iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What critters have you seen from your house?

Started by Edvantage, May 09, 2021, 09:06:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Edvantage

I've seen in 20 yrs I have lived in my house;  First porcupine this morning, Bears, Bull Moose, Deer, Coyote, Wolves,Bobcat,RedFox,Racoon,Pine Martin, weasel, trapped 200 skunks, woodchuck,squirrels, chipmunks,snowshoe hare, cottontails, flying squirrels. Have seen cougar within a mile of here. The list of birds is another topic sometime. Bald eagles once raided hay from a bale feeder to build a nest. Was sitting in the living room and saw a massive pile of hay go flying past the window! It made many trips like that.

mike_belben

The usual birds, squirrels, rabbits, snakes, a doe, a few dozen packdogs and about a hundred meth monkeys. 

;)
Praise The Lord

KEC

Back in the winter I had a mink in the back yard trying to get a gray squirrel that I'd caught in a trap. I went out and took the squirrel out of the trap and left it there. In short order the mink came and claimed its' prize.

HemlockKing

Quote from: KEC on May 09, 2021, 10:33:00 AM
Back in the winter I had a mink in the back yard trying to get a gray squirrel that I'd caught in a trap. I went out and took the squirrel out of the trap and left it there. In short order the mink came and claimed its' prize.
We only
Have those grey squirrels in the annoplis valley region of Nova Scotia, I lived there briefly, when I first saw how big they are compared to the usual red squirrel I figured it would probably give cat a run for its money in a fight!  :D They are slowly spreading, they can out compete the red squirrel. The red squirrels are much smaller but they are a lot more "feisty"
A1

Southside

Have a Bald Eagle nest on the farm, one day one grabbed one of my Guinnea fowl maybe 50 yards in front of me.  I was like "Dang - tax time I guess".  See most of the expected, the Bob Cat that was hanging around last year showed up during the day multiple times which surprised me.  Had a Caracal once but that clearly had been dumped by someone.  Pair of Wood Ducks nest just past the mill shed in a big, not too healthy, Sycamore, they arrived a couple weeks ago.  Pretty neat to be running the saw and see them set it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

sawguy21

I get red squirrels, deer and the occasional bear leaves a calling card. And cats, no shortage of them. Dumb Dawg ignores them but if they get too close she comes to me for protection.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Edvantage

One thing we don't have much of is snakes. Although one time the neighbor called our house screaming. A snake was in her kids toy box. I went over with a shop vac. She was standing on the kitchen table screaming. I eased the vacuum hose near the snake sucked him right in. Worked great.hate to think what she would have done if the snake managed the get away.

HemlockKing

Quote from: Edvantage on May 09, 2021, 11:46:18 AM
One thing we don't have much of is snakes. Although one time the neighbor called our house screaming. A snake was in her kids toy box. I went over with a shop vac. She was standing on the kitchen table screaming. I eased the vacuum hose near the snake sucked him right in. Worked great.hate to think what she would have done if the snake managed the get away.
What kind of snake was it ? That's hilarious!
A1

Edvantage

Was just a garter, but definitely had to catch him

HemlockKing

I've used the vacuum to suck up hornets and wasps. Hate those things. I don't like snakes either but I'm okay with handling a garder snake, they will hiss and strike at you but their bite are harmless and sort of funny  :D
A1

Chuck White

From the house I've seen:
Gray squirrels
Red squirrels
Chipmunks
Garter snakes
a zillion kind of birds, including Hawks, Eagles, Vultures
W.T. Deer
Bobcat
Coyotes
Foxes
Otter
Mink
Skunk
Racoon
Woodchucks

I may have left out a couple, if it comes to me I'll update!
For you military guys, I've seen WartHogs aka A-10's   ;D
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

sprucebunny

Ermine, bear, fisher, bobcat walked right by the front door once. Moose, deer, red and grey squirrels, porcupines ::) , flying squirrels live in my attic and have had 10 IN the house at once.... chipmunks, snowshoe hare, many mice and some jumping mice.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

woodroe

From biggest to smallest:
Moose, Bulls, Cows and calves
Black Bear
Whitetails a plenty, 5 this morning
Bobcat
Coyote
Fox both gray and red
Bald Eagle
Turkeys by the dozens
Ring neck pheasants
Beaver
Porkies
Fisher
Rabbit
Ermine
Milk snakes (big)back when we had lumber piles.
Still watching for Sasquatch.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

Chuck White

I've shot quite a few critters from my back porch, including deer and coyotes!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

YellowHammer

I haven't seen him (or her) yet but I keep looking.  According to reliable witnesses, there was a Class A Bigfoot sighting on our farm border road (Old Limestone) a few years ago, as documented by the well known and established BFRO (Bigfoot Research Organization).  

