iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Spraying Lacquer

Started by TexasTimbers, November 24, 2006, 09:49:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasTimbers

Does anyone have any experience with spraying lacquer? I have brushed it on but I want to move into spraying it. I have an old canister gun that might work but THIS GUY seems to think it is quite simple to do and says the Harbor Frieght gun, for $15 works fine. It seems awful cheap for something that actually works.

Anyone has any experience I'm all ears. ???
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Murf

I have sprayed lots of it, but I must admit, never on anything where the finish was really critical.

I have used this method on lots of mediocre furniture after it was stripped, and on "old" stuff (the junk people buy at yard sales thining it's 'antique' furniture).

Generally I have found the quality of the product you're putting on is far more important than how you put it on. The cheapest laquer won't give you a glass-like finish even if you put it on with a $40 brush.

I have had really good luck though with a cheap sprayer I have putting on things like laquer, Varathane or paint (on metal projects, never wood).

The only important part seems to be that the product is thinned to the right consistancy, and that the gun does not spatter. Past that, I can't see any difference.

Oh, and it goes a bunch faster than brushing, which is why I started doing it.  ;D
If you're going to break a law..... make sure it's Murphy's Law.

hiya

I use spray lacquer, it dries faster that brush type. The cheap spray guns work ok. I have a cheap one ( at the time I had no money so the cheapie).Had it for sereral years. I like to put on severial light coats. Since it dryes fast you can soon hit it again. Maybe 4 or so coats.
Just finished a oak wall unit desk. Used brush type and didn't like it as good as spray type.
Richard
RichardinMd.

Larry

I've sprayed a few barrels of the stuff commercially years ago.  Sounds like the guy knows his stuff.  Never have used the HF gun but everybody copies the devilbiss guns which are excellent...and high priced.  Spraying lacquer well, is more dependent on skill than equipment so give it a try.

The guy talks lot about blushing...as he should.  I'll add couple of things that might keep you out of trouble.  If faced with high humidity or wood with above 8-9% moisture content consider using Valspar lacquer.  It's a lacquer that has added retarder to slow drying so that it can be brushed.  Much less likely to blush when sprayed.  In good conditions try Sherwin Williams.  They have couple different blends.  Seems to be the toughest and most clear of the herd.

Few pictures in my gallery of blanket chests that I finished with lacquer.  Also use a pro finisher sometimes, that sprays lacquer with an airless gun...he is far above my skill level and his finish looks like glass when he is done.

And be safe...lacquer has put a lot of finishers in an early grave because they breathed to much of the stuff.  And ya can blow yourself up using it to.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

BBTom

I cannot comment on the lacquer, but I do have one of the $15 harbor freight guns.  I think it works better than the $95 gun it replaced.  Has a decent adjustment on the spray pattern and flow.  no leaks yet.  The handle is very light which allows it to sit upright without falling over when the cup is almost empty.  (one of my pet peeves with the old one)

I use mine to spray polyvinyl and polyshade. 
2001 LT40HDD42RA with lubemizer, debarker, laser, accuset. Retired, but building a new shop and home in Missouri.

SPIKER

One thing about blushing, it has a great deal to do with the ambiant temperature as well as moisture in the air and the material being painted.  (I used to paint cars for a living in the way back machine)  buying the correct thinnner for the temperature you are spraying in is very critical.   read up on the particular brand of paint you are using and then see what the mfg specs to use at specific temp you are spraying.  also adjust for humidity by following the mfg specs.   try to avoid spraying durring a rainy wet days as much as possable if it is and you need to paint you HAVE to raise the temp of the area you are spraying in..

Mark M 8)
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

rebocardo

> Anyone has any experience I'm all ears

The reason it is not allowed to be sprayed on cars anymore was because of the illness and death it produced. I had a friend that died of kidney failure/cancer from spraying it. So ... I would say use caution and breathing equipment.

ScottAR

Actually, most of the stuff they spray on cars now will kill ya right quick like...

PPE is required when spraying nearly any coating...   Masks or a fresh air system and at a minimum goggles or best a hood.   

Next in line after your lungs are your eyes for absorbing chemical agents. 

Safety first...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

ksu_chainsaw

At work we spray laquer with a Harbor Freight gun and they seem to last a while- at least 4-5 gallons of laquer- or about 4-5 months.  We also leave the thinned lacquer and sealer in the guns, since we seem to spray at least every day, if not more.

just my two cents

Charles

Larry

Saw an interesting thread on Woodnet discussing the different HF guns.

