iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I hit something!

Started by Qweaver, January 31, 2006, 10:55:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Qweaver

I have been very lucky in not hitting any metal (except for a standard that I left up too high) in all of the sawing that I have done since last spring.   But yesterday I hit something on my first cut on the third side that dulled the blade.  I was able to complete the cut and when I checked the "hard "area that I had just sawed thru' I found discolored wood but no metal.  I tried the metal detector and found nothing.  So I put on a used but still usable blade, lowered the cut 2 inches and got the same result.  I needed to get lumber on the stack before bad weather moved in today so I just set the log aside and continued to saw.  It's a really nice 20" x 16' log and I hate to lose it but I'm not willing to waste another blade.
Any ideas?  BTW, The blade started to dive down as it approached this spot on both attempts
Quinton
So Many Toys...So Little Time  WM LT28 , 15 trailers, Case 450 Dozer, John Deere 110 TLB, Peterson WPF 10",  AIM Grapple, Kubota 2501 :D

crtreedude

So, how did I end up here anyway?

getoverit

it sure sounds like one of them ceramic insulators to me too... shows all the classic signs that everybody talks about when they hit them, including the wandering blade
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

Get out your axe and look for it.   It might be a piece of wire which is difficult for a metal detector to detect.

Bibbyman

Quote from: getoverit on February 01, 2006, 12:11:57 AM
it sure sounds like one of them ceramic insulators to me too... shows all the classic signs that everybody talks about when they hit them, including the wandering blade

Don't to me.  When you hit a ceramic insulator, you'll know it!  It stops the blade pronto and there will be no cutting on through to the end of the log.

Here's one we hit about 6" from the end of the log.   The LT40 Super crankin' on was only able to cut into the insulator about 1/8" before it came to a screaming halt. We were able to just lift the slab and break it on off.

The whole log - a nice walnut.  We pulled out this object and scanned the log.  That was all that was in it.

I'm not sure what you've hit in the log.  Could there be a chance your hitting gravel in the bark?

Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Cedarman

A good detector will find a bb 4 inches deep.  I have had mine beep on 1/4" of electric fence wire that I had chopped with and axe and it had moved into the place where I had chopped it out.

The only good thing about hitting an insulator is that it has completely eliminated the need to decide whether the blade is salvagable or not.

Hate em, Hate em, them insulators.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

pigman

If the blade hits an insulator it is best to hit it dead center so the set is not taken out of only one side.  ::) I also try to split the nail if I can. 8)  I went another four feet after hitting this insulator. 8)  I did change the blade when I got to the end of the log, the blade was making some rough marks on the board and the customer wanted smooth lumber. ;D

Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Texas Ranger

Good shot, Pigman, you seem to have the same ability to find metal that I do.  I think it is a talent, I have no saw mill, I find them with skill saws, radial arm saws, planers, drills, etc.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

jpgreen

Is that why my planer leaves those little ridges across my board?... smiley_dwarf_finished_chair
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Texas Ranger

Un huh, yup, and yep.  Of course, ya never find out about the knicks until you have that one piece of high value stuff for a very particular client. :-\
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Thank You Sponsors!