to keep the oil from penetrating.  if you know you will be in it, then wear long pants and shirts, hats and face shield if needed.  the body responds to the oil after is soaks in the skin.  some say it needs to be washed in as little as 15 minutes.  it depends on the dose, and the type of skin.  you are more likely to get it on softer skin (back of the hand) and less on the palm.  It is a contact dermatitis and does involve histamine release.  so steroids can shut this down in a few days.  hot body temps (exercise, bath, clothing) can increase release of histamine.  antihistamine can help with the itch by blocking histamine receptors, but does not stop the reaction.  topical histamine and steroid creams might help for a small area, but not practical to do over large areas.  As well the rash area that had lower dose/volume of oil may not show up for a few days.  this is why it appears to spread days later. scratching does not spread the rash (after the oil is gone) but can stimulate the release of more histamine.  you can spread the oil if it is in high concentration, but the new rash (days later) is more likely just taking longer to show up from the initial exposure.  prevention is the best, and therefore you need to train your spiny senses to be aware and always looking when in treed shady areas.  dead plants can harbor the oil for years, especially the big vines.  if you cut a vine with a chainsaw, and do not touch the vine, the oil spray will get on you face and neck, so cover yourself if you realize and plan to saw anyway.  If you are very allergic, just walk away.  prevention is the best, but requires knowledge, attention, planning and preparation for work in infested areas.  I give prescriptions for my lawn care buddy 100 pills at a time.  it should be started as soon as possible to stop the rash sooner rather than later.  If you are a outdoor professional, see if you doc will let you have some on hand, presuming you know what poison ivy rash looks and feels like.   :o   8)   :'(   :snowball:   :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Tacotodd

Adding on to the topic:

It's not poisonous in the truest sense but humans are typically HIGHLY allergic to it. 

As a kid it bothered me quite badly, now it's not but just a small bump or 3. I don't go rolling around in it and I try to keep a watchful eye out for it. But I know that some work just must get done. It does bother the wife to no end.

Don't hate on me because I'm lucky, I'm surprised that I am. It didn't bother dad at all. He could sleep in it with 0 ill effects. 

Spring squirrel season is some of the most "unique" times regarding an encounter with the stuff. You are really likely to see it then, at least in my neck of the woods. Young growth without much yet in the way of leaves, plus you're concentrated looking for tree rats not ivy or snakes. But guaranty that once come across either, the days hunt is over because you're more concerned about that than looking for your game!
Trying harder everyday.

mike_belben

I tend not to be far from a can of ether or brakekleen or carb cleaner.  Handy for seed ticks, surprise ant nests, wood boring bee holes and immediate poison ivy oil treatment.  If i hack a fews vine with a hatchet or loppers, the tool gets ethered off. 
Praise The Lord

barbender

Not bleach, but I did learn by accident that cement will dry up ivy. Now cement is nasty stuff that you should avoid getting on your skin (I got a bad chemical burn on my legs from it once, but that's another story😊). I was working clearing sites for septics with my Grandpa one summer, I had a steady stream of ivy. I'd get a fresh batch when the last one just scabbed over. All the way to the end of October, and I had some fresh blisters bubbling up😬 Well, we were laying block and I managed to scrape the blisters on my wrist and forearm open moving block. Got mortar on it too. Yes, it stung bad, but by evening that stuff was dried up. I told a friend about it who works on a tree crew, the next spring he was in my yard begging me to apply cement to his forearms which were covered in ivy. "Come on brother, I've already scratched it all open with a wire brush!" Being he was at his wits end, I applied some cement and he went his way. Dried it up for him too. Line I said, not healthy- but I'm afraid he was ready to run out in front of a truck or something otherwise😬😂

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: barbender on May 26, 2021, 12:11:24 AMNot bleach, but I did learn by accident that cement will dry up ivy.
Maybe the lime in it?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

doc henderson

both bleach and cement are alkaline.  but I cannot fathom that adding a strong chemical to inflamed skin makes it better any faster.   :)   8)
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Wudman

Quote from: doc henderson on May 26, 2021, 07:55:53 AM
both bleach and cement are alkaline.  but I cannot fathom that adding a strong chemical to inflamed skin makes it better any faster.   :)   8)
Clorox was a local remedy for poison ivy........and my Grandparents would use Kerosene on a number of ailments. :D :D

Wud
"You may tear down statues and burn buildings but you can't kill the spirit of patriots and when they've had enough this madness will end."
Charlie Daniels
July 4, 2020 (2 days before his death)

mike_belben

i hosed some ground P.I. down 2 days ago in a windex bottle shaped roundup poison ivy killer.  didnt do anything at all. 

guess i will have to mix up the glyphosate soon. 
Praise The Lord

doc henderson

I think it has to be a "brush" killer.  to be overly, perfectly clear, you are talking about spraying the weeds, not your rash, as has also been commented on in this thread.  Prob. obvious, but hey I am a  doc.   We use a bleach bath for some skin conditions like cutaneous abscess, and MRSA.  the patient is instructed to as a "half cap" of bleach to a bath once a week.  do you think anyone ever heard "half a cup!"  of course they did, and then they are back in the ED with a chemical burn.   :D

barbender

My Grandad told me that his Mom would wash their hair with kerosene if they got head lice. He said the problem was, the kerosene gave the lice diarrhea and they pulled out all of his hair to wipe with🤣

Doc, whether it was the lime or what in cement I don't know. I do know that cement will dry your skin out really bad which in the case of an ivy rash, I found to be a good thing😊

Thank You Sponsors!