The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Blade Life Expectancy  (Read 1021 times)

Offline Tacotodd

• Senior Member x2
  • To learn and help
    • Share Post
Re: Blade Life Expectancy
« Reply #20 on: June 04, 2021, 05:26:54 AM »
Iím ďassumingĒ similar to what happens when youíre at the grinder to long with a chainsaw chain. 
Trying harder everyday.

Offline SawyerTed

• Senior Member x2
  • Summey Lumber Services, LLC
    • Share Post
Re: Blade Life Expectancy
« Reply #21 on: June 04, 2021, 11:34:48 AM »
I tended to run my blades too long in the beginning.  I ran my blades until they created a problem.  About 1/4 of my lumber had sawing quality issues like waves on the face or edge, ridges from teeth being out of set, and "snipe" at the beginning of a cut.

When I started sharpening my own, I started changing blades more often.  Blade life and board feet per blade over the blade's life have gone up.  Fewer blades break early in their life, I can cut consistently faster, the mill runs better and the lumber is better. Sharpening is faster and doesn't wear the CBN wheel as fast.  More frequent blade changes also helps eliminate the production of embarrassing lumber.

I had to convince myself that blades are like paper towels, they will only last so long and they are cheap enough to change as necessary.  Blades are like oil filters, running one too long just creates problems so I change them often.  The expense of changing a blade that's still cutting ok is more than made up in quality of the lumber and customer satisfaction (repeat customers and referrals).  

It's the blade and the individual teeth where the the action is, all the rest of the sawmill apparatus is there to put the blade in the log at sufficient speed and with sufficient support to cut true.  A dull blade defeats all that other apparatus and makes "designer firewood" (a commonly used Forum term that I borrowed from somewhere).

There's a point at which a blade is still sharp and not yet dull, that's the point at which to change it.  Learning that point makes for better sawing.
Woodmizer LT35HD25, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Ram 3500 6.7 Cummins

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
LT40 Super blade guide life expectancy.

Started by Dave Shepard on Sawmills and Milling

5 Replies
Last post September 24, 2018, 09:40:08 PM
by YellowHammer
xx
Woodmaster life expectancy

Started by Button on Firewood and Wood Heating

2 Replies
Last post January 01, 2011, 04:42:39 PM
by Button