iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The value of a tree and how do you pay yourself?

Started by WV Sawmiller, May 15, 2022, 10:14:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oddman

Without more efficient skidding i find myself tempted and sometimes for time-sake its necessary, that I harvest a tree closer to the mill sight that is not at its peak when i know of other timber in hard to access areas that is at or near its peak. Also many old junk trees that are great for firewood that have been passed up in years past need pulled out and processed but some are really big or in bad spots. So a skidder would solve most of this by increasing efficiency therefore allowing better management of the timber stands.

Also I am constantly cruising timber. Can't even take the family out to the woods for a camp/cookout without taking time to cruise a tract...I told my wife i could cruise timber all day, it just doesnt get old.

WV Sawmiller

Oddman,

Are you sawing your trees into lumber or selling the logs? You sound like you're growing a lot more timber than I am.

I got all of the tree in the original post except the 21' butt log down to the mill. I finally cut it into a 6'  and a 14' butt log today. I got the 6' log out of the woods with my ATV and am comfortable I can snake it out with my little JD tractor if it does not rain too much tomorrow. I got the 14' true butt log close enough to the gate I have a cable on it and through a snatch block. Now I need one more cable to hook to it and the tractor and I think it will pull out.

The 14' butt log will fill a customer order for 14' 2X8 and 2X4s and the 6' will be stock 2x4 for composting toilets and 1X12's for birdhouse tops.

I will think long and hard before I cut another one that big unless its a straight shot to the mill.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Oddman

I am sawing into lumber. Also we produce 50ish cord of firewood per year for our own use. Approximately 600 acres of timber, basically all hardwood. I hear you on the large trees being about too much to handle...I generally look for something around 16" dbh that needs to be culled, skidding the big ones turns into a project all their own. 

Im the fourth generation of us thats taking timber off our place. We had an old circle mill in operation till about the time i was born, then i got our current mill about 4 years ago. My grandpa and great grandpa started harvesting here with crosscuts, axes, horses, and a buzz saw rig in the fiftys. Cut firewood for $3 a rick, that was main income for years. Grandpa said they finally raised it to $4...oh, and that was Delivered

Oddman

I would love to have some poplar like that. My younger brother moved out to east TN and we get out to visit him bout every year. Seeing all the timber in the smoky mnt national park makes my mouth water. Could probably build a house with one of those giant poplar trees.

Thank You Sponsors!