The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Does anyone have a trailer for sale that has been modified for loading logs?  (Read 1008 times)

Offline burdman_22

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I'm interested in a trailer that has been modified for loading logs if anyone has anything like that for sale. Maybe like a log loading arch thingy? I'm tired of dragging logs up onto trailers with a winch...haha. (also I dont even have my own trailer yet, so would be nice to buy one already customized to suit my needs)

I have read, understand, and agree to the terms of posting an ad on the Forestry Forum.

Offline jmouton

• never enough time
    • Share Post
    • Log-Gistics
how heavy duty of a trailer you want,,,i have about 4 trailers in various states of rebuilding
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

Offline burdman_22

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I'd like a double axle at least 14 ft long. Would love some capable of handling 3 ft diameter logs

Offline Tom the Sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • Converting your logs to lumber at my home or yours
    • Share Post
    • Tom the Sawyer Portable Sawmill Service
Should be looking for a trailer rated at least 14,000 lbs. GVWR.  Double axle trailers usually start with ratings of 7k, go to 10k, 14k, etc..  A 36"x13' oak log will go about 7500 pounds, probably over the payload rating for a 10k trailer.  GVWR includes the weight of the trailer and, if a log lifting arch has been added, along with a couple of tail trailer jacks and a winch/battery, that all reduces your allowable payload.
07 TK B-20, Custom log arch, 20' trailer w/log loading arch, F350 flatbed dually dump.  Piggy-back forklift.  LS tractor w/FEL, Bobcat S250 w/grapple, Stihl 025C 16", Husky 372XP 24/30" bars, Grizzly 20" planer, Nyle L200M DH kiln.
If you call and my wife says, "He's sawin logs", I ain't snoring.

Offline burdman_22

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I drive a 2008 Silverado 1500, so I dont need anything too monstrous. For my truck standard towing is listed as 7300 pounds. It will be rare for me to be hauling anything 3 ft in diameter....normally anything over 3 ft wide I just mill myself with my chainsaw. 

I'd say a 10k trailer would be all I'd need, else I risk having so much trailer it maxes out my towing capacity before I have anything loaded, haha.

Offline tacks Y

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
I have a little trailer 10' (not selling) but I made so fender removes. I would roll logs over the side not the best but it works. Now that I am older I use a wheel loader and dump truck or bigger trailer. 

Offline fluidpowerpro

• Hi there!
    • Share Post
Check out a guy named Matt Cremona. You can find him on the web. He recently built a nice arch type trailer that he hauls some really big logs with. You could probably start with a standard trailer and add the arch yourself if your so inclined.
Change is hard....
Especially when a jar full falls off the top shelf and hits the top of your head!

Offline burdman_22

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Yeah I've seen Matt Cremona's. That is what I want, but I dont have the time to build anything like that. I've contacted some fabrication shops in my area but havent been able to get anyone to even give me a quote on something like that :/

Offline Iwawoodwork

• Share Post
Usually the axles with 5 lug bolts are a 3500# axle and the 6 lug axles about 5000# each. A flat deck trailer with the bed above/over the tires will be easier for side loading/unloading logs/lumber.  If you want to end load from the back then the fenders are not such and issue but can end up with a less versatile trailer because the fenders/tires get in the way. I have both types.

Offline ajsawyer

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
This is what you need: https://youtu.be/Ckh6VHfzP_0

Offline burdman_22

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
@ajsawyer Actually this wouldn't be good for me at all. I want something I can haul multiple logs with, and something that will work as a normal trailer too (I have to have a trailer to haul my chainsaw around on).

Offline Daburner87

• Dusty
    • Share Post
In this vid he loads multiple logs...

Pretty *DanG cool trailer, but I understand what you are saying about having normal trailer use and not just a specialty log trailer.  A flat deck trailer with side rails and a winch seems like the best option for you.
Soon to be  owner of a HM130Max Woodlander XL

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
question about loading logs onto the trailer

Started by Robert R on Forestry and Logging

37 Replies
Last post March 14, 2005, 08:53:20 PM
by Furby
xx
Poulin 17' 30,000 LBS. Forestry Trailer Self-Loading Log Trailer

Started by 2StateTrigger on For Sale

6 Replies
Last post June 28, 2019, 05:48:10 PM
by 2StateTrigger