The Forestry Forum is sponsored in part by:

iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Forestry Forum
Sponsored by:

TimberKing Sawmills

Toll Free 1-800-582-0470

LogRite Tools

Norwood Industries Inc.

Your source for Portable Sawmills, Edgers, Resaws, Sharpeners, Setters, Bandsaw Blades and Sawmill Parts

EZ Boardwalk Sawmills. More Saw For Less Money!

STIHLDealers.com sponsored by Northeast STIHL

Woodland Sawmills

Peterson Swingmills

KASCO SharpTech WoodMaxx Blades

Turbosawmill

Sawmill Exchange

Michigan Firewood, your BRUTE FORCE Authorized Dealer

Baker Products

ECHO-Bearcat

iDRY Wood Lumber Vacuum Drying for everyon

Nyle Kiln Dry Systems

Chainsawr, The Worlds Largest Inventory of Chainsaw Parts

Smith Sawmill Service

Author Topic: Wanted: A beginner hobby bandsaw mill that wants to marry my Kohler 8.5hp !  (Read 7904 times)

Online Ianab

• Administrator
  • Marmite on toast is a real breakfast
    • Share Post
Once you have the image in the gallery, call up that image and scroll down to the place that says

Or if that doesn't work, copy and paste the code below into your post window where you want your image to appear.
You will see some code like this.
Code: [Select]
[img]http://www.forestryforum.com/gallery/albums/userpics/35730/SAW_MILL_021.jpg[/img]
Simply copy and paste that into your post, and you get.

This will work for ANY browser or computer combination  :)

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Offline hunterbuild

• Share Post

I found some 20+ foot long 3x3 angle iron and made my own tracks. I can cut 18' now, and can add more if I want. The track that comes with it is not standard off the shelf angle. Also be prepared to have the saw back ordered, be patient it will come and will be worth the wait. 

Offline Jimmy Mc

• playing hard every day
    • Share Post
I pulled the trigger on the HF mill ... with the 25% coupon, how I could I pass up a total of ~ $1,600 including freight and 5% WI sales tax? It may have its draw-backs, but compared to the Lumbermate chainsaw mill I've been using?!  I'm looking forward to venturing into the world of bandsaw milling.  I'm assuming I will be severely hooked (I already am at just the thought of sawing up my blackcherry, sugar maple, black ash, white spruce, white cedar, quacking aspen and balsam fir logs), and am excited to know I can always upgrade. 

Thanks again to everyone who provided advice.  I appreciate your time and help.

That didn't take long to make up your mind. There are a couple of things you can do when you put your saw together that will make your life easier.
1. take the head lift assy. apart and clean the grease out of it and replace it with some good grease. I used red wheel bearing grease and a lot of it. It has worked flawless. they come with too little and poor grease.
2. remove the throttle cable and throw it away. go to walmart or anywhere and get a brake cable for a bicycle and install it. the cable that comes with it will have rust at the point it enters the housing and will fail soon.
3. You are going to need blades, the ones that  come with it are not the best, good blades make all the difference in sawing.
4. break the engine in right. They are great engines and will run a long time with no problems.

There are a lot of mods guys are doing to their mills, to make them more to their liking. but just these four things will get you sawing without any trouble. You will find the things you want to improve or change to suit your needs as time goes on.
Happy sawing
Jimmy McIntosh, HF band mill

Offline BackwoodsUSA

• Share Post
Thanks for the tips, JimmyMC, I really appreciate it.  I'm looking forward to playing around and having some fun sawing up some lumber ... AND, putting away my chainsaw lumber mill jig and just using it for what it was intended for ... making firewood.

Offline Freedom6178

• Weekend Warrior
    • Share Post
Congrats on your new mill.
------Freedom6178------

Prepare for the unknown by studying how others in the past have coped with the unforeseeable and the unpredictable.
George S. Patton

'12 Mustang, '03 F-250 SD 4x4, Stihl Farm Boss 18"bar, '09 Arctic Cat 550 TRV EFI

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
So now we all wait for the delivery man.  8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline StimW

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
So now we all wait for the delivery man.  8)

Mine was a day late and Conway tracking quit showing where it was after it left California! But here is what it will look like-

New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Offline BobInMN

• I'm new!
    • Share Post
Congratulations on the new mill!  I got my HF mill last fall.  It ended up costing me $1450 delivered to my place with the coupons and shipping.  It took a while to get it after I ordered it.  I ordered it on Easter Sunday using a 25% off coupon, it was delivered on September 10th.  At one point during the wait my order was cancelled and HF sent me a $25 coupon for my troubles.  The cancellation was not all HF's fault, its a long story.  Early August HF called me and asked if I still wanted a mill, they said they would honor the original price of $1550.  When they billed my wife's credit card they only charged $1450.  I don't know if they didn't charge tax or shipping, I wasn't going to question them.

I ordered my blades from WM.  I have not used the mill much.  What ash I did cut with the mill worked great.  I plan on making some modifications this year.  I want to increase the length of the track and change the log diameter capacity from 21" to 26", very easily done by moving the push handle and throttle.

The only suggestion I can give you at this time is to make sure you have a way of unloading it from the delivery truck.  It will probably be delivered on a semi without a lift gate.  The crate weighs about 700 lbs.

If you have any other questions let me know.  I don't post a lot here, but I read most of the posts.  I have learned so much from the guys on this site, I don't know where I would be without them.  Thanks guys!
Retired US Army, Retired Civil Engineering Technician, Retired State Employee, most of all just plain tired.

Offline BackwoodsUSA

• Share Post
BobInMN, thanks for the information on shipping ... there is NO WAY a semi will make it up to our home in the woods ... too steep a climb and tight curves ... I"ll have to make arrangements to pick it up on town ... I can't wait to get started ... I have about 30 black cherry logs that have been resting under cover for about 5 years now ... I just couldn't fathom cutting them with the chainsaw ... thanks again everyone ... love this forum!

Offline Magicman

• Senior Member x2
  • A "Traveling Man"
    • Share Post
    • Knothole Sawmill
Those 5 year old Cherry logs are going to test you for sure.  They are gonna be HARD.   :o

Practice on something else first.   ;D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Offline BackwoodsUSA

• Share Post
Thanks for the tip, MagicMan ... i have some balsam logs to chew away on for testing and playing (assuming the beetles didn't hammer them too much last year).

Offline thecfarm

• Senior Member x2
  • If I don't do it,it don't get done
    • Share Post
I think I am right,  ::)   green logs are better than dead logs for a beginner. Them green one will saw easier,staighter.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Share via delicious Share via digg Share via facebook Share via linkedin Share via pinterest Share via reddit Share via stumble Share via tumblr Share via twitter

xx
wanting a beginner mill/hobby

Started by E fan on Sawmills and Milling

13 Replies
Last post January 16, 2015, 06:29:38 PM
by caver
xx
Wanted: New/Used/Home made Bandsaw Mill - up to $3,000.00

Started by Ozarkian on Wanted

9 Replies
Last post January 23, 2012, 09:55:19 AM
by Ozarkian
xx
Bandsaw blade sharpener for hobby sawer

Started by Unclefish on Sawmills and Milling

26 Replies
Last post May 06, 2020, 10:20:38 PM
by Magicman
xx
Reality check: How inexpensively can someone get into hobby bandsaw milling?

Started by DeerMeadowFarm on Sawmills and Milling

47 Replies
Last post February 27, 2015, 05:42:45 AM
by fishfighter