iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Build a Flatbed

Started by firefighter ontheside, April 26, 2022, 02:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

firefighter ontheside

Has anyone built a flatbed?  The flatbed on the truck I bought is very rusted, so I've been looking for one to buy.  Then last night it occurred to me I should build one.  I've considered building one mostly of wood, but also building one of a combination of aluminum and wood.  I like the idea of one with a wood deck.  Obviously I can cut my own white oak to use and to replace it when it goes bad.  The headache rack will likely need to be all metal.  I don't like the one I have thats hard to see thru.  I kind of have a design in mind where I use aluminum as cross members and 2x6 on the deck.  I'm bidding on some aluminum tube that I think will be suitable.  I will go look at it this week to make sure.  I may have to have someone do some welding for me.  Not only does the rusty one look like crap, but I think a wooden one will look good for what I'm doing with this truck.  
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

PoginyHill

I built a dump body for my one-ton dually. Has removable sides, so it can be a flatbed. I built it with a metal rectangular tube frame and side posts and wooden bed and sides. you can purchase a hoist kit for the dump - 12V electric.
Kubota M7060 & B2401, Metavic log trailer, Cat E70B, Cat D5C, 750 Grizzly ATV, Wallenstein FX110, 84" Landpride rotary hog, Classic Edge 750, Stihl 170, 261, 462

Resonator

I'm kind of kicking around the idea of a build myself, there are videos and how-to articles online. The high salt highway diet is killing my '07 Ram, and I'm going to have to do bodywork soon, and may just change out the rusty pickup box for a flatbed. I would build mine out of steel if I do, and would permanently mount winches on the sides along with stake pockets for side boards. Aluminum is lighter weight, but more expensive than steel and something I've never welded.
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

Old Greenhorn

Bill, is it rusted and rotted through, or just rusty? My son re-does his truck chassis and trailer frames every year or two with a needle gun and then some fancy thick expensive paint that makes it look great and it pretty tough. I can get the name of that stuff if you think it might help.
 If not, perhaps consider building that bed so that it can be made into a dump further down the road. Makes unloading logs a lot easier!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Roundhouse

I didn't build this one but it is steel and wood. It was on the truck when I bought and I figured I would replace the wood decking. Surprisingly the wood has held up well enough I haven't done anything with it yet just used as is. This truck isn't run in the winter or on salted roads, it also helps to have the back tipped with not in use and let the rain roll off. Yes that is a hole patched with chipboard that was there when I bought it and shockingly has withstood many loads of sand and gravel. It's handy to remove the sideboards when needed and even though the truck is on it's last legs this bed will probably see another use when the truck is done.

Woodland Mills HM130, 1995 F350 7.3L, 1994 F350 flatbed/crane, 1988 F350 dump, Owatonna 770 rough terrain forklift, 1938 Allis-Chalmers reverse WC tractor loader, 1979 Ford CL340 Skid Steer, 1948 Allis-Chalmers B, 1988 Yamaha Moto-4 200, various chain saws

bluthum

I don't have a wood floored flat bed any more but when I did it was nice to be able to fasten directly to the deck with screws or even nails when hauling some thing fragile  that needed a meticulous hold down.

firefighter ontheside

Tom, several of the crossmembers under the bed are almost gone and theres not much holding the headache rack on, but rust.  As Roundhouse pointed out, tipping the bed while parked will keep water from collecting there, especially when leaves and other debris have clogged any gaps that exist.  Luckily where I park it in the future will be sloped.  

Bluthum, that's another good point about a wood bed.  I have done that on my trailer and its nice to be able to do.  I will use this truck to deliver projects that I have built.  It will be nice to not have to cart the 18' trailer all the time.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

21incher

I think you should contact Jeff. He built the most awesome one for Mr Truck  smiley_smash
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

Well then, if it's shot there is no way to go but UP!
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

firefighter ontheside

I forgot about Mr Truck.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

muggs

I have built a couple of them. Buying all the stuff at a truck supple place. I would not do it again, too expensive. I would try and find a used one and modify it.

firefighter ontheside

I have considered that option, if I come across the right bed that will modify the way I want it to look.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Crusarius

Quote from: Old Greenhorn on April 26, 2022, 03:13:30 PM
Bill, is it rusted and rotted through, or just rusty? My son re-does his truck chassis and trailer frames every year or two with a needle gun and then some fancy thick expensive paint that makes it look great and it pretty tough. I can get the name of that stuff if you think it might help.
If not, perhaps consider building that bed so that it can be made into a dump further down the road. Makes unloading logs a lot easier!
I bet you anything its called POR-15. good stuff but pricey.

Crusarius

I have been wanting to build replacement beds for trucks for a while. Just never had any customers. And I only have one truck that the bed is still good on.

Feel like making a trip to NY? Could get you a pretty nice custom flatbed.

thecfarm

I had a flatbed on one of trucks, no dump. The body was not long enough!! When I would push gravel out of the body, it would land on the bumper. I built an extension to solve that problem. 
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gere Flewelling

From my experience, if you have an 8' bed on your pickup you need to make your flatbed a foot longer to clear the bumper.  Other wise you will always have what ever you have in your body building up on the top of the bumper.  I have found that a swing down tailgate never works well as the body is higher than the original.  I have built a couple of permanently mounted steel tailgates that swing off to the sides that have worked well for me.  I will try to post a couple of pictures when I get a chance.
Old 🚒 Fireman and Snow Cat Repairman (retired)
Matthew 6:3-4

firefighter ontheside

Thanks Crusarius, but a trip to NY is not likely.  
Now I found a used solid aluminum Hillsboro brand bed for $1000 I'm considering.  Won't look neat like I want, but also a lot less work.

Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Dakota

I built this flatbed a few years ago for my little red dully.

Dave Rinker

hedgerow

Quote from: firefighter ontheside on April 27, 2022, 08:54:25 AM
Thanks Crusarius, but a trip to NY is not likely.  
Now I found a used solid aluminum Hillsboro brand bed for $1000 I'm considering.  Won't look neat like I want, but also a lot less work.
If the bed in good shape I would get there and get it bought. You can't touch a aluminum one around here for thousand dollars. I had a Hillsboro on a 2005 ford for fifteen years. Bed was still in great shape when I sold the truck. Drove the truck every winter in the salt. 

Crusarius

I agree with hedgrow. You should already have that bed.

firefighter ontheside

Thanks guys.  I have already messaged him and told him I could be there tomorrow morning with cash.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

firefighter ontheside

Dakota, that looks really nice.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Resonator

Looks solid, check for any cracks/breaks in the aluminum, and how it was bolted down to the truck frame. I would probably switch out the tail lights and markers to LED's if they aren't already. smiley_thumbsup
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

barbender

Yes, that's an excellent price!
Too many irons in the fire

moodnacreek

Buy that body. Have you seen what metal cost?

Thank You Sponsors!