iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder/Operator hourly value

Started by miketclew, January 26, 2023, 05:10:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

miketclew

I was recently asked to take a job where I stay on the machine. Good professional choppers and a ground crew setting chokers to my instruction.
Thoughts on an hourly rate for a Clark skidder (353) and operator?

logman81

I did just that with a c5d I got paid 25hr I set chokers.
Precision Firewood & Logging

chevytaHOE5674

I dont own a skidder, but for me and any piece of my equipment (skid steer, tractor, backhoe, etc) if I'm not getting a minimum of 100/hour then ill park it and do something else. The cost of fuel, oil, tires, parts, etc is expensive. You need to be making enough for you to live on, insurance to get paid, maintance/fuel is paid for, and saving up for when a motor blows, or axle grenades, etc.

newoodguy78

Is it your machine or someone else's that you'll be running for them? If it's your machine like chevy said don't short yourself parts and breakdowns always seem to cost more and last longer than expected. 

OH logger

Before this hyper inflation period I was told for rent $100/ hour for every $100,000 the machine cost. So an $80,000 machine should rent for $80/hour PLUS operator. But at todays cost that's not enough. Fuel, filters, tires all
Other parts are through the roof. I have to change ALL fluids and filters in my skidder this spring. Filter sale goin on now at my Deere dealer. Still
Cost $1200 😮. 
john

240b

140/hr plus moving costs both ways. And a minimum of 4hrs.  

C5C Tree Farmer

If the skid you pictured is typical of what you will be pulling your 664 is not going to be overloaded. Looks like the major expense will be fuel and maybe a mainline and a few chokers. If fuel was provided I'm thinking you could do well for yourself @ 50.00. I know I could with the C5.

ehp

I'm more with OH logger , I use to think if I made a grand a day for me and my skidsteer and skidder  I was ok, not making money but not going in the hole and I work by myself , that will not work today with all cost so high, fuel, parts, tires and cost of machines 

chevytaHOE5674

Quote from: C5C Tree Farmer on January 27, 2023, 08:49:07 AM
If the skid you pictured is typical of what you will be pulling your 664 is not going to be overloaded. Looks like the major expense will be fuel and maybe a mainline and a few chokers. If fuel was provided I'm thinking you could do well for yourself @ 50.00. I know I could with the C5.
So at 50/hr if you take 25 of that as a wage. The other 25 covers all maintaince, insurance,  and puts money away for major repairs or upgrades down the road?

Hogdaddy

Quote from: C5C Tree Farmer on January 27, 2023, 08:49:07 AM
That would be cheap, even for here in my neighborhood.  
If you gonna be a bear, be a Grizzly!

230Dforme

Good afternoon 
$100/ hr plus in and out

ehp

my logging insurance cost rose just over 50% for 2023 over 2022 

OH logger

Quote from: ehp on January 27, 2023, 08:04:54 PM
my logging insurance cost rose just over 50% for 2023 over 2022
My liability insurance for the loggin bidniss went up
By half about 2 years ago. My insurance guy beat inflation to the punch I guess🤦‍♂️. He got expensive before expensive got cool lol

john

stavebuyer

Without questioning anyone's costs or pointing political fingers, how do we get off this out of control merry-go-round? If $50k is the new minimum wage, then what will it be 2 years from now when all the "new" costs are passed through the system?

Stave log prices doubled circa 2010 but I was actually worse off. Inventory costs doubled but margins did not. I think we end up pricing ourselves out of more export markets.

Southside

Simple, we crash to the bottom.  There is always one more rung on a ladder, the issue is being able to actually stand on it.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BargeMonkey

Quote from: stavebuyer on January 28, 2023, 06:45:51 AM
Without questioning anyone's costs or pointing political fingers, how do we get off this out of control merry-go-round? If $50k is the new minimum wage, then what will it be 2 years from now when all the "new" costs are passed through the system?

