iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Protecting untreated posts from rotting?

Started by mtcates, August 25, 2010, 08:05:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mtcates

I'm converting my two car garage into a screened porch.  There is an 18 inch overhang on the roof. The 6x6 posts I intend to replace the walls with are rough sawn Oak and Poplar. The bottom of the posts will be sitting on a treated lumber sole plate. I'm sure with a wind blown rain the bottom of the posts will occasionally get wet. How should I protect the ends of the posts from decay?  Would chemicals work or is it necessary to space the post off the sole plate?  Give me some ideas.

Ianab

Not exactly sure what you are planning, but the most important thing in stopping rot in untreated wood is to keep it dry.

Maybe a layer of rubber "damp proofing" between the foundation and the untreated timber?

Ian

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

shinnlinger

I say a littlewind blown rain won't be a problem if it can readily dry out.  A post on PT should be fine.  YOu can paint or stain or oil the posts too, it won't hurt your cause.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

PlicketyCat

A agree, if they aren't in direct contact with water/soil for extended periods your untreated posts should be fine. An oil or varnish sealer would do wonders to shed any windblown rain.
Selfishness is not living as one wishes to live, it is asking others to live as one wishes to live. --- Oscar Wilde

Follow our adventures at Off-Grid in Alaska blog.

ljmathias

I use the post supports that are embedded in concrete or can be bolted onto the j-hook bolts embedded during the pour.  This lifts the posts up an inch or so to keep the bottoms out of water and contact with flat surfaces that hold water: the treated sill plate won't rot too fast but it can sip water into the bottom of the post- rot is fast if the post stays at all wet.  Using a rubber or foam interface will help but still won't keep it as dry as a post support- on my mother-in-laws place, she had a carport that had good overhang but the posts were right on the concrete- rotted after a couple of years.

Good luck.

Lj
LT40, Long tractor with FEL and backhoe, lots of TF tools, beautiful wife of 50 years plus 4 kids, 5 grandsons AND TWO GRANDDAUGHTERS all healthy plus too many ideas and plans and not enough time and energy

Thank You Sponsors!