iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Makin'?

Started by Old Greenhorn, May 20, 2022, 07:58:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom K

Quote from: Larry on January 27, 2023, 10:44:39 AM
I'm just a hack when it comes to forging.  I would love to have your skills and knowledge about the craft.
Ha! I'm just a hack for sure. Maybe the picture make stuff look better then they are? I didn't get started until a few years ago. I spent a little time in the forge in '19-'20, then life got in the way the last 2 years and I haven't gotten out there much. Now that the wood shop is done I hope to spend more time in both shops this year.
A couple more pictures I found of some hooks.

I made this table for my wife 2 years ago. I have an idea floating around in my head for a similar style coffee table with a piece of metal "art' on the ends.

Hilltop366

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 27, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Engine cover for a SpaceX booster???

I was thinking a round pool table.

21incher

Quote from: tule peak timber on January 27, 2023, 12:03:43 PM
Engine cover for a SpaceX booster???

And I thought it was a helipad for the roof of your fish camp :)

Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Old Greenhorn

I think it's a round tuit. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

newoodguy78

Needed a new door for the store going from the kitchen to the showroom. Got a little creative. 

Old Greenhorn

How did you do that? Laser? Woodburner? Neat. Looks like you got a good deal on a large box of carriage bolts! :D
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.

newoodguy78

A laser is way above my pay grade. I cut it out with my jigsaw then sanded and or filed the sharp edges down. Certainly had to be careful some of the petals depending on where they are are quite delicate. I have a piece of lexan that will go on either side to help protect it. 
Yeah I'm not a big fan of carriage bolts but they do have their place. Figured I'd use up as many as I could  :D

Walnut Beast

Looks great 👍! Get a picture when it's in place also

tule peak timber

Doing a suite of Redwood tops to a width spec. We do this by taking out pie shaped pieces from the center of wider slabs and reasonably match the grain up again at glue up. Also, more fake timber posts this week.  

persistence personified - never let up , never let down

Larry

One of those projects that got started but never finished.  Picked up a Rockwell/Delta 6 X 48" combination sander for near nothing.  It would be a huge upgrade over my Grizzly but needed lots of work.  Stripped it completely down, installed new bearings, sandblasted, and gave it new paint.

Than it sat.....I have a great Oakley edge sander and a Delta disc sander so I wasn't really motivated.

Thought it about time and I can finish it while its still cold out.  Pulled a new old stock 3-phase Marathon motor out of my rat hole.  I had a spare Teco VFD to power it.  My thought is combination sanders run the disc far to fast while the belt is on the slow side.  The VFD will give me variable speed to meet the requirements.  Pulled the motor end bells to check the bearing grease.  Hooked up the VFD and it all works.

One can say that the dust collection on these old machines did not SUCK.  I going to fab up something tomorrow.  Have to figure out how to mount the VFD than get this thing back in production.

Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

I was cleaning up the other day and pulled down a box, I couldn't remember what was in it. The snake is still awol  :D
Receipt and all, it was a gallon of epoxy wood filler from '03, I had used about half on a log home resto job and forgotten about it. I was about to chuck it and, like old milk, I had to stick my face in it and see what had grown. The stuff was pliable. I kneaded up a handful and then figured I might as well do something useful with it. Looking around...  I'm probably not a bladesmith but I made a new old keyhole saw  :D
Left it overnight in the same unheated barn it has been in all these years, and it set up, 20 year old filled epoxy, I'm amazed.

Hilltop366

Not sure if it is as good as half a roll of duct tape but it should do the job.  ;D

21incher

A. Simple Croc rack. Discovered my wife was addicted to Crocs we have a tiny master closet so made use of the last remaining space. 

My Wife Is Addicted To Crocks, Bringing Them Out From Under The Bed - YouTube
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

newoodguy78

Got it installed 

Old Greenhorn

I can't believe I am saying this but the painted side looks really nice! The natural side, of course looks better, but that paint really pops out the rosette! Nicely done!

Walnut Beast

Nice job! Looks great installed! 

newoodguy78

Yeah it bothered me to paint that nice looking wood but was pleasantly surprised with the end result. Being a commercial kitchen I wasn't exactly sure if the natural finish would satisfy the health inspector or not and didn't really care to find out. The customers and the boss are enjoying it so I'll take it as a win. 

Crusarius

I agree with OGH. beautiful work nicely done. 

21incher

Beautiful work. Can't wait to see the knob set you chose.

Don P

I figured that was the reason for the paint and it looks good. I think smooth and non porous is fine back of house, poly should work just as well as paint.

newoodguy78

Quote from: 21incher on February 09, 2023, 10:13:11 AM
Beautiful work. Can't wait to see the knob set you chose.
This door isn't going to get a lock set or handles, even though I'd like a nice wrought iron or twisted bittersweet branch handles on it. The oval cutout is the handle. The door is hung on double action saloon style hinges. They are constantly pushing bakery racks and produce carts back and forth and anything sticking out will catch the racks. The center of the batter board is set at the handles of the carts to hopefully take the brunt of the abuse from being used. 

doc henderson

still working and progressing on the ERC cookie tables.  Dallas brought some stuff from a bow bear hunt he did back in 2013.  will add these to the void and epoxy areas.

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

doc henderson

he initially did not want to put anything in there as he thought it would not be seen.  now I may convince him to do some led underlighting.  we can drill in from the under side.   ;)   8)   :)

the first few pics are after sanding the globby rough pour off and then doing multiple thick table top epoxy pours.  as I learned from the Wiard of Crap (WOC)  @tule peak timber we will do thin layers of table top epoxy, sand and repeat, not a quarter inch thick layer all at once that make cedar look like a cheap souvenir at a truck stop in western Kansas.

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!