☝️☝️☝️. Better equipment, less people. I see it everywhere, McDonald's, gas stations, look at all the tech company lay offs. 
 Too many variables with this question, are you putting wood out on production ? How longs the skid ? Pounding a machine ? 80-100hr in bald eagle money, depends how bad they need you. The only guys I know right now still driving it home on rates are dirtwork guys, I'm watching guys starting to starve at home with the ground giving up. 

stavebuyer

The increased productivity of better equipment has reduced labor costs. A guy crops thousands of acres when his grandad had a full time job keeping up with 40. That increased productivity kept the price of corn down. Now the other inputs have all gotten so high, its going to take something besides a bigger combine to keep food and lumber affordable All those 40 acre farmers went to work building combines, pickup trucks, and appliances. What are the coming generations going to work at? 

I see us sending money oversees until they wise up and decline our credit card.

quilbilly

I'd personally shoot for minimum of $50 per hour after move in, and fuel. That's only for a cake job and if you need the work. Our skidder doesn't use much fuel so we would do $100 per hour plus the move. 

If I can get a job working for someone else and they pay $25/hr wage plus whatever they pay for L&I insurance plus machine fuel and maintenance, and maybe benefits? It's at least $50 per hour. So if you are doing that much or less it's better to work for an ok boss for a wage than yourself for less. 
a man is strongest on his knees

ehp

Problem is what the logger gets paid is no where even close to keeping up with logging cost , well around here thats what is happening , you got to think a ways a head on what its really going to cost you to log . Fuel is just crazy , I just paid $304 for motor oil so I can change it in the skidder tomorrow , that is up alot . If you take what you made say 2 years ago for profit on lets just say $100,000 worth of timber and compare that to today that number now has to be higher and not by just abit cause if you end up with the same number you are going backwards quite fast cause everything you buy went up a big amount . If you keep that going long enough you will be in the poor house bad at the end and sitting with a bunch of worn out equipment and no way you can afford to upgrade or fix what is broke . Now Barge this is nothing for you to read cause you do not deal in these small numbers , yes I know I would have to add a couple zeros to that figure but not all of us can deal in those big numbers . Its going to get pretty bad and its happening now , interest rates are going threw the roof , no houses to speak of and being built. Lumber yards are laying lots of their workers off , Big tech companies are laying off more and more everyday ,  it's not going to be a fun ride I do not think 

barbender

To put yourself in Barges's mindset, take all of the numbers you work with, and add 2 or 3 zeros😁😂
Too many irons in the fire

miketclew

Thanks Guys! A lot of great feedback. The circumstances really do matter.   

Out of curiosity are there any bigger outfits that have put an expense number on a cable skidder + operator employee? I believe the term accountants use is the "Loaded Labor Rate".

It's probably a long-shot, I'm guessing most needs for cable operators are fulfilled through independent contractor relationship - given workers comp costs and a whole slew of other obstacles.

Mike  

Zewnten

when I figure out equipment and operator rates I do a couple things. First is this a long term job or do I need to charge for the loading and unloading? Second what would it cost to replace your equipment; take the monthly payment and divide that by hours expected to be used that month. For example skid steers I used to charge $40/hr just for the machine, 3-5 years ago. Now decide what you want your labor rate to be; what would someone expect to make sitting in that seat, and add 30-40% of that back to it to cover taxes, SS, etc. Bet a $100/hr won't even cover expenses. 

I work dealer now and we charge $230/hr plus mileage. A service truck isn't any more expensive to run than heavy equipment.

230Dforme

Good afternoon miketclew

Believe you may be overthinking this a bit

If you are offered work, like any other contractor, you decide what you want to charge and offer your services at a price
I assume this is a short term job, so no no great commitment 
Possibly #1, all goes great, you make money, customer is happy and you get more work from him and others
Possibly #2, it doesn't go so well, but you should always finish and not bail out unless real crap show,
you will know first day
You may lose your time, fuel etc, but that is contracting / business 
In my construction business you cannot bail, you must finish 
It's called risk, no risk, no reward
Done it for 35 years now

Go do it, what could possibly go wrong 😳

Stephen1

My sawmill and truck are 130k so I charge $130 hr, minimum 4hrs plus travel both ways. Same as what is said above about cost of the machine, I had heard on here years ago that ever $1,000 worth of machine is $1hr and that is how I have always rolled. No sense in working if your not making money. 
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

nativewolf

Interesting thread.  Hope you get a rate figured out.  I guess I am surprised anyone is cable skidding pulpwood.  I don't see the economics on that.  
Liking Walnut

Thank You Sponsors!