Really long Woodnet linky

I've mostly sprayed lacquer with a conventional siphon gun since that was all they had when I learned 35 years ago.  A job is coming up in a couple of weeks where it would be a lot more convenient to spray on the job site.  Think I'll try this HF HVLP gun

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90977

and try to run it off my little pancake compressor.  HVLP has a lot of advantages over a conventional gun...I ain't too old to try something new and see if it works.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

TexasTimbers

Thanks for all input guys. I'm getting the feeling I can figure this out without too much trouble.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

I have sprayed a lot (almost a whack) of lacquer over
the last 26 years or so.

Keep in mind that lacquer is a thin-film product.  You get
about a mil to a mil and a half per coat. That's not much.
By using a combination of lacquer based sanding sealers
and paste wood fillers you can get good high-build results.
You will find a vaste difference between one sprayed coat
of lacquer versus one brushed coat of, say, polyurethane, etc.

Gloss lacquers, having no silicates (dulling agents), are the
toughest, but dull-rubbed sheens can give you an "almost
bare wood" look.  Lot of possibilities.

Phil L.           [I like Sherwin Williams, too.]
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

Quartlow

Personaly I gave up on the HF guns I have one left that sort of works. I use it for spraying primernow.
I broke down and bought a DeVilbiss finish line from these guys with a 1.8 tip

Spray Gun World

They have it on sale right now for $109.

As for lacquer I've taken to spraying M.L. Campbells Magnalac It's a precat lacquer that in my opinion is almost stupid proof. If I can spray it any one can
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Larry

Quote from: Larry on November 26, 2006, 06:45:54 PM
Saw an interesting thread on Woodnet discussing the different HF guns.

Really long Woodnet linky

I've mostly sprayed lacquer with a conventional siphon gun since that was all they had when I learned 35 years ago.  A job is coming up in a couple of weeks where it would be a lot more convenient to spray on the job site.  Think I'll try this HF HVLP gun

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=90977

and try to run it off my little pancake compressor.  HVLP has a lot of advantages over a conventional gun...I ain't too old to try something new and see if it works.  I'll let you guys know how it turns out.

The gun arrived few days ago.  The first good sign was "Made in Taiwan" as opposed to China.  The fit and finish of the gun was excellent and looked much higher quality than the price indicated.  The gun regulator appeared cheap...and maybe something that won't last long. 

Hooked it up to my old Porter Cable 4 gallon pancake compressor and pulled the trigger on the empty gun.  Took a long time for the compressor to come on.  Once the compressor came on I watched the gauge.  It was slowly losing ground.  Filled the gun with water and went outside to get familiar with the operation.  Got a nice spray pattern on my cedar siding...figured I'm ready for a real test now. 

Filled with Valspar lacquer straight out of the can.  I had it adjusted for a vertical spray pattern and couldn't get near heavy enough coat.  Turned all the knobs and finally got it spraying properly...but with a round pattern that I don't like.  Makes it harder to get good coverage.  I gave the compressor a little extra time to catch up when I could.

So...the gun sprays almost as good quality wise as I can do with my conventional high dollar gun and the big shop compressor.  The HVLP is great...much less over spray and flumes plus saves finish.  This one feature has already made it my favorite gun.  Also maybe even a few less dust nibs.  The only downside is the gun doesn't put out a lot of fluid and is slow even with a big compressor.

Norm

Thanks for the review Larry, I bought the same one myself but have yet to recieve it. I got one that was identical but not hvlp to compare with. My spraying experience is with an airless spraying houses so this should be interesting. :D

TexasTimbers

Larry, Norm,

Did y'all order the $15 dollar gun? I know they carry more than one.

Norm

Kevin I got the one Larry has in his link and then one that was $39.95 which was just a regular cup sprayer. I was amazed at how cheap they were in price at harbor freight.

TexasTimbers

Yes they definately are a bargain. I'm glad I stumbled onto that article, and that y'all agreed to be the gunea pigs.  ;D Also that BBTom had already owned one. It sure is nice to be able to interact with so many people who have all this experience.  8)

Quartlow

QuoteThe only downside is the gun doesn't put out a lot of fluid and is slow even with a big compressor.

That was always my complaint, as said in the WN thread you have to change the needle/nozzle. Which is hit or miss.

From my experiance DO NOT leave lacquer thinner in it ever. The seals are cheap and won't take it. Clean it and dry it out.
Or it will be leaking in short order

For all the aggrevation involved I'll stick with my DeVilbiss finish line. yes its 3 times the money, but the HF gun is 10 times as aggevating.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Thank You Sponsors!