iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Where to buy circle saw blades ?

Started by MakitaDcs400, December 19, 2004, 01:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MakitaDcs400

I am contemplating building a saw mill and I was wondering where to buy circle saw blades in Canada.  Im not looking for anything huge maybe something like a 34 inch blade (diameter).   What kind of (and size) an engine would you all reccomend to run it ?

mitch

ex-racer

Hi Mak,

Try Lockhart Saw in Saint John, NB.
http://www.lockhartsaw.com/contact.cfm

I use a 36" inserted-bit saw on my home-built. It is powered by a 289 cu. in. Ford V8 that puts out about 100 HP.

The saw is hammered for 1200 rpm, and I run it in 2nd gear, with the engine turning about 2500 rpm.

What type of mill are you planning to build?

Ed

MakitaDcs400

Im still debating at the moment on what type to build !   I dont want something thats going to take up a whole lot of space. But I want to be able to mill lumber with the least amount of trouble possible (I hear those bandmills can be a bit troublesome with blades breaking and dulling).  I don't have any saw milling background.  So any tips or info would be greatly appreciated.  A local guy just cut his hand off in his circle mill so im all for safety !  Id rather set it up so I can be as far away from the blade as possible. (Those big blades can be pretty intimidating)  Thanks for any tips or suggestions.  How much would a 36 inch blade cost anyways ?   From what I hear they are expensive !

UNCLEBUCK

If I was you Makita I would find a big old circle mill near where you are that is laying the weeds with a blade hanging on it for salvage price then you basically got everything you need and you will have plenty of things to fix to make it work so when youre all done you will feel like you built it from scratch anyway . Find one with everything on it and rotted wood to replace , shouldnt cost very much at all ! Good luck and keep us posted which way you decided to go . Just for a referance my dad bought a old circle mill with 2 old blades for 500 u.s .dollars and it was a challenge to get that fixed up. I would think one would have to be a major gearhead to build one from complete scratch like ex-racer did , that impresses me and his mill looks great and must really cruise to be hammered for 1200 rpm . I wonder if it throws bits at that speed ? I turn 450 rpm and that seems fast .
UNCLEBUCK    bridge burner/bridge mender

ex-racer

Hey UncleBuck,
I'm like you, I grew up around circle saws, but we called them "rotary" mills. That's all there was in those days. :) :)

Although my old saw was hammered for 1200 rpm 30 years ago, it has been stretched a bit since then, and I run it at about 1000 rpm now.
It's only a 36 in. saw, and my saw doctor recommended 1200 rpm to get the proper "rim speed".
My carriage speed is calculated so that each tooth cuts the recommended 1/10th of an inch. It gets through a 16 ft. cut in 4 seconds, and the carriage returns at twice that speed.

What diameter is the saw that you turn 450 rpm?

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!