iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Ordered Stihl 261 C-M & Received Stihl 261 C-MQ

Started by beeser, January 15, 2019, 05:16:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beeser

I ordered a Stihl 261 C-M a few weeks ago but after bringing it home today noticed it's actually a Stihl 261 C-MQ.  The price paid was straight out of the manufacturer's price book and it matches the Stihl 261 C-M.  The Q version is supposed to be about $150 more.  This is strange because I felt the dealer trying to convince me to purchase the more expensive saw when ordering.  Is this a saw the manufacturer is trying to unload?  The reasons for ordering the C-M over the C-MQ besides the lower price was the lighter weight and lesser complexity not having the Quickstop feature.  Should I bring the saw back and insist on the C-M?  I'm not a professional and only use chainsaws occasionally on my property.  I purchased a professional grade saw purely out of an appreciation of well made equipment.

lxskllr

I'd return it. IMO, It adds complexity for dubious benefit. I can't think of a situation it would be useful where the typical chainbrake wouldn't work, aside from simple transport when you're walking around the cutting area. It's not hard to remember to activate the normal chainbrake if you need to walk.

beeser

Quote from: lxskllr on January 15, 2019, 05:48:02 PM
I'd return it. IMO, It adds complexity for dubious benefit. I can't think of a situation it would be useful where the typical chainbrake wouldn't work, aside from simple transport when you're walking around the cutting area. It's not hard to remember to activate the normal chainbrake if you need to walk.
I'm inclined to agree at this point.  Besides the added complexity of the Q version it's also a bit heavier.

beeser

I ended up returning the 261 C-MQ in exchange for the less complicated 262 C-M.  The dealer gave me a hard time about it even though the saw was unused.  They insisted that Stihl made the swap without their knowledge and tried to convince me that the Q version was a better saw and I should keep it.  After speaking with the manager of the store they eventually agreed to order the correct saw.  That's when I discovered that Stihl's new 2019 order guide didn't even list the Q version.  It was apparently discontinued.  Hopefully I'll eventually get what I ordered but I'm disappointed with the deceit that followed this transaction whether it's due to Stihl or the dealer or both.

lxskllr

I'd do some sniffing around for a new dealer before you actually need one. The guy you're going to now sounds sketchy. Do some test purchases of chain, or whatever to get a feel for them. If I'm giving you several hundred dollars, I don't expect an argument over getting what I want.

Beavertrapper

I would maybe look around for a different dealer or maybe just a different sales person at that dealership.  I don't think it is discontinued because my new 2019 order guide still lists the MS 261 C-MQ and they show up as still available when I just check at least they are in my part of the country 

beeser

Quote from: Beavertrapper on February 01, 2019, 02:40:18 PM
I would maybe look around for a different dealer or maybe just a different sales person at that dealership.  I don't think it is discontinued because my new 2019 order guide still lists the MS 261 C-MQ and they show up as still available when I just check at least they are in my part of the country
Can't speak to what you saw but the 2018 order guide (pamphlet) from my dealer had the MS 261 C-MQ while the 2019 version did not.  Also absent in the 2019 guide was the Q option in the list of modifiers.  In addition I called Stihl Customer Service and they confirmed that the MS 261 C-MQ was discontinued.

sawguy21

I am not surprised. It was an expensive add on with imho little benefit. Some safety nazi was trying to justify his job.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Weekend_Sawyer

Absolutely time for a new dealer.

There was a chainsaw shop/Stihl dealer that I really liked unfortunately they went under in 2007.
Last year I found a great small engine repair/Stihl dealer that I really like.
In between I tried out a couple of shops that just didn't work out for me.
I ran into everything from lack of knowledge to down right rude. I just can't give my money to people like that.

Jon
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Tasha

A good dealer is a great thing to have.  
I can get a military discount (retired) from one dealer and save 10% on every purchase. They have less than desired customer service.
10% on a $700 to $1200 saw or brushcutter is real money but loyalty and service and taking care of the customer is worth the price difference for the long run.
For anything of real value/cost I go to my "real dealer" as they have supported me with fantastic service for 26 years.

beeser

I finally received the correct saw and was able to use it a little.  Seems to be a nice saw so far. 

d1hamby

Sounds like one of the dealers here in Florida. 
Own a Stihl 362 16" 0.050" carbide and steel, and 25" 0.063" Stihl 020T
Stihl KM131R, 130R and KM56R with several Brush Cutter and Weed Trimmer heads. Pole Pruner (with 10", 12" w/wo Carbide, and 16" bar&chains) , Blower, Modified 135° Hedge Trimmer, Straight Edger, Bed Edger, Tiller Kombi attchment

Pulphook

Heads up for our great dealer here Downeast in Ellsworth, Maine ( Ellsworth Chain Saw ) . After I thought that the coil was gone in a no start Stihl MS 261 in close to zero tempsa week ago, the owner gave me H for "weak starting pulls ". "You some kind of baby" he scolded me while pulling once and running the saw outside. ( "Quick, hard pulls" )
Love it when you're shown the error of your ways....and you are wrong. Some take down. ::)
Now the saw works with the seminar on starts.
I bring one of the saws into them for "fixing" and it is usually a simple in the shop fix at no cost but my pride. :'(
Two wood stoves ( Jotul Rangely ,Jotul Oslo ) heating 99 44/100%
24/7. No central heat. 6-8 cords firewood from the woodlot /year. Low low tech: ATV with trailer, 3 saws, 2 electric splitters, a worn pulphook, peavy, climbing line for skidding, Fiskars 27, an old back getting older.

sawguy21

It is equipped with Quickstop, the chain brake locks as soon as the rear handle is released. The feature has been apparently been discontinued, your dealer wanted it off the shelf. Unless it bothers you carry on.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

barbender

Happysawyer, I don't think you're following what his post was about. The OP wasn't wondering about the difference between the C or CM versions. It was about the Q designation for the more complex quick stop chain brake.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

Happy, there is a "modify" tab at the top right of your post, that you can use to go back in and edit. I know, I have to do it all the time!😉
Too many irons in the fire

Thank You Sponsors!