iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Gloves for setting chokers-wet snow

Started by wisconsitom, February 03, 2023, 02:22:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wisconsitom

Title says it all, what if any good gloves, waterproof, yet flexible enough etc. specifically for working chokers around logs in slushy snow?  I've got many different versions, the big orange ones are pretty good, but bulky.  I also seem to get fingertip damage from a lot of the rubberized stuff same as the cracks and fissures I'm trying to prevent, so there's that too.

All rubberized with cloth backs are useless, of course.  Just wondering if any of you have the answer for keeping hands dry above 32.
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Log-it-up

Multiple pairs,  when I had my cable machine I had at least six dry pairs in the pickup 

John Mc

I finally gave up on finding truly good waterproof gloves for that kind of work. I just wear leather Carhart gloves with elastic cuffs: uninsulated in the summer and some with light insulation in the winter. THe elastic cuffs keeps snow or sawdust/chips from the chainsaw fromWhen it gets a bit colder out, I'll add synthetic glove liners which do a pretty good job of wicking away the the moisture from my fingers. (The liners are also good if I need to remove my gloves for some detail worl that I can;t get done with the leather gloves on.) If it gets even colder, I'll add those little chemical hand-warmers packets - I put them inside the back of the glove liner against the back of my hand. It helps keep the blood warm going to my fingers.

I'm not a fan of the rubberized gloves.

I'll be interested to see what other responses you get to this. I'm always looking for better ways to deal with this.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

wisconsitom

I wore the big orange rubbery jobbies the other day, setting chokers in slush   kept hands dry, save for just a bit of sweat, but are clumsy.  Good enough I guess.

I've got probably 200 more stems I'd like to drop, but too freakishly warm, trails are losing their snow and getting muddy and rut prone.

We're also in an HRD area-heterobasidion root disease-meaning I'd like to be felling these pine-family members in sub-freezing temps.  Hard to come by this year.

Keeping hands dry has receded in importance!

mudfarmer

Like Log-it-up mentioned I bring a lot of pairs of gloves for a full day, 5-6 is about right. A mix of leather gauntlets w/ army surplus wool liners and the insulated rubber coated ones.

Do you have a "choker poker"?

wisconsitom

Just the stock ends on the chains-small pokers.

I'm looking at the real possibility of no snow left by the time next week is done with us, and too warm to safely cut, with that disease around. Maybe it'll get cold this spring🤞.

newoodguy78

The best I've found is the nitrile skin tight mechanics gloves from Napa. Then put your glove of choice over them. Might not last all day but can easily put a spare set in your pocket. 

wisconsitom

Yeah I thought about those.  Got a few pair laying around, might give em a try.

beenthere

Sure about time for some pics of your logging operation. Enough talkin about it, we'd like to see the proof.  :snowball:
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

wisconsitom

You ain't wrong friend.  I'm not much of a curator, here and elsewhere in life.

I do want to doc some of this stuff though.  Wow I suck at all that.

Seems like when I'm there, there's 20 things to get to, and even carrying the big clunky phone ain't part of it.  Maybe I'll change 🥴.

Old Greenhorn

You guys are gonna laugh at this (I would) but rubber diving gloves, like the wetsuit kind. I have never tried them in woods work but under a large gauntlet glove should work good. This is not speculation. 
 A number of years ago I was doing my Sunday morning truck check at the FD and it was a sunny but cold day in January. The truck REALLY needed to be washed with all the winter road grime on it, but the weather had been terrible. So I pulled the rig out to wash it and realized I had no work gloves in my (personal) truck (they were all on the drying rack at home). I rooted around in my gear bags and found a pair of diving gloves in my water rescue bag. Holy Cow they worked good! Yeah, my hands got wet but they sure stayed warm. It was cold enough out that the rinse water froze on the truck until I pulled it back in the bay. Yeah I learned something that day. I gotta find those gloves. They would not handle chokers and wood, but putting a cover glove on them would take care of that. Yeah, I gotta find those gloves and try this theory out. ;D
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

trapper

Back when I was doing a lot of muskrat trapping I used the heavy linemans   high voltage unlined rubber gloves with a cloth glove under.  punch a hole in one a little shoe goo and the next morning it was good to go again.
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Thank You Sponsors!