iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SYP?

Started by welderskelter, February 22, 2010, 10:38:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

welderskelter

Just new to talkin about timber here. Just wonderin what SYP stands for. Thanks Harold

Dave Shepard

Southern Yellow Pine.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

welderskelter

Thanks Dave. I am from northern Minnesota. Dont suppose I will run into any soon. Ha.

Dave Shepard

There are several sub species (is that correct) that belong to SYP, like loblolly, long leaf and pitch pine. I'm working on a late 1700's Dutch barn frame from New York state that is white pine, but many of them are pitch pine, or what some call hard pine. I did find some hard pine pegs in a plate from a hay barrack that had been recycled into the barn frame. Pitch pine apparently grew along the rivers in New York where the Dutch settled heavily. There is a small amount of pitch pine here in western Mass. as well. (If I've made a shambles of my details, someone please correct me  ;) )

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Tom

Southern Yellow  Pine is a marketing name forthe four species, Long Leaf Pine, Slash Pine, Loblolly Pine and Short Leaf Pine, all grown in the Southeast USA.  They have been known for for generations for their strength, light weight, ability to hold fasteners, ability to take treatment, machining qualities, resistance to decay, log form and availability.

Even in Northern Minn. You probably have access to more SYP than you think.  Much of the treated pine fencing material, pine decking material, and dimensional stock is SYP from the Southeast.

SwampDonkey

Locally in the Maritimes they treat red pine, a northern hard pine. But, it's not as hard as SYP's. I can't imagine it's not red pine in Min as well, since it's local. But this stub from the University of Min says SYP mostly for pressure treatment, but also mentions fir.

http://www.sustland.umn.edu/implement/selecting_wood.html

Marwood specs are a bit different when looking at poles.

60 foot  $133.01  Piece  min circ at 6 feet from the butt - 56" - 62", min top 26"

Dealing with circumference, no red pine around here would be 26" at 60 feet. ;) If so, I'd want a lot more than 133 bucks. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!