iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw logs to buy

Started by DixieReb31, May 16, 2022, 01:38:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DixieReb31

So, I was looking at FB marketplace to possibly buy some saw logs when I was overtaken with sticker shock!  One gal wanted $500 for two 8' long 18" diameter Cypress logs.  I saw where another was wanting over $150 for a 12' 15" ERC log.  You come and get and You load.  Am I that out of touch?  Where are you guys buying your logs?
WM LT35HD, John Deere 2040, John Deere 4044 w/FEL, Grapple, forks.

rusticretreater

People see and hear that lumber prices are skyrocketing so they think their tree is made of gold.  Craigslist is full of postings like that.  The prices just make me laugh and I see the postings stay there for months until they expire.

I have never paid for a log(yet), though I have been tempted.  I find great logs every now and then on craigslist for free and I also keep my eyes open for other opportunities while driving down the road.  Folks in my turning club know I have a saw mill and have offered me trees they were having taken down.

Find the raw board foot prices by species in your area, estimate the board feet in the log(doyle scale) and that's your baseline price.  Nudge it for gas and stuff.  Every cent you give away is less profit!
Woodland Mills HM130 Max w/ Lap siding upgrade
Kubota BX25
Wicked Grapple, Wicked Toothbar
Homemade Log Arch
Big Tex 17' trailer with Log Arch
Warn Winches 8000lb and 4000lb
Husqvarna 562xp
2,000,000th Forestry Forum Post

Stephen1

I buy logs from a local arborist all the time. Our price we pay is .40C a bd ft. international scale. He delivers the logs to our yard. We get lots and lots of EWP @ 10' lengths ( Board and Batton)and most are in the #2 or better, and 16" + small ends. I will take smaller if they are not full of branchs. I also buy hardwood at the same price, and we only take +20" on the small end. Mostly Maple, Ash, and Cherry. If he finds WO he will bring them but we have RO in this part of the world and no market for RO. 
I can also order longer EWP logs if I have a custom order but , patience is the game as I have to wait for him to find That size in EWP.
It's a great deal for both of us. He uses 2 mini excavators for his arborist buisness which saves on bad backs. I also get logs the proper length, 10'4" and some 8'4" when the log is to heavy. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

moodnacreek

Quote from: Stephen1 on May 16, 2022, 02:13:01 PM
I buy logs from a local arborist all the time. Our price we pay is .40C a bd ft. international scale. He delivers the logs to our yard. We get lots and lots of EWP @ 10' lengths ( Board and Batton)and most are in the #2 or better, and 16" + small ends. I will take smaller if they are not full of branchs. I also buy hardwood at the same price, and we only take +20" on the small end. Mostly Maple, Ash, and Cherry. If he finds WO he will bring them but we have RO in this part of the world and no market for RO.
I can also order longer EWP logs if I have a custom order but , patience is the game as I have to wait for him to find That size in EWP.
It's a great deal for both of us. He uses 2 mini excavators for his arborist buisness which saves on bad backs. I also get logs the proper length, 10'4" and some 8'4" when the log is to heavy.
This a  real good post about a relationship that I would consider valuable. 

KenMac

The only way I will pay for logs is if they are delivered to my mill. Then, mostly that's more to help the folks out than to procure logs. To me, logs have no value until they're at the mill. Truly valuable logs like white oak or walnut might be a different story, but I never have been down that road yet.
Cook's AC3667t, Cat Claw sharpener, Dual tooth setter, and Band Roller, Kubota B26 TLB, Takeuchi TB260C

Don P

Those people want a yard boy. We did something different last year. A neighbor had a small boundary of timber they wanted to sell that didn't get much interest from the loggers. We were working on a job with no trees to speak of and needed wood. We bought the timber rights for 10 years. 

Thank You Sponsors!