iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Stihl 026 Over-Revving, Bogging, and Hard to Start

Started by ReggieT, May 16, 2020, 07:23:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ReggieT

Hey Guys,

I've got a nice little 026 that has a new piston/cylinder (Meteor) installed and I've only ran it for 15-20 minutes max.
Running 40:1 TrueFuel, good bar oil.

Today it took about 20 plus pulls to start, and when I was making some cuts into small firewood it started to over-rev while in and when I exited the cut (the chain kept spinning) after I let off the throttle, and then it started just bogging in the cuts at full & half throttle! This was not big wood...just small firewood...

Any ideas on whats going on & how to remedy it?
Air leak,clutch, sprocket issues...?

Thanks,
Reg

Hilltop366

Air Lad

Hi Reg
I have a 260c which I rebuilt.
Original P&C were in good nick so I only replaced the rings
Runs just great
I haven't touched the crank seals as yet,did you change your's
Could something else have failed ? Impulse pipe,carb diaphrams etc.
Could it be as simple as the carb adjustments out of whack?
I have little knowledge of clutch related issues but someone here should be able to help
These models were the go to saw for our emergency services over here for a long time
Hope you get it sorted quickly smiley_thumbsup

Gearbox

You have a air leak find it or you will be doing it all again . carb boot maybe
A bunch of chainsaws a BT6870 processer , TC 5 International track skidder and not near enough time

ReggieT

Quote from: Gearbox on May 16, 2020, 08:49:20 PM
You have a air leak find it or you will be doing it all again . carb boot maybe
Yep...that's what finer minds than I possess have shared with me. :'(

ReggieT

Quote from: Hilltop366 on May 16, 2020, 08:14:58 PM
Sounds too lean, did it run right at first.
Yes...when I ran about 2 months ago for about 15 minutes it ran like a champ.

realzed

I had an 026 that sounded like yours - turned out to be crank seal(s) - changed both before the situation became terminal and it went back to being the fine saw it was prior to this all happening.
If you run it too hard or too long your situation may differ and you may end up getting even more experience with P & C swaps!

sawguy21

Check the cylinder screws, they may have worked loose. Have a good look at the impulse line and carb boot as mentioned.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Air Lad

Yes the cylinder screws and gasket for that matter.
2nd saw I bought new,a Husky142 gave problems for 8 yrs until bit the bullet and decided to strip down and rebuild. Discovered 2 diagonally opposed screws loose. Air in.. 
Quote from: sawguy21 on May 16, 2020, 11:13:29 PM
Check the cylinder screws, they may have worked loose. Have a good look at the impulse line and carb boot as mentioned.

ReggieT

Great feedback gents!
My friend who replaced the piston/cylinder & did a muffler mod has offered to repair it free of charge up to & including a new piston.
I tell you...the power of good solid business relationships are often under-valued.
I merely mentioned to him how it was performing, a little while later he on the phone telling me to sack it up and send it sailing his way! 
Guess what?
Just because he's being an honorable businessman & friend without me asking, I'm going to still send him some $$ just on the love & honor principal! 8)

Greenhighlander

Quote from: ReggieT on May 17, 2020, 01:36:56 AM
Great feedback gents!
My friend who replaced the piston/cylinder & did a muffler mod has offered to repair it free of charge up to & including a new piston.
I tell you...the power of good solid business relationships are often under-valued.
I merely mentioned to him how it was performing, a little while later he on the phone telling me to sack it up and send it sailing his way!
Guess what?
Just because he's being an honorable businessman & friend without me asking, I'm going to still send him some $$ just on the love & honor principal! 8)
An honest and good saw mechanic is worth their weight in gold. Good on ya for looking after them .

Twowithone

Try 50/1 gas in there. Pretty sure thats what Sthil calls for. I have a 026 and it runs great had it out cutting 16" rounds the other day.

ladylake

50 to 1 or 40 to 1 will make no difference.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Thank You Sponsors!