iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Iron as wood, fireplace screens

Started by Ironwood, January 02, 2009, 07:32:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ironwood

Here are few fireplace screens I am working on. A double door and a single for the end facing the kitchen, both are operable. Hopefully finishing today. Everything is recycled, the face frames are formerly bar clamps that I had found from someones shop fire. I could reuse them as clamps, but the pitting and character are tooo cool , but take special preheating to weld the carbon steel well, never a dull moment w/ recycled material (see closeup), cannot be replicated on the forge. Screen are former gravel screens (scrap yard find), the angle subframes are from a highschool gym bleacher set. The plate steel for the trees are military surplus/ scrap. Even the hinges are homemade (didn't have time to order bullet hinges), drill bits(hardened steel pins) are inside. I tried to hide most welds as to not detract from the nice iron. Customer stopped yesterday to check them out, she was flabbergasted. I have been wanting to get into some fireplace work ;D. I am building a really unique coffee table for them next week from walnut "wood cookies" 4 quadrants floating dovetailed together, for a 48" dia. table. I will get that up here too.  Nothing like having clients willing to wait, and wait to get better product.  Great folks. I thought I would have the table done in Oct for her birthday, they never called until they decided to have me make the screens in Dec., then never even mentioned the table until I brought it up. Folks like that always get pricing "consideration" as I can fit them in at my conveinence. 

IRON WOOD

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Captain

Very nice as usual Reid!!  I was looking at our cheap fireplace screen that is coming apart last night....need to make a replacement myslef.  Some good ideas there!!

Captain

Ironwood

Thanks, There just isn't a whole lot of nice stuff out there in the consumer market. Custom seems to be the way to go. I wish I had a fieplace to have some of my own, we have a Vermont Castings wood burner. Perhaps some nice fencing to keep the "kiddies" away.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Captain

Reid, I particularly like the screening material.  Any idea what it is called if I were shipping for it?

Captain

Ironwood

Captain,

I thought it was no longer produced. I came to find out that there seems to be only a few supppliers, Schmit (spelling) is one, there are other industrial suppliers of this woven wire. I think it is fairly pricey, and I could not tell you a mesh size as I have never ordered it (except from the scrap yards :D) I buy every stitch of it I find there. I have it in up to a 1.5" opening, fairly heavy duty when it gets to that size. I think the stuff I get may be hardened or at least an alloy to hold up to the abrasive nature of gravel screening. I do know that I DONT like the fine fine mesh I see in commmercial mass produced fire screens. My one smithy buddy says he orders stainless for increased durability in smaller/ finer mesh. Perhaps you should just let me build it for you  :D ;). Two quick searches found this

http://www.wirecrafters.com/product_list.php?cpath=8&ex=eep549-pe619n-0&ex=eep549-4n9arn-0&gclid=CKSmmo7_75cCFQw9GgodzR0iDA

http://www.bopp.ch/default.aspx?navigation_id=2&gruppe_id=25&sprachcode=en

http://www.bankerwire.com/index.php

http://www.hillsidewirecloth.com/

Ironwood

Fla._Deadheader

All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

customdave

Looks real nice Iornwood, unique . I have good luck welding high carbon steels & desimaler metals with 306 or 309 stainless welding rod . Should save preheat step if want to try . Just a tip.      customdave
Love the smell of sawdust

scsmith42

Reid, those look GREAT!  That screen mesh really works well, and your artwork and craftsmanship - as usual - is superb.

How did you make your hinges - did you machine them on a lathe and insert a pin, or roll some strap over a pin, or ???

Thx.

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Ironwood

FlaDH, that is co. I was thinking of, got my German and Irish mixed up.

Scott, 

just drilled the closest rod out and then bought several long bits and cut the shanks off. Crude but works

Ironwood

Warbird

Very nice work.  I'd like to see pics of the final product.

WildDog

Once again, some very nice work Ironwood.

QuotePerhaps some nice fencing to keep the "kiddies" away.
Great idea, I know it's difficult to find good looking stand alone screens with any strength for combustion heaters down here, most parents would pay well for anything to save inquisitive little hands ending up with webbed fingers. :(
If you start feeling "Blue" ...breath    JD 5510 86hp 4WD loader Lucas 827, Pair of Husky's 372xp, 261 & Stihl 029

pigman

Looks nice Ironwood, 8) That woven wire looks like the woven wire I had under the raised pens for my small pigs. It came in different wire sizes if I remember correctly.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

isawlogs

I have the same type of woven wire on the top of my road sander in the bed of my pick-up . It is 3" squares X 3/8"  , real good to keep the bigger nuggets out .
A man does not always grow wise as he grows old , but he always grows old as he grows wise .

Marcel

Don_Papenburg

McNichols ,  The hole story , they will take a check for your order . Many compaies want a credit card or forget it .  Nice people there.     I was planning on buying screening from McMaster carr .Had an order confirmed  online , Next day got an email that stated  the order was canceled .  That I should reorder and use a credit card .   
  I pulled up the McNichols site ordered my screen told them I would pay with a check send me a total with shipping .  No Problem

That is a cool looking screen you made
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Ironwood

Well, just about done, install on Sunday. Finish (linseed and turpentine, japan drier) darkened them nicely. A little hard to tell in the pics from the flash. I will add the handles tomorrow night.

IRONwood

Ironwood

All done, installed and ready for the next pair ;D. Ironwood

Warbird

Beautiful work, Ironwood.  Is the single small door on the other side of this fireplace or what?

Ironwood

War,

Yes, it is 90* to the left and faces the kitchen, that one is operable also. The Mrs. like to clean out the ashes from that side.

Thanks Ironwood

Thank You Sponsors!