iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coffee table base?

Started by Brad_bb, September 11, 2007, 03:00:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Brad_bb

My mom found online a coffee table made from very old grapevine trunks and glass top.  It was $2500.  I though that was a little ridiculous given how simple it looked to make.  Granted, those big grape trunks probably arent all that common. 
  Anyway, looking at the style of it, I think something just as nice or better could be made from the base of a tree, especially with burl.  Any suggestions of where to start?  What type of tree?  Where to look?  Who specializes in this.  Is this something I can do myself or can I buy the base sawn and dry and finish myself? 
   There was a website I stumbled on a couple weeks ago here from a sawer in Colorado that buys huge crotch logs from North america and europe.  Anyone know that website?  Lately he looked like he was sawing large california walnut crotches.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Texas Ranger

I made a coffee table out of a big red cedar stump that I found washed up on the lake, all the bark was gone, required a little cutting to square up the roots, which held the glass top.  Sand blasted it to get some of the color back.  Sold it to folks that valued it a lot higher than I did.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

metalspinner

Your imagination is your limit with coffee tables. Coming up with a good and well proportioned design is not as easy as one may think.  Especially with irregular materials. I thought using a natural edge slab would be easier than it turned out to be.  Forget about using any of your stationary equipment. All handwork is involved.  Also getting a thick piece dry enough to use takes lots of time and patience.  This table took three times longer to make than one the same size using dimensioned materials.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php?topic=26703.0

Your description of the grapevine table reminds me of one made of deer antler.  I think it was on ebay.(?)

QuoteI think something just as nice or better could be made from the base of a tree, especially with burl.  Any suggestions of where to start?  What type of tree?  Where to look?  Who specializes in this.  Is this something I can do myself or can I buy the base sawn and dry and finish myself? 
I think I recall a pic on this forum of a dining table with a similar design.  I'm not sure who made it, though. :-\

I was approached by someone wanting this exact thing.  After considering it, I passed because of the effort involved just getting the stump cleaned off and ready for finishing.  Not to mention the way it will blow apart after drying (unhappy customer).  Maybe if I happened across a stump already cleaned naturally, but still lot's of effort most people are unwilling to pay for. 
QuoteI though that was a little ridiculous given how simple it looked to make.

Lot's of great ideas are ready to go.  All you need to do is think of them. ;D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Fla._Deadheader

Here's one that's a little different.  ;D ;D

AND, you can get it cheaper then $2500.00  ;) ;D ;D

Amazingly, it weighs around 20 pounds, so, shipping won't eat yer lunch, either.

Just PM me yer CC# and a shipping address, and you can own this one of a kind piece of artwork.  ;D ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

treebucker

Quote from: Brad_bb on September 11, 2007, 03:00:04 PM
Granted, those big grape trunks probably arent all that common. 
How many do you want and how long? Send me a PM. Maybe I can get an arm and a leg for them.  smiley_smug01

metalspinner, good looking table! smiley_hollywood_cool

Fla._Deadheader, that looks interesting. I just wish my poor eyes could see it better. smiley_headscratch
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

Fla._Deadheader

It's the best of 3 photos. Right now, it would take Ed 3 hours to dig it out.  ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Brad_bb

C'mon guys, I'm serious.  I'm looking for some pics of some interesting table bases that were done using the natural growth of a tree, maybe something like the tree base that has been turned upside down and cut flush or maybe not turned upside down.  It will have a glass top put on it that will extend over the wood base.  In the grape vine example I mentioned, the trunks were probably 5 inches in diameter and they used 2 or three of these with the glass on top.  If you have any pics or know of any websites with such natural base tables or someone who deals with bases and cutting the root base flush, please let me know.  Additionally, since the root base is much longer across than the tree, and my chainsaw couldn't do it in one pass, how to people cut the base flat?  Do they use the chainsaw to do it in secitons and then use a belt sander to try and get it all level?

Fla._Deadheader

Sorry if you can't see the finished product in that base ???  It is one piece all grown together ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

beenthere

Brad
Maybe the router mounted on a 'bridge' across a box frame (after rough leveling cuts with a too-short chain saw) would be one way to level the base. 
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

metalspinner

QuoteAdditionally, since the root base is much longer across than the tree, and my chainsaw couldn't do it in one pass, how to people cut the base flat?

QuoteMaybe the router mounted on a 'bridge' across a box frame (after rough leveling cuts with a too-short chain saw) would be one way to level the base.

Like this...

I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

beenthere

Thanks metalspinner. That is what I was tryin to picture.  ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Sprucegum

And its just that easy  ;)

Now you got to ask yourself how you will hold those 2 stumps together?, or will you keep them seperate?

Brad_bb

FLA_Deadheader,
Sorry, I thought you were just being funny/sarcastic with those roots as if to say - hey I have some junk I'll sell to ya cheap, what's your address...
Especially when treebucker followed with comments that were to be funny.

That bridge frame is an interesting idea.  So is the router fixed rigidly to the box frame and then you move that whole frame relative to the two rails that are screwd to the stumps?

I just bought a new Bosch router motor, my first one.

I really need to find some pictures of cofee tables done this way so that I can show her pics and hone in on the exact look she wants.  Then I can try and find the stump etc.

pineywoods

Lay some boards across the bunks on sawmill. Stand the stumps on end on the boards and saw away. Works fine on a bandmill, even better with a swinger
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

treebucker

I guess you could interpret what I said as just trying to be funny. I posted what I did because I thought everyone had too many large grapevines. Maybe it's just my neighborhood.

But I was serious when I offered to get what you need. Although 5" could be a challenge, 4" may be doable. I'll just have to check to see how big they are...that is if you're really interested.
Last night I lay in bed looking up at the stars in the sky and
I thought to myself, "Where the heck is the ceiling?!" - Anon

LeeB

If we get enough ideas going here this could turn out to be a pretty good wood working thread. How is large diameter grape vine? Solid enough to work with? I never cut any.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

Brad_bb

Treebucker, let's take part of this offline.  My email is bradbb@surfbest.net
Do you have some pics you could send me.  I'll try to get the picture of the table to show you (I'll probably post it in this thread too).

Thank You Sponsors!