iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hand made Damascus knifes

Started by Bibbyman, November 15, 2002, 05:10:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Cousin Roy has been making knives again and sent me these pixs he made by scanning them.  

Black Dog

White Dog

Close of of hilt area of Black Dog

You need to hold one of these works of art to appreciate the quality.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

shades

wow bibbyman! those look good ! :o wouldn't have some xtras '' laying '' around would ya? oh well couldn't afford one anyway .  ;D      thats nice work. tell him to keep it up.  ;D
Ben

Bibbyman

I've got one hunting knife he made on a design I came up with. It's not Damascus but just plain carbon steel with Osage Orange handles.  I had him make two at the same time and I gave one to my son.  (Figured this way he'd have one to loose before he got to mine.)  I should have a picture someplace of it.

It probably took Roy a couple hundred hours to make these knifes. The patterns are formed by hammer welding two or more types of steel together and folding and re-hammering until these layers are formed.

Here is another knife Roy made that I've posted before.
Sawing since '94

Noble_Ma

Hey Bib.  Does your cousin make a living doing this or just a hobby.  I can't show that post to my son.  He'll want one for sure!

Bibbyman

Well,  yes, no, maybe.  

He was pretty well into this a few years back and was featured in custom knife magazines and set up at knife shows, etc. He has since developed a short list of customers that were able to afford such items.  For a while,  many went to Japanese customers.  Often times they are given to top executives as a retirement gift.  

I'm not sure how many orders he's willing to take as he can pretty much make what he wants and have a customer ready to buy it.  When he made my simple knives,  it took him 6 months to get to around to making them.

The last couple of years he's been spending a lot of time on his rod.  Here is a picture of it taken last summer after he got it painted and running.  He's since got the bumpers and other trim on.  
Sawing since '94

whitepe

Bib,

If you ever get up to the neck of the woods where
Jeff's cabin is stop in at the Great Outdoors in
Cedarville, Michigan.  The owner of the store is
in to making knives and he has quite a collection.
His last name is Harrison. I can't remember his first
name. He is not related to Sue Harrison, the author
from Pickford, Michigan.
Jeff,
Do you know this fella?
Oh yes, Great Knives Bib!

Whitepe
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Thank You Sponsors!