iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood allergy

Started by Tacotodd, March 06, 2021, 08:57:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tacotodd

Besides OGH and me, who hear (and other places) has experience with it? I've heard of it before on PBS shows concerning woodworking and am just curious. Please chime in with responses.
Trying harder everyday.

Ed_K

I have a real bad time with sinus's if I don't have a respirator on when sawing ash.
Ed K

Texas Ranger

Walnut and the rest of the hickory family, mask time for me.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

donbj

Milling cedar or sawing it on the table saw does things to me.
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

azmtnman

I'm allergic to pine--my nose while it's pollenating, my skin is allergic to the sap/pitch and if I get a splinter it will fester more than other wood splinters. Our Utah juniper sawdust (cedar family) stuffs me up. I take Claritin in the spring when the pondos start coming to life. It helps but isn't a cure-all. But other than that, I just live with it.
1983 LT 30, 1990 Kubota L3750DT, 2006 Polaris 500 EFI, '03 Dodge D2500 Cummins powered 4X4 long-bed crew cab, 1961 Ford backhoe, Stihl MS250, MS311 and MS661--I cut trees for my boss who was a Jewish carpenter!

Edvantage

Just came home from milling ash all day. Was asking my wife is my face red from sun or am I having a reaction to the ash sawdust? I'm really thinking it's the sawdust. Same thing happened last week. 

Old Greenhorn

Yeah, it snuck up on me. Back in the summer I did a mess of pine and had an unexplained rash on the insides of my thighs. It eventually went away but took nearly 5 weeks. I had no idea what it was, didn't connect the pine. Then a month or two ago I did more pine for my floor, right into the planer, then the joiner, then doing all the dado ripping cuts. My arms were cherry red with a brilliant rash getting worse by the day. Doc clued me in and I started to watch it based on the work load and use cortisone cream. Had to get the work done, plus I had to build a pine bench to order. Finally needed a round of prednisone to knock it down and I am slowly clearing the pine, and it's dust from the shop. Lots of cleaning, sweeping and vacuuming. I don't seem to have the issue with hardwood. If/when this ever completely clears up, you can bet I will be vigilant for new onsets to track what is causing it. Right now it's just a mild rash with no itching to speak of.
 I am curious to hear what others do to treat these issues. I can't really track sinus issues, because I have them all the time regardless of conditions. The only way to fix that is to relocate to a dryer climate like CO, or NM where it goes away, along with my constant cough in less than a day......until I come home.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Jeff

Cedar and ash. Ash dust will give me an asthma like attack.  Northern white cedar, and balsam fir give me contact dermatitis 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: Jeff on March 06, 2021, 07:56:23 PM
Cedar and ash. Ash dust will give me an asthma like attack.  Northern white cedar, and balsam fir give me contact dermatitis
How do you treat the skin issues? Find anything that works better than cortisone?
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

Jeff

Thats what I use the. 99ยข walmart bin tubes.

Old Greenhorn

Thanks for the tip. I pay 5-6 bucks a tube. Been going through a lot lately. ;D

Jeff

Edvantage

I ended up itching from head to toe from today's ash sawdust. Just took a nice hot sauna and benadryl for the itching. 

thecfarm

I buy them tubes at dollar tree.
Popple trees for me.  :o  
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

trapper

thanks for the info.  Been sawing a small dead ash log almost every day and my nose has been running and plugged up.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Tacotodd

I only discovered mine when I was handling a piece of unfinished pine woodworking of my friends parents that have "long ago" moved back to Maine. That's when the fun started, and ended to. That entire family moved back there about there 35yrs ago. At the time, my parents (who have been deceased since 2014) took me to an allergy doc to find what the heck was wrong with me (please wait for any punchline you may have come up with). He determined that it was from the pine. Us, being poor country folk, had never heard of anything so sac-religious. The next time that I encountered dried pine, has been the same every since. Not so much when it's green, don't know why.
Trying harder everyday.

LIL

I found out quite early on in my and @Ianab 's relationship that I was "allergic" to Port Orford Cedar.  It took a couple of headaches and being nauseous that I finally figured out that the Port Orford Cedar was the problem.  This means now that if Ian is cutting one down or working with it green, he can't come near me until he has washed and showered properly.  I only need to smell it and the headache starts, I can also recognise the smell easily now so can take care of myself. 

LIL
Hobbies and Interests  

Interests revolve around my partners love of sawmills! - Hence being his NUMBER ONE OFFLOADER - Myself - I like the smell of sawdust. If I had my choice I would have BIG MACHINERY - who wouldn't want their own combine harvester and an 18 wheeler (Scania)

Nebraska

I just thought about this as I read the thread.. ...for those with contact allergies try getting some long veterinary plastic obstetrical sleeves with and vinyl or latex exam gloves over the top of the fingers. Use a rubber band to hold it over your shirt sleeves. That way   it should protect your hands and arms, especially if you can't just  avoid  the wood that bothers you.  Just my 2 cents.

Old Greenhorn

Dang, I hope it doesn't come to that! ;D
 I have tried everything I can think of and got some arm sleeves which I take off and shake out when I am done with the dust/chip generating work. I am not sure how they are doing for me. I have to get 'clear' of the 'issue' before I can start clean and see if I can control it with various measures. Right now I am wondering if the Ash, Maple, and Oak are giving me the same issues, or if it is just the residual Pine dust in the shop that keeps my arms cherry red, I am very concerned about this and watching my ongoing work closer than my balance sheet. It could be a game changer for me if I can't find a solution.

Thank You Sponsors!