iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Looking to buy Grapple Truck.

Started by wewacountryboy, January 28, 2010, 03:06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wewacountryboy

I am needing some info on buying a grapple truck. I have found a 1985 International S-2500 with a single rear axle. It a ex city truck. The truck is a little ruff, but it only has 82k miles on it. Plus it has the 466 diesel that runs good. It has a rebuilt hydraulic pump that was just installed. Most of the hoses need to be replaced along with pins and bushings. The rubber is about 50%. The man is asking $4000.00 for it. I am wondering if these are good trucks and if it's a fair price?
Thanks for any info. Country Boy
Jonathan Hanson

stonebroke

Tough old cornbinder, The 466 is a tractor motor that will last for a long time. You should check the brakes you might hac=ve to put some money in those also but that is a wear item you should expect that. 4 grand is cheap if it is not rusted out. That will not buy you much of a pickup around here.

Ironwood

There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

shinnlinger

ANy idea how many hours on it???  If it has a wet kit it may have sat an idled all day and actually be a little more worn out, BUt check it out or have a shop check it out.

Dave
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

wewacountryboy

Thanks for everyones input. I bought the truck and drove it 300 miles today with no problems other than all the fuel it used.
Jonathan Hanson

wewacountryboy

Also I got it for $1500 so I think I got a super deal.
Jonathan Hanson

stonebroke

treefarmer87

1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

aksawyer

Did you say you want a grapple truck.I assume you mean some sort of self loader grapple.If so,maybe the single axle wont be enough truck for you.In Alaska we go by bidge weight and that single axle will only be rated for the weight of that log loader.Aksawyer

sjfarkas

Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

wewacountryboy

Jonathan Hanson

wewacountryboy

Jonathan Hanson

stonebroke

wewacountryboy

She runs and drives out great. It needs a few hydraulic lines replaced and one pin and bushing. I'm in the process of changing all the fluids and filters from the radiator to the rear axle. I always do this when I get something new. It gives me a chance to go over the whole machine, and then I know what I have. I also need to replace the drivers door. It's pretty banged up to the point beyond repair. Rest of the rig is in good shape. It will take a nice paint job with a little body work. All in all I'm very pleased.
Jonathan Hanson

stonebroke

There should be a ton of doors in the junkyards. it is about that vintage, you know, old enough to have a lot of them wear out but young enough people are still running them.

Stonebroke

fishpharmer

Built my own band mill with the help of Forestry Forum. 
Lucas 618 with 50" slabber
WoodmizerLT-40 Super Hydraulic
Deere 5065E mfwd w/553 loader

The reason a lot of people do not recognize opportunity is because it usually goes around wearing overalls looking like hard work. --Tom A. Edison

mr T

Good deal looks like you have room for pusher axle Air brakes ? Without axle you would be over weight

sjfarkas

I'm jealous!  You could never find a deal like that out here.
Always try it twice, the first time could've been a fluke.

rickywashere

Quote from: wewacountryboy on January 30, 2010, 09:37:28 PM
Also I got it for $1500 so I think I got a super deal.

great deal for that price...

Thank You Sponsors!