iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Here's my first successful photo upload --- I think!

Started by TexasTimbers, July 22, 2005, 01:02:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

If it works, it was more work than actually cutting this log up today :D And not nearly as much fun  ;D

Is there a way to know how to make it as big as is allowed on the forum? I'm sure the onformation is there but now there seems to be SO much info on the Behind the Forum thread that at midnight after cutting up wood all day I'm bamboozled. What's the max pixel or file size I can upoad, bexause you can't see any detail at all in the picture. I had to keep making it smaller and smaller and smaller before it finally quit rejecting it because it was "too big!" Frrrrrrrustrating!!!
Sorry 'bout my shadow, I'm as bad at taking pictures as I am at uploading them on this site ::)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Norm

You're pretty close to having it kevjay, I use a compression program from xat.com. With it you can select the file size and dimensions, I use 400 pixels wide and have no trouble keeping the file under the 20k limit using it's compression settings.

Here's your photo resized and compressed using it.

Jim_Rogers

I thought that the standard size of pictures allowed was 350 tall and 350 wide? and under 20k as mentioned?
I guess not......

Kevjay:
By the way what were you trying to show in this photo?
Jim Rogers

Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Furby

You can go up to 400 pixels, but I don't suggest right on 400.
Stay like 398 or 399 and yes, it is both tall and wide.
350 pixels is still plenty big enough, to see fairly well.

So what kind of wood is that Kevjay?
Looks like some crotch wood in there?

Tom

I've found that the old forum restrictions of 300 pixels and 15k will still give a good representation for the purpose of a thread and it saves space on the Gallery to allow us growing room in the future.  Larger pictures are nice and sometimes needed to show some detail but the little ones can do a good job too.  A little practice posting pictures and some decision making at posting time gives you, the member, a say-so in how frequently and far into the pocket one must reach for server storage upgrades.

Linking to a picture Off Site saves storage space here but it has deleterious affects.   It makes the thread load slower because the software has to go somewhere else on the internet to find the picture.  It also destroys a thread when a member finds that 'his' storage costs and capabilities are going up so he does some housekeeping and delets some of his pictures.  Every one that he deletes that was linked to from the forum will create a broken link and the Forum is the loser.  The only way to insure that your posts are accurately represented with your pictures is to use the Forum Gallery,  that way the image is always here.  :)

Thank You Sponsors!