iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Board Dedusting

Started by Jay B, December 13, 2023, 05:26:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerTed

A possibility is heavy set in your blades is dumping sawdust instead of pulling the sawdust out.   How much set are you running?

Brushes on the outfeed of the edger keeps the "de-dusting" from being a separate task. When edging on the mill/square edged coming off a cant, a roll case with brushes setup parallel to the edger line would deliver lumber to the same place for sticking and stacking.
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Magicman

I have a Stilh BG 56 C that travels with me to blow the sawmill off each evening.  If the customer want to use it, the 12" taping knife, or the wire brushes to clear sawdust off of the lumber they are welcome to any or all of them.  Fact is that there is very little sawdust left on the boards that won't fall off if the lumber is given an "edge bump" prior to stacking.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

chickenchaser

I employ many of the methods suggested, but the edge bump and the flip flop generally suits my needs.
I do get a good clean sweep where my belly rubs when I'm off bearing.

CC
WoodMizer LT35HD

JD 3720 w/loader. 1983 Chevrolet C30 dump. 1973 Ford F600 w/stickloader. 35,000 chickens.

Jay B

Quote from: SawyerTed on December 14, 2023, 06:26:44 PM
A possibility is heavy set in your blades is dumping sawdust instead of pulling the sawdust out.   How much set are you running?

I'm running new WM brand blades, don't resharp/set for myself yet. I was also thinking today I might need to check over the settings on the mill but it seems to be cutting fine really.

I have a box of blades that I bought to use with the resaw attachment that were advertised as low sawdust but I have yet to try them out. Just don't use the resaw like I thought I would.

It's a good point you make about the edger too.

barbender

The Turbo 7 (7/39) have a heavier set (over .025"), part of the reason that I like them as I saw a lot of softwood. But if I'm sawing hardwood, which don't require as much set, they dump a fai amount of sawdust in the cut. That's usually an indicator of excessive set.

Usually dust on my boards isn't an issue.  When I need them clean though, I was scraping them with a the assortment of tools others exhibited here. One idea I had, that I didn't put into practice yet is a drywall taping knife inverted at the back of my outfeed table on my mill. Every board slides across it anyways with the board dragback, so I could scrape the dust off the bottom automatically. The topside, I carry a taping knife along and scrape the top as I'm making the cut.

All of that only happens if I need the boards clean😊
Too many irons in the fire

Southside

So that's not a normal amount of sawdust left on SYP.  It looks like there is a tooth out of set too.  Have you tried adjusting your sawing speed?  How long are you running a band before changing it?  To me your band is dumping sawdust and not cleaning the kerf.  Over wet sawdust, from too much band lube, will do the same thing, it gets packed in there.
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Peter Drouin

I flip them coming off the mill. In the summer it works, this time of the year it freezes on the lumber face.  I cut dry all the time, W pine, Hemlock, and R oak. Maple. For me, if I get pitched on the blade I'm cutting too slow.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Jay B

Quote from: Southside on December 15, 2023, 12:27:22 AM
So that's not a normal amount of sawdust left on SYP.  It looks like there is a tooth out of set too.  Have you tried adjusting your sawing speed?  How long are you running a band before changing it?  To me your band is dumping sawdust and not cleaning the kerf.  Over wet sawdust, from too much band lube, will do the same thing, it gets packed in there.
I use new blades and haven't ventured into the resharpe/setting. Now wondering if the new blades need reset before use?

I adjust feed rate to a slight pull on the engine. Yes I used that particular blade up but this guy wants "saw marks" so as long as I wasn't getting dive on knots we finished out that log. It varies and I usually notice feed slowing for time to change but I would say getting 6 logs per blade average.

So to your point about the lube I decided this morning to double the amount of spindle cleaner and try to half the volume.

Yesterday I reduced lube volume but wasn't keeping pitch off the blades enough. It's possible I have just been too stingy with the soap.

SawyerTed

Try a spray bottle with diesel and give the blade a shot before a cut - in addition to adjusting the lube recipe. 
Woodmizer LT50, WM BMS 250, WM BMT 250, Kubota MX5100, IH McCormick Farmall 140, Husqvarna 372XP, Husqvarna 455 Rancher

Arcticmiller

I just got a stihl br86 leaf blower in hopes to use it on the mill for this purpose. And cleaning the frame off as sawdust starts accumulating. We'll see how it works come spring.

Jay B

Quote from: Arcticmiller on December 16, 2023, 02:35:30 PM
I just got a stihl br86 leaf blower in hopes to use it on the mill for this purpose. And cleaning the frame off as sawdust starts accumulating. We'll see how it works come spring.

I have a Milwaukee blower and it works well for cleaning the mill off but doesn't suit me for cleaning the boards.

Jay B

Didn't get to saw for self today so didn't try the diesel yet, stuck with new ratio on lube. I also spent a bit of time yesterday and this morning doing tracking/alignment making minor adjustments along the way.

Besides that I had finished off a box of 4 and started the alignment with a new 7/39. I'm amazed at how much better the mill seems to be working with such minimal adjustment.

We did try the suggested knock the board on the mill bed but I was still not satisfied and swept anyway. Much improved though and happy for a low key Saturday on the mill.

Southside

JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Jay B

I don't believe so, mostly all long leaf around here.

Southside

Well that explains your dust problem, that's about as bad as it gets.  Don't be bashful with the soap, diesel may be your only solution, especially come spring and summer.
JD Processor
Riehl Edger
White Oak Meadows

Bruno of NH

Woodmizer has a new band in the pipeline.
It's what you want for cleaner boards
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

OlJarhead

No.

But recently I bought an Echo 56v leaf blower which makes this task a breeze so I've started doing it a little.
2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Jay B

Quote from: OlJarhead on December 18, 2023, 08:07:53 PM
No.

But recently I bought an Echo 56v leaf blower which makes this task a breeze so I've started doing it a little.

I have also tried a leaf blower but not to my satisfaction. Any, and I mean any sawdust left on the boards here seem to attract mold/milldew. 

Arcticmiller

Quote from: Jay B on December 16, 2023, 05:11:05 PM
Quote from: Arcticmiller on December 16, 2023, 02:35:30 PM

I have a Milwaukee blower and it works well for cleaning the mill off but doesn't suit me for cleaning the boards.

Well, if all it helps with is keeping the mill clean it'll be worthwhile! Maybe it'll work on the spruce I'm milling, if not no worries I'll put the kids to work with a broom lol.

Machinebuilder

I have gone to a construction site broom

Before I spray Boracare on one side I sweep the surface, stack the next layer on sitckers (sprayed side down) sweep and spray the second side.

Dave, Woodmizer LT15, Husqvarna 460 and Stihl 180, Bobcat 751, David Brown 770, New Holland TN60A

Jay B

I need to investigate boracare.

Thank You Sponsors!