Stihl 0041av 20"
Stihl 041av Electronic 20"
Stihl 044av
Stihl 056 Magnum II
1963 Ford 2000
801 Ford
Woodchuck

longtime lurker

Stihl 056 mag II. Two rebuilds later and pretty much worn out again she's pensioned off but still starts and runs.
The quickest way to make a million dollars with a sawmill is to start with two million.

TeaW

Homelite XL12 in 1967 paid for by cutting down dead elm @$5. a tree.
TeaW

timberking

First one I bought was a Jonsered 49 SP in 1977 or so.  Not a common brand in Ark. at the time

Jakeway

Echo 50cc (forget model number) bought used in 1982.  Cut firewood and heated whole house through 5 Michigan winters with no saw problems. Sold saw when I moved to Tennessee...just recently bought another Echo.  It feels great to be back to cutting wood.

Twowithone

Sthil 026 still have it today and works well.

gspren

In the mid 70s I bought a new Homelite 150, red, later a Stihl 041, then Stihl 044, recently Stihl 261. I've never sold a saw and they all still run but when I got the 261 I gave the old Homelite to a nephew, he's a good guy. I asked him to cut vines on a wooded hillside and gave him the 150 Homelite and a machete to use, when he was done I left him keep both.
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

motoreese

Just purchased my first chainsaw last month. Stihl ms311 25". Love it!!

ehp

first saw I bought with my own money was a husky 2100 xp, I had just got out of school . that saw did me very well

upnut

The first saw I bought was a Stihl 025AV in 1974. We were thinning planted pine for an outfit that made kid's play cabins, skidding with a little Massey Ferguson tractor and hauling with a Chevy one ton. After using various other saws the Stihl felt like cheating, the anti vibration was a revelation! Still remember the sales pitch..." A saw isn't a bargain unless it's a Stihl!" Have run the same brand ever since...

Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

Real1shepherd

Around '77 or so, after borrowing saws and using a .075 Stihl....an older faller gave me one of his 'newfangled' Husky 2100's to try for the day. Four days later I had two 2100's from Bailey's in mail.

I'm old now, but still have muscle memory for using heavy saws. Doesn't bother me at all to still use a 2100 all day with a 36" bar. I collect Jonsereds though as I find them more interesting and at the end of my loggin' career I used an 80 as a back up saw in smaller timber. That same saw is still going strong 40+ yrs later......far left in my avatar pic.

Kevin

Old saw fixer

My first was a Homelite Super XL, in the early 1970's as I remember.  Pretty good saw as I remember for a house saw. 

Stihl FG 2, 036 Pro, 017, HT 132, MS 261 C-M, MSA 140 C-B, MS 462 C-M, MS 201 T C-M
Echo CS-2511T, CS-3510
Logrite Cant Hook (with log stand), and Hookaroon

Real1shepherd

Quote from: timberking on May 05, 2020, 09:36:51 AM
First one I bought was a Jonsered 49 SP in 1977 or so.  Not a common brand in Ark. at the time
Funny thing about the 49SP....it was not a pro saw, but was such a great little design, it was used like a pro saw by many.

There's a guy on AS that is nuts about them.....he has more than anybody I know. He couldn't afford the Jonsereds 621 at the time and had to buy the 49SP instead. He cut a mountain of wood with that saw and then completely rebuilt it. Then he bought about every 49SP on the face of the Earth....because he was/is so partial to them. He has lots of other J'reds too, but his real affinity is with the 49SP.

Kevin

brewdog

8)xl12  still have it/not runing

Fishnuts2

Quote from: timberking on May 05, 2020, 09:36:51 AM
First one I bought was a Jonsered 49 SP in 1977 or so.  Not a common brand in Ark. at the time
A 49SP is the second saw that I owned.  My Father in Law bought one in 1977, and it was so smooth and quiet compared to my McCulloch 1-10 that I kept looking and checking the saw chips it was throwing.  I bought a used one in 1995 and just traded it a few years ago.

timberking

Quote from: Old saw fixer on May 10, 2020, 10:27:36 PM
My first was a Homelite Super XL, in the early 1970's as I remember.  Pretty good saw as I remember for a house saw.  

