iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Yesterday's job (s)

Started by moosehunter, January 07, 2016, 04:55:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moosehunter

Went about 20 miles yesterday to saw some barn beams. I had been on the phone more than once and explained about nails and other foriegn objects in beams. I also explained how the beams needed to be staged. I get there and the beams looked like Paul Bunyan his self had walked away from a game of pick up sticks. Every available piece of level ground had white oak beams of various lengths  laying in every position possible! He thought we could just load them by hand.
I left him with a better understanding of how to get ready for my next visit and a clear vision that I am not lifting those beams!
Luckily today's job was ready and available so I went and did his pile of locust and bass wood yesterday .
At least the day was not completely wasted.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

drobertson

sounds like a mess for sure, amazing how some folks just don't get it, 
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Chuck White

I has a White Cedar sawjob that looked about like what you described, a few years ago.

There were Cedar logs scattered over about 1/2 an acre!

A few were in a pile, at that point I told the guy that I didn't expect a pile of logs, I expected a stack of logs, and described a what a stack looks like, and with that he got P.O.'d, so I left and didn't return!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

When I was on the road sawing, If the logs did not look like this I would go to the next job.

And I would have them put the centers a of the logs to line up. Not have all the ends even to one side.
But if I had to I can move the logs left or right with my log shifter.  ;D

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Banjo picker

Nice lookin stack there Peter. 8)   I would saw em.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Ocklawahaboy

I was almost ignorant and asked what the upside down dolly was for, and then I saw it.  Great idea!

Sixacresand

It seems like folks with the best log handling equipment can't or won't center logs in a stack.  If there is a FEL on site, I rather it bring me logs one at time.
"Sometimes you can make more hay with less equipment if you just use your head."  Tom, Forestry Forum.  Tenth year with a LT40 Woodmizer,

Chuck White

Quote from: Sixacresand on January 09, 2016, 07:49:39 AM
It seems like folks with the best log handling equipment can't or won't center logs in a stack.  If there is a FEL on site, I rather it bring me logs one at time.

X2, as long as the FEL operator will follow your directions/signals!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

mesquite buckeye

Well put. I'm cured with having one of the guys loading anything. I'm hand signaling where to sit a 24" log on my log wagon and he proceeds to dump it 3' up onto it like no big deal. The whole wagon bounced into the air, a wonder it didn't bend in the middle. One of us guys not inside steel were standing on either side of the wagon at the time. Guys like that will kill you if you give them the chance.
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

kelLOGg

Quote from: mesquite buckeye on January 13, 2016, 10:33:33 AM
Well put. I'm cured with having one of the guys loading anything. I'm hand signaling where to sit a 24" log on my log wagon and he proceeds to dump it 3' up onto it like no big deal. The whole wagon bounced into the air, a wonder it didn't bend in the middle. One of us guys not inside steel were standing on either side of the wagon at the time. Guys like that will kill you if you give them the chance.

Same thing happened to me when a macho Bobcat driver (log owner's employee) dropped an oak on my MILL and it hit a squaring arm! I didn't know it at the time but it knocked it out of adjustment so the owner didn't get square beams. I explained it later to the owner and he offered to pay for damages but there were none - just a re-adjustment.
Bob
Cook's MP-32, 20HP, 20' (modified w/ power feed, up/down, loader/turner)
DH kiln, CatClaw setter and sharpener, tandem trailer, log arch, tractor, thumb tacks

Peter Drouin

In all the years of cutting a lot of guys wanted to load my mill with their tractor and I all ways said NO. Or want to clean up the sawdust with their bucket around the mill.
I always told them NO, If you hit my mill there will hell to pay. And I'm not talking about money.  boxingsmiley
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

moosehunter

As of today I have not heard back from this guy. I would like to do the job so I hope he gets those logs in a stack and calls me.
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

GDinMaine

Only on one occasion did I walk away from a job because the logs were spread out the among boulders and bushes.  Customer claimed they would be easy to move for two guys.  I told him to let me know when him and another guy (other then me) moved them in place. Have not heard from him since.

I had customers with excavators and and one guy had a log loader, offering that they put the logs right onto the mill. I never allow them to do that.  The logs I saw all have to ride the loading forks on the mill.  I actually had to yell at one fellow, when he was trying to center the log on the forks with his excavator. What he didn't see was that a knot hung on the loader arm, and he was about to push the mill sideways or bend the loading forks. 

It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

thecfarm

GDinMaine,looks like those white pine logs been there for a while.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

LittleJohn

Quote from: thecfarm on January 14, 2016, 08:28:23 AM
...that is called aging  :D

most of the logs in my landing look like that, it makes it easier to take off all the dirty bark before you saw  ;)

WV Sawmiller

Quote from: Peter Drouin on January 13, 2016, 08:43:06 PM
In all the years of cutting a lot of guys wanted to load my mill with their tractor and I all ways said NO. Or want to clean up the sawdust with their bucket around the mill.
I always told them NO, If you hit my mill there will hell to pay. And I'm not talking about money.  boxingsmiley

Agree. I will let them hover the log on their forks over my loading arms and I'll take it off with the hydraulics.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Magicman

Yup, at the loader or above the loader and I will take over from there. 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

GDinMaine

Quote from: thecfarm on January 14, 2016, 08:28:23 AM

I mentioned the same thing, but the customer wanted them sawn. So. I did it.  "It will work on the barn. The cows don't know the difference." he said
When I left there was about 4400 bf of lumber.  Some boards softer then others, but they were the right shape and size.
It's the going that counts not the distance!

WM LT-40HD-D42

Chuck White

Highly Valuable "Denim Pine"!   ;)

I prefer, if the customer is moving logs while I'm milling, that they just put the logs on the ground just before the loading forks.

I do have a couple (few) customers who I'll allow to position the log above the loader, then I'll raise the loading arms to accept the log and put it on the mill.

Thank You Sponsors!