iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Balancing my log arch

Started by BeeBazaar, August 09, 2023, 03:28:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BeeBazaar

I'm not sure if it is my at h style I made it what, but it seems I can't find a sweet spot to balance a log when I carry it.  But maybe I'm looking for something impractical.  I thought if I had it balanced right. The front would almost float with minimal effort.  The handle is removable and I am in the process of making a hitch.

g_man

doc henderson

can you put and inverted V on the tongue to center the front of the log.  I think you may not be balanced but need the ground pressure to be minimal.  It may be different pulled behind a vehicle (tongue weight) vs hand pulled.  It looks like you plan to hand pull.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

rusticretreater

Those are the smallest wheels I have ever seen on a log arch.  Small wheels easily get stuck in ruts and are harder to pull over rough terrain.  I know its a lot of work, but you might want to go to a bigger wheel size.

I would also recommend side braces for your long tongue.  I can guarantee that you will have flex under a heavy load and going around turns. Especially if you are pulling it with a tractor or RTV.

As Doc suggested, an inverted V from the tongue downward would keep the log from tipping upwards in front.  This would allow you to have the cable under the heaviest part of the log.
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

woodman52

It will balance if you get the pick point just right. I would start with a much smaller log and use a set of tongs to pick it with. They are much easier to reposition than a wrapped chain. It is trial and error until you do it a bunch. Start roughly in the middle a little toward the base of the tree and move the pick point toward which ever end stays on the ground. Don't attach the front of the log until you have your balance point where you want it. You will want the front to be a little heavy but not so heavy that it is difficult to pick up. 
Cooks HD3238 mill, loader tractor +, small wood processor, Farmi 501 winch, Wallenstein LX115 forwarding trailer, 60 ac hardwood, certified tree farm

BeeBazaar

I'm trying to not drag the log if possible.

I made the arch a bit different.  The wheels are 16" tall.  putting some side bracing is on the agenda, its not completely done yet though.  But i have used it a couple times.  the front handle comes off and I am making a hitch that slides in its place, but it also has a front arch so I can use it on 4 wheels.  My steering need some changes though, also on the agenda.

But there are some places where I cant use a tractor or anything to pull the log out and it must be done on foot.  its 2" w/ 3/16" wall.  it might flex some but i can only carry a 24" OD and cut to 10' length so the logs are not huge.  but there will be some side braces.

The inverted V was going to be a part of the Hitch, maybe Ill make one for use by hand too.  I guess I didn't think it would do anything to really balance it vs just strapping to the tongue itself.

it just seems no matter what where I pick it up, it never feels balanced
thanks

doc henderson

so if using it as a hand cart, then the log should have a bit of back weight, and as you pull down on the tow handle, it elevates the log in the middle and pushes down on the front of the log to make it parallel to the ground and have it all off the ground.  with the tongue up so high, it makes for a tougher time to lift the log.  with the winch so high, it may also make a break over point that makes it hard to hole the arch in a balanced position.  both of these do give more room under the arch.  hard to describe but hope it makes sense.  looks like a great project.
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

BeeBazaar

Thanks!  I was kinda wondering if the height played a roll.  I really didn't want to use a boat winch and this was about as low as I could go with the chain hoist.   Hopefully it's minimal that I have to do this by hand.....

Sixacresand

Position tongs so rear end lifts first and heavy end is forward, which puts down pressure rear of tractor.  Don't even consider moving by hand.  
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Thank You Sponsors!