iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Logging Accident Reviews

Started by Woodhog, January 09, 2005, 06:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Woodhog

Here is a neat site that I found interesting regarding investigations of logging accidents in B.C.

I found it interesting to note how many similar situations
I have been in and was lucky...

http://publications.healthandsafetycentre.org/s/Topic.asp?ReportID=31201

leweee

Woodhog .... Thanks for that info.....adds new meaning to the words "dangerous occupation" :o
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

rebocardo

I read most of them and most are things that "just happened" from lacking of training, lack of foresight, or from working with others. But, the stupidest one has to be the jackpot guy.

sawguy21

That one went from bad to worse. Setting the brakes while the truck was being unloaded?? He also gets a Darwin Award.
I used to see these reports at work all the time and unfortunately knew some of the people involved. Usually the victim was focused on the job at hand and did not take in the big picture
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Paschale

I'm going to bookmark this link.  The thing that makes these most sobering for me is the stats at the top of the page with age and experience.  It makes these somehow more tangible--they were real guys, not just a hypothetical case.  Most of those guys were people with a lot of experience, and it just shows sometimes how anything that we do for very long we can take for granted.  Working with wood, either logging, milling or woodworking is inherently dangerous.  Sometimes, it's the expert and experienced guy who does the most reckless things, simply because they're experienced, and assume something bad isn't going to happen to him.   :(
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Arthur

Good information

Im adding this to our web site to keep reminding both those who do and those who dont work with logs just how dangerous it can be.

Might help those who dont to apreciate those who do more.

sawguy21

I watched a scene unfold Friday that made me cringe.  Two large blue spruce  were being removed from a residence across the street from the store. The feller's PPE consisted of a sleeveless shirt and ball cap on backwards.
He limbed the tree for about 10 feet, the height of his ladder, then tied a light rope to the trunk about 5 feet higher. The other end was tied to the homeowners mini-van
He did his notch then started his back cut. I doubt if he was more than the width of the bar  in when it started to fall. He dropped the saw and ran 90 degrees to the direction of the fall.  The tree rolled  and knocked him flat on his face right in front of his buddy who was watching!! Fortunately, he got up, retrieved the saw and started limbing.
Later, the elderly homeowner brought the saw, a beat up 044 with a battered 24" bar, in for sharpening. Probably got it at a pawnshop. The now cold chain was hanging a quarter inch from the rails.
I don't know if the young turks were hired or just  trying to help but the owner's liability could have been horrendous.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

Wow, that sounds incredible. Sounds like another coupleof inches and he would have been dead.

mometal77

Too many Assholes... not enough bullets..."I might have become a millionaire, but I chose to become a tramp!

Ernie

Bob

That site sure is food for thought.  I know where I'm going when my time comes but that dosen't mean I'm in a hurry to get there.
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

crtreedude

For a while I was into rock climbing - I don't do it here because there are no rocks to climb. 

One thing that you see in the sport is the beginners and the very advanced tend to do themselves in. Beginners because they don't know how to be safe - very advanced because they get sloppy.

When I used to climb with people, I would go through a check list - if my partner thought it was silly, I got another partner.

So, how did I end up here anyway?

Patty

We did the same thing when scuba diving. The check list was very important, and a dive buddy who respected the rules was mandatory.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ernie

Patty

Don't you find that soaking in all that water adds more wrinkles to your shirt 8) 8)
A very wise man once told me . Grand children are great, we should have had them first

Patty

Yea, Norm noticed that too.     :o 

He had no idea the water was so cold.  ;D
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ron Scott

Also "plan your dive and dive your plan"  smiley_skull
~Ron

Climber

WOW! This site is make me think... But as I see most of accidents happened on hilly working areas. As occurred to me like 50% of fatalities could be avoided if following simple rules witch are written in any chainsaw user manual.

Arthur

Climber

this is the problem with most products.

In most cases the owner does not read or understand the user manual.  How many tools just get pulled out of the box and used???  Sales of chainsaws and other garden equipment would drop off dramatically if you needed to show your licence or ticket to prove you have passed a course so in theory you already know how to use even if it is only a safety course.

Just imagine what would happen if you didnt need a driving licence to drive a car!!! or fly that plane.

This is one reason we include a training course with our mills.  Its not compolsory yet as everyone so far takes the course.  We have had a few who have grumbled due to previous milling experience but at the end of the course they are all happy they took it.  We dont just teach how to use the mill but work on their experience to try to refine their milling knowledge.

Same with chainsaws.  I dont have that much experience and will learn at every opportunity.  Lately this has been on almost every tree.

arthur

Ernie

Welcome Climber, it's good to have another youngster on the forum to balance out all we old guys :) :)

DanG

Good link, Kevin.  Lots of good lessons in there!  I see a lot of mention of "chicots", and never heard the term.  Is that just a standing dead tree?  Down here, we'd call it a "snag."

Also, several of the accidents were caused by "Dutch notches."  This looks like a good place for someone to explain exactly what that is and what can happen when you miscut in this fashion.

Sure wish there was more activity on the Health & Safety board. ;) :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

OneWithWood

One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Kevin

Dan, the definition of a chicot would be a dead, or partially dead, standing tree.

A snag would be the same but having a 45 degree angle.

A Dutchman is from having a saw kerf cut into the hinge area beyond the apex.

beenthere

A new word for me.
The google "define: chicot" came up with one definition and that was a Kentucky coffee tree.

http://wordnet.princeton.edu/perl/webwn?s=chicot

French word, possibly, that slips in there for snag. :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Kevin

Thank You Sponsors!