iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Echo CS 310

Started by Dunki, September 24, 2022, 08:42:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dunki

I have a new Echo CS 310 that will be for limbing only. I'm really pleased with it so far. I think the chain(91Px) is a bit mild mannered. Is there an alternative chain for it that would be a bit more aggressive. This is the 16 inch bar, 3/8LP, .050, 57 DL bar. Could be changed to 14 inch if necessary. It might sound funny, but it looks like there's quite a bit of distance cutters!

sawguy21

I think you might be happier with the shorter bar for your intended use, 16" is imho a bit much for that saw. Purchase a couple of quality 5/16" files (Pferd, Oregon, Stihl come to mind) and learn how to sharpen properly, chains are not at their best out of the box. There are a number of tutorials here.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Guydreads

I wouldn't recommend for that saw changing anything. It definitely wouldn't run standard 3/8 or .325. The only other option which would cut faster, but probably has more risk of bending the bar etc is 1/4 inch picco chain. I think it's faster, I've never tried it though. (modified because I'm dumb lol)

lxskllr

Full chisel chain will cut faster if you keep it out of dirt. I pretty much only run Stihl chain, so I'm not familiar with Oregon's numbers, but they'd have something in full chisel for you. I'd favor the high side for the rakers. Won't take as big of a bite, but it'll be easier on the saw.

DHansen

I thought LP meant low profile.

Guydreads

Let me look it up.... Hmmmm, looks like you're right. My bad, memory failed me as usual lol

DHansen

When it comes to chains, you need to know what you want.  And be accurate with the gauge, pitch and drive link. Then pick a cutter profile for the task.  We all like aggressive cutting profiles, but too much will just load down the engine, stall the chain in the cut just simply be too much.  Then you have kerf choice.  Don't assume the guy behind the counter can pick the best cutter for your saw.  Some places don't offer all the options that are available.

Dunki

Thanks for the advice. I had actually ordered a 14 inch bar, but the dealer could only get this 16 inch saw. I have a lot of experience sharpening chains but haven't done this one since it has only run less than one tank full of fuel. Someone on here said that Echo saws have Oregon bars and chains, so I was hoping someone could recommend a particular chain to try. I guess I won't change anything for now then, but change to a 14 inch bar in the future. I don't get the LP joke?

Guydreads

Sorry, there's no joke around the LP... I was trying to be helpful but got my terms confused. LP stands for low profile as DHansen said. As far as particular chains... Oregon is my favorite, Stihl might be a little faster I guess. You could TRY filing the rakers just a hair, but you risk bogging your saw too much. For a 30cc saw there isn't much to be done for speed gains. 

Guydreads

Actually on second thought, I remembered something really cool that I saw once. They're called Panther bars. They're in 1/4" pitch, and a 20" Panther bar is equivalent to a 16" standard bar. You could at least check them out. Just look up Panther bar online. You would also have to convert sprocket to 1/4".

Guydreads

They're out of stock right now unfortunately, but you could at least keep an eye out.

DHansen

I don't have a cs310, but I do have a 2511P that I have a Oregon bar and a 3/8 LP .050 chain on it.  Chain is a 91vx or a 91 vxl. Both chains cut very well and my saw is only 25cc.  I run 52drive links, you'll need 57.  So a 91vx57.

DHansen

I don't see the need for a 14" bar since you already have the 16" bar and it is so new.  But if you do switch then try the 91vx52.  If the 2511 can pull that chain your 310 should have no problems.   I'd just stick with the 16 till it's worn out.  Right chain, kept sharp will make a difference.

Dunki

Thanks for the help. Good advice here. Saw guy was right. I assumed a new chain would be super sharp. But it wasn't. I touched it up, and discovered the rakers were a bit high as well. Once I got the chain set up, it cuts very well now. Love this little saw for light work, so easy to handle for an old guy!

Guydreads

Thank You Sponsors!