iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Harvesting Aspen

Started by Paul_H, April 03, 2003, 10:34:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul_H

Well you guys got me motivated and it was too nice to sit in the office anyway,so I got a hold of the guy that bought some trees(Merv) and went over to his place for a couple of hours and learned some things about drip irrigation.

It turns out that Merv has been in the irrigation business for 20+ years and has designed software on different systems,including drip.He gave me a few books and catalogues and some industry contacts.In exchange for some lumber,he will help me design and setup the first phase of the drip irrigation,including pumps and filters.

He looks like a rancher,and I often see him working his property but when you step in his office,there is no doubt what he does.He showed me a small setup that he has for his yard,and gave me a lesson on installing and metering.

Here is the part that delivers the water to the plant.
Clockwise from the bottom- 1/2 gal per hour water meter with tube
top left-delivery spike
middle right-short chunk of 1/2" tube with a tee inserted

Mary thinks its a great system

After supper we went out back to pot a few more trees

I find that when the little ones help out back,not much gets done ;D

Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

ksu_chainsaw

At school, Kansas State University, I took several classes that dealt with irrigation, both on the horticulture side, and on the farming side.  In greenhouses and other horticultural plots, drip irrigation has been around for a while and is accepted in the industry.  For large farms, the standard has been either large center pivots, or flood irrigation, both of which consume large amounts of water, with increased evaporation.  They are currently working on increasing the use of subsurface irrigation.  What they are coming up with for farm use is a tube about 1" dia, with emitters spaced along the tubing. This increases the amount of water that is used, with less waste.  Also, it has more control over the amount of water that is put into the soil.  Another strong point for drip irrigation is that it puts the water where it is needed the most- in the root zone.  On the bad side, if you happen to forget where the tubing is, it can be ruined by digging in the wrong spot.

Just my two cents

Charles

Swede

One way to save water is just let it on in the evening or early night. When the sun is up the water goes up  the air.
If possible you can place plastic film on the ground between the  rows,  and perhaps over  the rootballs over ground, to prevent evaporating. If the ground is a little higher between the rows any rain and dew goes to the plants but to much plastic can make the soil to hot.

To control water flowing, just drill 1/16" holes in  plastic pipes and try how many You need before diging them down. Use low pressure so the water not "blast" on the roots. Apply  a valve, placed where the small pipe goes from the main pipe. Near the valve there may be 1or 2 holes/6', away from the valve perhaps 3-5 holes.
To clear the holes open the valve all way for high pressure.

If You get to many holes, use self vulc............. >:( (D***G dictionary)  a rubber tape were the layers you wind around the pipe glue together.

Just some ideas running through my poor head........... 8)

Swede.

Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)
Monkey Blades.Sold them too)
Jonsered 535/15\". Just cut firewood now.

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Swede

Swampy; Yes!
Thats the tape I use for holes I don´t need, handles, making O-rings, friction surfaces........ But there are other trade markes, why pay 4x for 3m?  ;) ;D

Swede.
Had a mobile band sawmill, All hydraulics  for logs 30\"x19´, remote control. (sold it 2009-04-13)

SwampDonkey

Swede:

Ummm  :D :D ;D ;D :D :D

The Red Green Show, of CBC TV fame in Canada. Now being re-run on Public TV in the US. Uncle Red was famous for building and fixing with lots of duct tape. You have to go beyond the price of the duct  tape and see this clown at work. He's a regular domestic engineer and a handy man's man hahhahaha. Visit his website through the link above in my previous post. :D :D :D

:D :D This is my attempt to introduce you to some Canadian bad humour :D :D ;D

Poor Swede ;D ;)

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Swede

Swampy; I´ve seen more bad on Swedish TV.  :D

Thank U! /Swede.

Furby

Ok, here's a stupid ?.
I've heard two schools of thought, water in the morning and lose some to evaporation or water in the evening/night and end up with mildew and rot.
Which is better all the way around?

SwampDonkey

That's why you end up using fungicides not only for mildew and rot, but damping off disease on young seedlings. ;)

Swede

:-/ I´ve never heard about that problems here but when you say so...........
Heard that it´s not good for a plant to be wet all the time, it need to be a little dry some times. Thinking about it in a while I find less work. 8)

Swede.

Norm

I prefer to water in the morning not in the evening, the plants seem to do better that way. I dug a small pond years back and was given 4 koi for my birthday from my sons. The rainfall from the house eves is piped over to it. After a couple years there are at least 4 million koi in there fertilizing the water. That is used for irrigation during the dry periods of summer.

Thank You Sponsors!