The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: First (big to me) mill job  (Read 1230 times)

Offline KenMac

• I'm not as new as I was. but often feel very old!
    • Share Post
    • ItGrowsOnTreesWoodworks.com
Re: First (big to me) mill job
« Reply #20 on: May 14, 2022, 09:47:34 PM »
I figure board footage at actual lumber size. I do saw 1/8 over for nominal dimensions. ( 1 5/8x 5 5/8 for 2x6).
Also a Construction Master 5 calculator greatly simplifies the math. About $50 at Lowe's or HD.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #21 on: May 14, 2022, 10:12:43 PM »
   Calculate the bf based on whatever you discuss with the client before sawing! Some use the nominal dimensions, some use the actual (I.e a 6/4 board is calculated as 1.5" instead of 2"). I agree on the less than 1" is calculated as an inch but that is listed on my website and I discuss it with the client. I bill 5/4 as 1.25" but 1-1/16" to 1-1/8" I bill as 1".

Some people calculate the bf of a log as an estimate from a table. Others use actually bf tally at the end of the job. The estimate protects the sawyer if the client brings a log that does not produce good lumber as expected. The actual bf can reward the sawyer if the log yields more than the log rules/estimates.

All methods are fair as long as you discuss and agree before sawing or selling lumber.

Every job is a learning experience so you should get more efficient (and more valuable) the more you saw. Don't be afraid to try new techniques but don't be ashamed to admit to a client it is new to you before messing with his wood. I often cut a practice log from my stock before trying the technique on client logs. Barring that I tell him it is new to me but I will try if he wants me to.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline WV Sawmiller

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
    • Green's Sawmill Services
« Reply #22 on: May 21, 2022, 04:29:06 PM »
   How is this job coming? Did you finish yet? Any more lessons learned to share with the rest of us?
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2009 4wd Dodge PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Sthil 440 & 441, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once"

Offline Kombucha20

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
« Reply #23 on: June 06, 2022, 08:36:00 AM »
I did finish the job, it was around 1500 board feet. I told the guy it was gonna be around 1200$ and I would show him a breakdown of what I did. Then I was in a lumber grading course for 2 weeks and wasnít talking to the customer and the he showed up at my house with 1200$ for me and I said i can get the computer and show him and he said I didnít have to and he was good with it. So in the end I charged 60$ milling time and 30$ an hour for labour. Iím happy with what I got 

On another note I just got my lumber grading license! 

Offline Stephen1

• Senior Member x2
  • Where there is a will, there is a way!
    • Share Post
    • muskoka Sawmill
« Reply #24 on: June 06, 2022, 09:14:43 AM »
Congratulations Kombucha20. What grading license did you get and where are you located?
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter