iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need shade!

Started by fishpimp, May 30, 2013, 08:54:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

fishpimp

Alright boys ... What's the best way to rig and umbrella on my mill ?
I know some of u guys have done it before so I'm all ears. I'm sure some u bolts and lil rigging will wrk but concerned bout it being so close to motor.

I haven't even looked at wm site yet . Is it an option. Thinkin it needs b as close to controls as possible?

drobertson

fish, never did it, but thought about it a bunch,  something like a reese hitch that hooks into the tongue, it could be swiveled as the sun moves? just a thought, I wanted to make a swivel seat with the same idea, just never did it,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

fishpimp

Good idea. I always walk with mine tho.inexpericence and add lol.

Magicman

You would want it to cover and move with the control box.  I have an umbrella, but I also have and use an operator's seat.  Attaching the umbrella to the seat back is very simple.  Without the operator's seat, it will take some ingenuity.

Here is the thread where I replaced my seat and had to transfer the umbrella bracket.  LINK
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpimp

Exactly right majic man ... Was hoping someone has done all the thinkin! Hahaha

fishpimp

I'm really really not into welding on my big orange machine right now either...

Ga Mtn Man

Here's just what you need, no welding required. :)

"If the women don't find you handsome they should at least find you handy." - Red Green

2012 LT40HDG29 with "Superized" hydraulics,  2 LogRite cant hooks, home-built log arch.

kderby

I mount one on the operator side of the mast (it slides inside the mast post)on my LT-40.  Simple and I do not use hardware.  It works well and it travels with me as I mill.  It clears the mill exhaust and can handle the mill head raising and lowering.

I get a lot of fun comments.  I found a ten footer at the Goodwill thrift store.  That will be a hoot!

Kderby

ladylake

Everyone sawing outside needs a umbrella , night and day difference.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

fishpimp

Quote from: Ga Mtn Man on May 30, 2013, 11:28:01 PM
Here's just what you need, no welding required. :)

Ill have to hydrate with dos equis if wore that!!
Nice Gringo

Magicman

Quote from: kderby on May 31, 2013, 02:25:30 AMI mount one on the operator side of the mast (it slides inside the mast post)on my LT-40. Kderby
Can you share a picture of your setup? 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

fishpimp

Boyz all I need is a frozen piña colada now!!!

fishpimp

Quote from: kderby on May 31, 2013, 02:25:30 AM
I mount one on the operator side of the mast (it slides inside the mast post)on my LT-40.  Simple and I do not use hardware.  It works well and it travels with me as I mill.  It clears the mill exhaust and can handle the mill head raising and lowering.

I get a lot of fun comments.  I found a ten footer at the Goodwill thrift store.  That will be a hoot!

Kderby

Chuck White

Thats a great idea, mounting it in the mast.

Looks easy.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

drobertson

That will work! 8) I did not realize you walked with your mill,  seems like the ride along mills, are walk with mills would be at least a two man machine.  A dedicated off bearer would sure be nice at times.  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Peter Drouin

Quote from: drobertson on May 31, 2013, 09:29:11 PM
That will work! 8) I did not realize you walked with your mill,  seems like the ride along mills, are walk with mills would be at least a two man machine.  A dedicated off bearer would sure be nice at times.  david

not if you set up right
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Peter Drouin

this is how I did it

made this to slide in the seat

A&P saw Mill LLC.

drobertson

"see says the blind man" :)   that works for sure, I reckon there is always a way,   david

fishpimp

What is that odd lookin black thang attached to the control panel? Lol kinda shaped to fit a behind? Hahaaha
There's days that would sweet. I've been sawing in my nikes past few days. Lots of walking.

Chuck White

I've used my operators seat a little, and I found out that it is not well-suited to use with small logs.

Practically have to lean off of the seat and stand on my head to make sure the blade is clear to go!

Works real nice with large logs!  8)
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Peter Drouin

I don't mean no disrespect to ChuckWhite .Fishpimp, once you get a seat and learn how to mill with it you wont go back to walking, and you will be faster, go look at my setup on A day cutting wood. I have a lot of pics there
A&P saw Mill LLC.

Jim_Rogers

Recently when I was visiting another sawyer, who was new to woodmizers I mentioned to him that the vertical tubes on these mills are open, and you can slide a umbrella down into the tube.

The problem in doing this is that the umbrella sits too low and the hot muffler will melt or burn it.
(don't ask me how I know.... :D)

So, in order to not have this happen you need to "hold it up" a bit off the top of your vertical tubes. To do this you just get a piece of PVC that has the inside diameter of the outside of the umbrella tube. Then you need to figure out the correct length of this tube. To do that you need to raise your engine all the way up and then slide the umbrella down into the tube and measure how high it has to be in order for the umbrella panels to not touch the muffler.

I have two length tubes, for some reason, as shown here:

Above you can see one with the umbrella tube into the PVC on the table behind is the shorter one. Also note the 1x6 with the hole in it, on the table.

It is important to get a tube long enough to cover the hinge in the umbrella shaft:

I have had an umbrella fail at the hinge from wind blowing it sideways and breaking it at the plastic hinge. Having a PVC that covers the hinge help make it stronger, in my opinion.

Next you slide the umbrella shaft through the 1x6 to create a stop for the PVC tube:

This is what will sit on top of your mill's vertical steel tube.

To install the umbrella and it's PVC tube, and spacer board, I move my mill head down to the trailer wheel. Using the metal plate over the axle as a step, I step up onto the plate and it gets me high enough to slide the base of the umbrella shaft down into the mill's vertical steel tube.

While I'm standing up there, I attach a bungy strap to the ribs of the umbrella and it is long enough to go around the top bar and back to the umbrella's rib:

This holds the umbrella to the mill, so that if the wind picks up that the umbrella doesn't go flying down the driveway or off into the woods (again, don't ask me how I know.. :D) It must have been quite a site to see me chasing an open umbrella down the driveway being blown away by the wind......

This current umbrella is a 7' 6" one that I got from Walmart. I've had the big ones with the crank handle, but that's a whole different setup and it's much harder to install.

I think I paid around $20 for it. Recently I saw an 8' one at Sam's club for $26. I think I'll get that one next time.

If you get one that is under 7' in diameter, you'll have the water dripping on your back while you saw in the rain.

I place it in the tube closest to me so that it will cover me, the control box, and the engine. I feel it helps the engine some as well as keep me cool from the sun and dry from the lite rain I may work in sometimes.

It travels with me back and forth and that is nice.

Placing your mill where the umbrella will create shade for you at your work site is also important.

I hope this information is helpful to you, if you want to add an umbrella to your mill.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Chuck White

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 01, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
I don't mean no disrespect to ChuckWhite .Fishpimp, once you get a seat and learn how to mill with it you wont go back to walking, and you will be faster, go look at my setup on A day cutting wood. I have a lot of pics there

No disrespect taken Peter.

I merely stated that I nearly had to stand on my head from the operators seat while sawing 8-10 inch Poplar logs a couple of weeks ago!

I sawed a lot faster once the seat was removed.

NOW, for bigger logs, I think it'll be the "Cats Meow"!

kderby

Jim Rodgers,

Thanks for the idea.  That does solve a couple problems.

Hooray for the Forestry Forum!

Go Team! 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)

fishpimp

Quote from: Peter Drouin on June 01, 2013, 11:36:27 AM
None taken Pete . But I'm only a 1 man crew! If I'm not on the loader then. I'm sawin . As the mill passes I'm slingin boards . How can a chair help me crunch out more production.
I'm all bout wrkn smarter not harder but there's no replacement for displacement.

Thank You Sponsors!