The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Sawing pine and spruce  (Read 1598 times)

Offline jtmccallum

• Full Member x2
    • Share Post
Sawing pine and spruce
« on: November 06, 2009, 09:28:27 PM »
This week I was given about 20 white pine and spruce logs by a co-worker. :)  They were cut this week and I will have them home by tomorrow.  I would like to mill them as soon as possible and air dry them this winter.  Will I have any issues with blue stain if I can't get them milled right away.  I don't have my own mill and would have some body mill them at my site.

John
John M.        '97 WM LT40Super Manual 40HP Lombardini,  XP372,   CASE 1210 W/ Loader

Offline beenthere

• Senior Member x2
    • Share Post
Re: Sawing pine and spruce
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2009, 09:41:11 PM »
Don't think you should have a problem with your night temps near freezing, and soon to be cooler.

If you can deck them off the ground and in the shade, they should be fine until it warms up in the spring. 'Spect you would saw them by then. ;D
south central Wisconsin
 It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Offline kderby

• Western Juniper Sawmill
    • Share Post
    • junipersawmill.com
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2009, 11:24:19 PM »
The causitive factor for bluestain is a fungus that needs food (wood), moisture and warmth to grow.  Around here we worry about bluing when the daily temperatures are seventy degrees.  Like spalt, blue is a process (fungal growth).  Spalt and blue do not happen over night.  My expectation is that you are in good shape until spring time. 

Blue is an issue for sapwood and not the heartwood.  Blue is especially an issue in lumber graded for appearance (pine) and not structural lumber.  Blue pine can be quite beautiful.  I was asked yesterday, "Why does it decrease lumber and log value when bluestained?"  The answer from my perspective: blue is inconsistant.  One log can be denim blue and the next log looks like mud.  Some boards are solid blue and others are not.  The general market does not tolerate scattershot diversity.  The price drops until the market no longer cares if it is blue or not.  Milling cost per board foot sold actually goes up for bluestain.  There is additional waste due to decay (fungus=decay process) and checks in drying logs mean broken boards.  Finally, when finishing,  it is hard to keep the blue "blue."  Often the nice blue, with age, becomes muddy and flat. :o :o

Perhaps more than you wanted to know.  Enjoy your logs while they are still bright!

Offline backwoods sawyer

• Senior Member x2
  • LT70-Cooks AC-36 edger-boom truck-oliver crawler
    • Share Post
    • Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2009, 02:14:04 AM »
Generally speaking the blue stain will not develop after the log has been milled up unless there is no air flow, and the humidity and temperature is high. Mill them now and the should stay bright, wait till spring to mill them and they will start turning blue.
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

Offline woodmills1

• Senior Member x2
  • the truth shall set you free
    • Share Post
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2009, 11:42:40 PM »
blue is not consistant at all, and I like the some look like mud line, but blue can happen even when you think it won't.  leave a couple of pine boards laying face to face for a few days and see what happens even when nights are cold.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
spruce pine/sand pine id

Started by caveman on Tree, Plant and Wood I.D.

11 Replies
Last post November 12, 2014, 07:42:59 AM
by WDH
xx
Red Pine vs Spruce?

Started by shortaction on Sawmills and Milling

22 Replies
Last post January 27, 2018, 06:59:41 AM
by 47sawdust
xx
Transplanting spruce & pine

Started by sprucebunny on Ask The Forester