The sighting was reported by the husband who was watching TV, laying on the couch, while his wife was at work.  He saw it through the plastic windows from their single wide trailer.  

Later, one of the neighbors even put up a Bigfoot Crossing sign to protect unwary motorists.

I keep looking, but nothing so far.  Every time my wife goes to work, I lay on the couch and stare out the windows.  

https://www.bfro.net/GDB/show_report.asp?id=416

YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

thecfarm

A moose. yes I said one moose.  ;D
Saw a bobcat about 20 years ago, another saw one.  ;D
Deer all the time, same as turkeys.
We feed the birds, so bunches of squirrels.
Woodchucks.
Bear, at the birdfeeder. Another saw one.  ;D
Geese, bald eagles, hawks and a bunches of birds.
Coyote, Not too many, can count them on one hand. We have fields in front of the house. Them things don't like to come out in the open around here. Wife saw one once jump the stone wall and came into the field. It turned around and went back into the woods.
Fox, skunks, porcupine.
Chipmunks all summer long.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

HemlockKing

C farm you're right on coyotes not liken to be seen, I hear them howling in packs often but rarely see them
A1

thecfarm

I hear them things howl quite often, seem like more when there is snow on the ground, than in the summer months.
That stone wall it jumped and ran back into the woods, the woods is gone. We call that The new piece. Bought back 7 acres of The Farm. I started the chainsaw and cut down all the trees and got it back as a field again. Maybe 2 acres of field. Hauled of one "stone wall" that was never built. Would haul off the other stone wall too, but rocks about 4-5 feet across is a hard move for just a 40hp tractor.  :D That one wall that I hauled off was done in the winter time. Did not have much snow fall and I worked on the rocks that was not froze into the ground. I sprayed that wall for 3 years and kept anything that was green off from it. That wall was loaded with posion ivy. I did not bother to see if it was grass, if it was green I killed it. We mow it now. I did a major leveling job with the tractor that was mentioned. We wanted to see more of the field across the road. That's one of the reason why I cut the wood off
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

mike_belben

Quote from: HemlockKing on May 10, 2021, 05:47:49 AM
C farm you're right on coyotes not liken to be seen, I hear them howling in packs often but rarely see them
There are 3 separate packs within a 1/4 mile of my house that all call to each other and set off the 25 or so dogs on the road.  Its quite the concert.  
One pack lives straight back behind me either on my land or in the pasture just behind it but they call from exactly the direction of my future home site constantly and i never find a shred of evidence.  Ive seen one day light yote there in the 5 years of this right after hay was cut off.  Snow never lasts long enough to figure it out either.  Drives me nuts. 
Praise The Lord

Edvantage

Saw a Fisher today.  First I've seen here. Hardly a day goes by I don't see something around here. Amazing the variety. 

aigheadish

We've got some wildlife, but I'd love to have more.

There are often deer running across the back field. We hear coyote often but seldom see them. 

A story for the 'yotes: My wife and I met when we both lived in the same urban neighborhood, where the houses are literally within reach of each other. We both grew up in the country to some extent but I think we'd been out of it enough to not remember some of the critters and noises. Well, she and I moved in together in a house we bought in the country, right as Spring was really starting to hit. First, we noticed, from our little pond, THOUSANDS of little peeper frogs that make a ton of noise. Next, one night, when we were still pretty new to living out there, it was about 2am and we both woke up to some of the most terrible noise I'd ever heard. Turns out that it had to be a pack of coyotes running up our driveway. Extremely loud and kind of scary! If you haven't heard that noise it's very interesting and intimidating.

We have snakes, like this little guy that almost got mowed over:

We've got lots of turkey vultures like these, though I've only seen them do this once, when we looked out back and saw about 10 hanging out in the trees like this, pretty unnerving:

Currently the cicadas are winding down, this picture is from when they were winding up:

And our latest friend is a wild turkey that started hanging around about a week and a half ago. It's all by itself and seems to be trying to find a mate, with no luck so far. After it'd hung around for a few days my daughter decided to call it Gravy. Two days later my wife, without knowing what my daughter called it, decided to call it Gravy! Weird!

I've also seen heron, ducks, squirrels, tons of other birds, bats, groundhogs, probably muskrats, and I'm sure there are more I'm missing. Luckily no skunks! I don't know why.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

Quote from: aigheadish on June 18, 2021, 08:19:48 AM
We've got some wildlife, but I'd love to have more.

