iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Bees--- birds

Started by Peter Drouin, June 27, 2021, 08:46:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Peter Drouin

I have none, Maybe a hand full I've seen in the yard.
Last year I had a bunch. Hummingbirds-- I have 2, last year I had 10+
Just asking how there are where you live.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Chuck White

They seem to have thinned out in this area too!

Used to have so many we couldn't figure out "how many", this year I don't think I've see 2 at the same time!

This is unusual!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Tacotodd

We had 3 at the same time last year, but usually 1 & 2. I've seen 2, but at different times, might have been the same 1. 

Don't know and didn't think about it until I saw this thread. say_what
Trying harder everyday.

thecfarm

We feed the birds all summer, no difference in the amount that eat black oil sunflower seeds.
But no Baltimore orioles this year. Last year I had to get another feeder because I would get 2 at one time.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Chuck White

We have lots of Orioles here, so far, I've gone through 3 jars of grape jelly!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

SwampDonkey

Lots of birds here, although the goldfinch population is a little smaller this year. They don't nest until the thistles seed. There's one little bird in the spruce trees, he sings all day long. Must be a warbler of some sort. Brown thrashers are around this year again, they do not come every year. Blue birds here and at brother's down the road. Swallows came and went after one of a nesting pair died in the cold weather. Barn swallows are here, wanted to build a nest under the porch eve, drove them off. Lots of black birds, the lawn was busy with them last week, grackles. Seen vultures, turkeys, eagles, geese, harriers, herons. Never here a blue jay during nesting, then come September they are ready to carry off the place. They'll be in them beech nuts this year, tree is loaded.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

aigheadish

We have 8-10 hives on the property so lots of bees, not sure if it's more or less than the past few years they've been out there. They aren't my hives, I just host them in my yard and get free honey.

We've got lots of birds too, probably the "normal" amount of hummingbirds. I think typically we get more (or they've had babies) at the end of the summer, when there can be 20-30 of them around. 

I'm not sure how the cicadas treated the whole animal community this year, if it had an effect or not. They seem like they'd be delicious bird food, but I don't know.
New Holland LB75b, Husqvarna 455 Rancher, Husqvarna GTH52XLS, Hammerhead 250, Honda VTX1300 for now and probably for sale (let me know if you are interested!)

HemlockKing

Lots of birds here, off the top of
My head:
Blue jay
Chickadee
Red breasted nut hatch
White breasted nut hatch
Swainsons thrush
Grackle
Mourning dove
Dark eyed junco
Downy wood pecker
Pileated wood pecker(tons)
Cardinal
Singing sparrow

No shortage of wax or honey bees here
A1

SwampDonkey

Less bumbles this year here, but the flowers on the grapes are getting attention.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

KEC

SwampDonkey, Though they are more likely to be in hardwoods, Red-eyed Vireos sing all day long this time of year. They are uasually well up in the canopy.

HemlockKing

IThe swainsons thrush calls near dusk are my favourite. Feels like paradise walking through with the sun just breaking through the canopy and hearing that
A1

SwampDonkey

KEC, that is what it sounds like from audio I here on Cornell. smiley_thumbsup

There is maple, cherry and poplar in with the spruce trees.

SwampDonkey

Just saw the brown thrasher strutting across the lawn. Hard to get a picture of the little bugger. :)

And saw a young flock of ruffed grouse, musta been 6 babies with momma. This was at work out beyond settlements.

Peter Drouin

No bees still. Had a family of hummers, 4 little ones I think. 
All gone south I think.
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Peter Drouin

Had a customer tell me to take the hummers feeders down so the hummers will go south. 
If left out they will stay and not leave, Anyone seen that?
A&P saw Mill LLC.

btulloh

It's a popular misconception. Leave 'em up. They need the calories. They leave based on shortened daylight, weather reports, satellite imagery, and traffic reports along the route. 

HM126

Chuck White

Some time ago, one of my brothers told me that it was a law that the feeders had to be taken down by the 11th of September, (added) I told him to "show me"!

I leave mine up until frost time, the ones North of me might need some nourishment on their way South!

Onthesauk

Here, 70 miles north of Seattle, the Anna's stay all winter and the Rufus head south.
John Deere 3038E
Sukuki LT-F500

Don't attribute irritating behavior to malevolence when mere stupidity will suffice as an explanation.

thecfarm

Leave them up!! They need energy for the trip South.
Mother Nature will tell them things when to leave the Glaciered North.
No frost here, and none in sight. Might be another year where I won't get a frost until late Oct.   :o
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Peter Drouin

Thanks, I'm going to leave them up. It's 50° here this morning. 
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Roxie

My niece has 3 hives she tends and were it not for them, now that you mention it, there haven't been as many bees and wasps as in a normal summer. My spring purchase of Raid wasp spray sits unopened under the sink. 

I specifically plant to attract bees, butterflies and birds and this year the usual suspects have shown up. The swallow boxes that the Amish place above their gardens are in full swing too. They were relieved to see them after the Texas and points south freeze this past year. 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!