iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rifle scope for older eyes?

Started by gspren, October 25, 2022, 09:27:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gspren

I recently acquired a new hunting area where shots to 350 Yds are possible but the 250-300 range is most likely. I have numerous guns with scopes and the best gun I have for that distance is the Remington 700 BDL in 30;06 that I bought in the late 60s. It has a 3-9 Leopold Vari x 2 that was probably bought in the 70s, although it still looks reasonable it's not as crisp as the newer Burris 2-7 that's on my Marlin 44 mag. When Googling scopes I see brands I never heard of, I'm thinking I may want to get a 4-12 or higher for sitting at that spot and if I need to track through the woods I'll grab a smaller lighter gun out of the truck. What do you all think?  
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

SawyerTed

Leupold would be my choice.  Redfield used to be owned by Leupold and those were good quality.  Leupold sold Redfield  to Academy Sports apparently.  I don't know how the quality has held up. 

Since Nikon quit making scopes they are off the table. 

I don't have much experience with Burris, Vortex or Barska scopes.  They are highly rated but I've never owned any of those makes. 

When I quit buying Bushnell and Tasco scopes I bought Leupold and Redfield.  My local shop carries Leupold and Redfield. 

As far as optics a 4-12x42 or 4-12x50 would be good out to 300 yards easy. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

barbender

There's a lot of good glass to choose from anymore. Vortex gets high marks for value, but Chinese made. Their warranty and customer service are top notch though. I have a pair of Vortex binoculars, for around $200 iirc they are excellent. 

I always give Leupold a look. Honestly, I haven't bought a rifle scope in over 20 years so I'm not really up on where it's at now. My wife and I have a pair of Remington 700 Mountain Rifles, her's has a Leupold 3x9 and mine I can't remember. Leupold was having some QC issues at the time and my buddy at the gun store refused to sell me one. He gave me a good deal on this scope, it was the Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation scope is all I remember🤷‍♂️ 3x10, there's been a lot of game taken with that rifle out to 400 yards. Gonna have to go look in the gun cabinet now😊
Too many irons in the fire

Walnut Beast

As mentioned are good choices. Now if you want the absolute best then it would be Schmidt & Bender, Zeiss, Swarovski and Leica are top of the line.

Dave Shepard

You get what you pay for.  Athlon and Element Optics make very good, affordable glass. The $1,200 Athlon Eres ETR has been compared very closely with Night Force scopes costing three times as much. Element makes some amazing $400 scopes with more practical magnification ranges. 
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

gspren

Nearly all of the scopes mentioned come in several price ranges and I will eventually go and look at some. I haven't bought a scope in many years and the reason I have a newer Burris is because I sent an old one in and they replaced it no questions no cost, I killed the old one on a 12 gauge slug gun that I will never shoot again! I enjoy looking since I don't need it right away and honestly could just do without but that's no fun.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Chuck White

I recently bought a Ruger American Rifle in 6.5 Grendel and topped it with a Vortex 4X12X44 scope.

Very clear, most of my other optics are Nikon, Burris and Leupold in 3X9X40 
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

beenthere

Have heard that Vortex is the top of the line.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Larry

I'm on the email list for EuroOptic.  Nothing but quality at this place.  Occasionally they have a good buy on one of the high end scopes.  It's a cool place to browse.
EuroOptic scopes and stuff

Anymore I think their are lots of good quality scopes at reasonable prices on the market.  Years past, I won lots of smallbore matches with cheap 24X Tasco scopes.  Of course if your going on a African safari you might want to step up a notch or two.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!