I think it was actually stickered as Semi-Pro

Real1shepherd

"Semi-pro" is kind of a meaningless term to me. A saw is either a pro saw or not.....don't try to market it as 'almost' a pro saw. How many more dollars for a saw manufacturer to make it a pro saw from a 'semi-pro' saw.....a few more dollars?

Kevin

ehp

did you not figure out why Husky put XP on their pro saws, XP means extra price

Air Lad

Quote from: Real1shepherd on May 14, 2020, 10:50:34 PM
"Semi-pro" is kind of a meaningless term to me. A saw is either a pro saw or not.....don't try to market it as 'almost' a pro saw. How many more dollars for a saw manufacturer to make it a pro saw from a 'semi-pro' saw.....a few more dollars?

Kevin
The other side of that  is something like my old 039
Clamshell build , adjustable oil feed. Bulletproof  consumer variety saw designed to fill the gap between everyday and once a blue moon . Farmer friendly brute

Oliver05262

My first saw was an old Mercury-Disston with some sort of a scratcher chain on it. Ran fairly well, but hard to start and prone to foul the plug with 16:1gas mix. Did NOT cut well, though. I was 
better off with a bow saw cutting 4' pulp.
  The next one was a fairly new McCullough D-36 and I thought I was in heaven.
Oliver Durand
"You can't do wrong by doing good"
It's OK to cry.
I never did say goodby to my invisible friend.
"I woke up still not dead again today" Willy
Don't use force-get a bigger hammer.

Real1shepherd

Quote from: ehp on May 14, 2020, 11:21:49 PM
did you not figure out why Husky put XP on their pro saws, XP means extra price
There's actually been a lot of debate about that. I had a 2100 with a bad module back in the late 70's. There was a Husky dealer in the little town next to me there in CO. When he went to order it the term 'XP' came up. Neither one of us knew what that meant. So he call the main Husky rep in the PNW. This was no small thing because LD phone calls back then were incredibly expensive.

The answer he got was the XP stood for a hotter spark module designed for PNW saws. I posted that on a Husky thread and was literally crucified, with one member telling me that Husky reps were the biggest liars and most disreputable people on Earth. I'm still scratching my head over that one.

Later on in production after my 2100 it was supposedly a term meant for reinforcement of the crankshaft......but that's not what it meant back in the 70's. Maybe now it has no real meaning since all their pro saws get the same treatment....I dunno. But what I do know is, that if you have a group of rabid member involved in a marque, don't volunteer information outside of the box they live in.

If you Google 'XP" now, Husky lists a bunch of features proprietary to those saws, including 'auto tune'.  

Kevin

firefighter ontheside

First saw I owned is a Stihl 025.  I got it for Christmas in 1998 from my parent because I was planning to build a log home.  Didn't get to use it for about 6 months because I broke my leg skiing right after Christmas.  I still use it all the time at my mill.  I bought an MS291 to have a bigger saw.
Woodmizer LT15
Kubota Grand L4200
Stihl 025, MS261 and MS362
2017 F350 Diesel 4WD
Kawasaki Mule 4010
1998 Dodge 3500 Flatbed

Magicman

I bought my first chainsaw in 1976, which was a Homelite XL12 and in 1979, I bought another XL12.  I stopped using both of them when one caught some hidden fence wire, kicked back, and sent me to the emergency room to get my right upper arm stitched up.  They are both now dust collectors because I will not, nor will I allow anyone else to use them.  :-X
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Tree2truss23

Hi everyone. New to the forum,and this is my first post! My first chainsaw was a Stihl 024 that my father-in-law gave me 13 years ago when I decided to go to college for arboriculture. It was his saw since new,  I believe sometime in the mid '80's. He cleaned it all up, tuned it up, put a new bar and chain on it, and gave it to me for christmas that year. I believe it was also meant to say welcome to the family...now get outside and cut some firewood!! Haha
"And into the forest I go to lose my mind and find my soul."

Tacotodd

My first that I bought and kept for more than 6 months was a little Husky 351. I had it for over 20 years until I managed to kill it due to my ignorance hard headedness. Keep your chains sharp and engines in tune with your current fuel mix.
Trying harder everyday.

Thank You Sponsors!