iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Belt dressing

Started by Larry, November 08, 2020, 07:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

I put a new drive belt on the mill about 10 hours ago.  Today it started slipping making 30" wide cuts.  Normally I would have re-adjusted the belt tension but I was in a hurry to finish so I sprayed it with Permatex belt dressing.  The slipping ceased and I pushed it hard cutting another 300 board foot.

Anybody using belt dressing?  I wonder how long it lasts?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

barbender

I never have, but that's a good idea🤔 I feel that on my diesel powered WoodMizer, the belt tension is always in the verge of slippage on wide cuts, yet I don't want to over do it and bust a crankshaft 😮 Maybe I should just hit it with some dressing and rock on!😁
Too many irons in the fire

Magicman

A Wood-Mizer technician once told me to use bar soap.  I said what??  He said yes, bar soap.

It is not a substitute for proper tension but it will remove any glaze that may be on the belt.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Larry

The soap trick used to be the fix for squeaky "V" belts on cars.  I was never sure if the soap improved belt traction or if it some how just magically made the squeak go away. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Southside

Funny timing, I did mine last night.  The auto clutch belt, engine serpentine belt, and the drive belt.  Also do the edger belts and the moulder and planer on a regular basis.  This time I have the CRC stuff because that was the best deal at the time.  

Not sure how long the sticky benefit lasts but it does seem to help keep belts running longer.  This drive belt on my 70 is pushing 500 hours, it has one missing tooth lug, otherwise is in very good shape.  At $150 each I like to run them as long as possible.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

ladylake

Quote from: barbender on November 08, 2020, 07:33:52 PM
I never have, but that's a good idea🤔 I feel that on my diesel powered WoodMizer, the belt tension is always in the verge of slippage on wide cuts, yet I don't want to over do it and bust a crankshaft 😮 Maybe I should just hit it with some dressing and rock on!😁

I wouldn't worry about breaking a crank unless you have a CAT.  Cat cranks are breaking in skid loaders with no side load.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

mike_belben

Yeah belt dressing is a tack increaser while soap is a reducer, to stop squeeks by reducing the traction thats causing it.  Dont soap a slipping belt. 

If youre ever having belt problems google up on all the technicals of proper belt sheave setup and double check yours.. There is quite a science to getting maximum power transmission through a V belt reliably. 
Praise The Lord

moodnacreek

Some 'belt dressings' are belt cleaners.

SawyerTed

Soap is a lubricant.  +1 on don't lubricate V belts.  Clean and adjust belts that slip excessively.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

mike_belben

The belt dressings that arent a cleaner are essentially like 3M spray adhesive.  spraying it into the fan area while running will basically glue your beard to your cheek.  Your arm hair to your sleeve etc etc.  

Only did that once.
Praise The Lord

barbender

Steve, I've seen pictures of cranks busted on Lombardini diesels too.
Too many irons in the fire

farmfromkansas

An old farmer I worked for as a kid, said put turpentine on your combine belts, said it was the best belt dressing.
Most everything I enjoy doing turns out to be work

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Crusarius

Coca cola works well to.

The turpentine would soften the belt and make it very sticky. long term effects may be undesirable.

Chuck White

FYI:  I've seen this posted on belt dressing labels, Do not use belt dressing on serpentine belts!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Funny. My WM 4000 runs 4 micro V belts that have 8 ribs on them, so a serpentine belt by any other name, and the book calls for routine application of dressing!!  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Beavertooth

I have used belt dressing many times on my LT70 62cat and it works great.  
2007 LT70 Remote Station 62hp cat.

kantuckid

Generally speaking a belt dressing is used to solve the symptom of something causing a slip, squeal both. Back when soap was in more common use on belts, belts were not nearly as well made/designed as now days. 
I would never use a solvent based whatever on a rubber type belt. 
I do wire brush my belts a bit when I change blades. 
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

mike_belben

Quote from: Southside on November 10, 2020, 10:25:43 PM
Funny. My WM 4000 runs 4 micro V belts that have 8 ribs on them, so a serpentine belt by any other name, and the book calls for routine application of dressing!!  
The fun thing about having your name on the letterhead is that when your experts cancel each other out, you get to be your own expert.  Youre writing the checks whether it grenades or not right?  Test and tune is the best part. 
Whats the right oil viscosity and change interval?  Can this fitting be crimped on that hose? This one says 55ft lbs dry but that one says 47ft lbs lubed.  
Well none of em are gonna pay me if theyre wrong and im a pretty good mechanic so lets find out.  You learn more diagnosing mode of failure than parroting manufacturer recommendations, i can promise that.  There are thousands of "dont do thats" that work really well. And just as many "i did everything as per manufacturer" that go boom.  
Life is like a rodeo or drag race or combat. The best laid plans sometimes go right out the window when the gate opens, staging lights drop or first shots are fired.  Roll with it.  
Praise The Lord

donbj

Quote from: mike_belben on November 09, 2020, 08:37:46 AM
The belt dressings that arent a cleaner are essentially like 3M spray adhesive.  spraying it into the fan area while running will basically glue your beard to your cheek.  Your arm hair to your sleeve etc etc.  

Only did that once.
Haha good one! Kinda like peein up wind :D
I may be skinny but I'm a Husky guy

Woodmizer LT40HDG24. John Deere 5300 4WD with Loader/Forks. Husky 262xp. Jonsered 2065, Husky 65, Husky 44, Husky 181XP, Husky 2100CD, Husky 185CD

Thank You Sponsors!