iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Micro-kiln price review

Started by kderby, September 18, 2006, 12:49:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kderby

Thanks to USDA Forest Service and Oregon Economic and Community Development grant money, there is a new fancy kiln in Eastern Oregon. It will equalize, condition and dry using steam from a gas boiler. Capacity is 6-10mbf. 8) 8) 8) 8)

My question is what are others paying for kiln services? I realize there are variables like fuel prices, species and proximal competitors. I want to hear what you charge or expect to pay when a load of lumber needs to dry.

I am thinking of running the kiln on a cost plus percent basis. It will not make anyone a living but it is part of the puzzle. It will give small operators like me a step up in quality and production. The region I live in hosts fewer than two people per square mile.  We are a mix of pioneer and modern.  "We" want to develop a market for western juniper (Juniperous occidentalis) a species similar to eastern red cedar (Juniperous virginiana).  This kiln valuable jump start.  Thanks to USFS and OECDD! 8)!

Thanks for your reply.  I have learned a great deal here.  I really enjoy the variety of folk that we are!

Kendall ;D

beenthere

What is the name of this "new fancy kiln in Eastern Oregon" ?  What is the price tag? 

Maybe I am missing something here, but is this a new kiln development from grant money, or has the grant money been alloted for you to buy an existing kiln?

Or are you applying for grant money? 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!