There are often deer running across the back field. We hear coyote often but seldom see them.

A story for the 'yotes: My wife and I met when we both lived in the same urban neighborhood, where the houses are literally within reach of each other. We both grew up in the country to some extent but I think we'd been out of it enough to not remember some of the critters and noises. Well, she and I moved in together in a house we bought in the country, right as Spring was really starting to hit. First, we noticed, from our little pond, THOUSANDS of little peeper frogs that make a ton of noise. Next, one night, when we were still pretty new to living out there, it was about 2am and we both woke up to some of the most terrible noise I'd ever heard. Turns out that it had to be a pack of coyotes running up our driveway. Extremely loud and kind of scary! If you haven't heard that noise it's very interesting and intimidating.

We have snakes, like this little guy that almost got mowed over:

We've got lots of turkey vultures like these, though I've only seen them do this once, when we looked out back and saw about 10 hanging out in the trees like this, pretty unnerving:

Currently the cicadas are winding down, this picture is from when they were winding up:

And our latest friend is a wild turkey that started hanging around about a week and a half ago. It's all by itself and seems to be trying to find a mate, with no luck so far. After it'd hung around for a few days my daughter decided to call it Gravy. Two days later my wife, without knowing what my daughter called it, decided to call it Gravy! Weird!

I've also seen heron, ducks, squirrels, tons of other birds, bats, groundhogs, probably muskrats, and I'm sure there are more I'm missing. Luckily no skunks! I don't know why.
Coyotes get really "yappy" or "yelpy" as I'd call it around here, always 3 or 4 at once but will have you believing it's 10+. We got the peepers too and love to hear them, I sleep best with a background or white noise, when peepers show up I crack my window to hear them.
A1

woodroe

Had a Black Bear in the field late yesterday .
Good size fella, browsing on wild strawberries. 
First one I ever saw out in the open here. 
Had one come through a couple years back in the night.
The 50 gal compost tumbler and stand got pushed over and moved 
about 10 feet, cover all scratched up trying to open it.

Skidding firewood with a kubota L3300.

mike_belben

i can remember when the lack of traffic and cackle of tree frogs kept me up, and now i cant sleep without it.  if the tree frogs are quiet at night something is going on and ill just wake up.

yesterday im on my porch doing laundry like any good redneck and the dogs bolt.  i look up and a little spotted fawn is jumping over the fence to get out of my yard just before the dog gets it, then bolts down the street bleeting its head off.

went for a walk in my woods at 530 this morning checking on some meth head action.  about to leave when one heck of a racket starts up.  sounded like metal banging and clanging or someone smashing something with a stick i guessed.  i thought to myself old crazy across the way has himself a gettin high fort over on the abandoned lot right near my line.  that explains a lot.  so i head that direction and another strange sound starts up.. im thinking what in the heck is he actually doin over there.. and eventually realized thats a deer blowing at me.  now im wondering what was that deer smoking to be making that crazy racket!  he was sure tearing his house up before i came along.
Praise The Lord

WV Sawmiller

It would be a pretty long list if I could remember them all:

Mammals - deer, rabbits, coons, groundhogs, possums, fox squirrels, cat squirrels, chipmunks, fairydiddles, bears, foxes, skunks, bobcats, coyotes (1- suddenly deceased - never interrupt my deer hunting), etc.

Right now deer are everywhere including getting in the yard almost daily. I have a fawn that was born and stays parked near my woodshed less than 50 yards from my house. We had one born and raised in the spring run behind the yard fence 35 yards from my house 2 years ago. 

Reptiles - garter snakes, copperheads, assorted water snakes, ringneck snakes, black rat snakes, box shell terrapins, et al.

Amphibians - bullfrogs in the creek in the front yard, toads and assorted frogs in the ditch and spring run in the back yard. Sometimes it is hard to sleep for them in the spring. I've heard then peeping with snow on the ground. 

Birds - turkeys, red-tailed hawks, turkey vultures, grouse, barred owls, screech owls, eastern bluebirds, woodpeckers (Hairy, downy, pileated, hummingbirds, red-bellied, yellowhammers), swallows, sapsuckers, robins, titmice, wrens, blue jays, cardinals, orioles, grackles, crows, blue herons, and many, many more I am forgetting.

The creek in my front yard is full of chubs and darters and other "minnows" in the summer months plus more crawfish than I like to think about.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Thank You Sponsors!