iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hurricane Michael

Started by Roxie, October 10, 2018, 06:44:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dan_Shade

Our power came back around 4:30 or 5:00 am. 

Minor tree damage around the house. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

Magicman

Just remember those power company crews that are working long hours and in dangerous working conditions to restore the power outages.  Telephone and CATV crews will follow them.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

caveman

WDH, I am glad you got power back so soon.  I sent you a text last night but it evidently did not make it.

I have some friends in Blountstown, Fl that got smacked really bad.  The only picture I got from them after the storm showed devastation - their well cared for pines were broken and twisted, their house and out buildings were severely damaged and they were happy to have survived.

My son in law recently returned from a 13 day assignment to North Carolina to help restore power and was sent to north Florida yesterday morning.  He reported that he has never seen storm damage this significant and some of the seasoned veterans said this was as bad or worse than Andrew was in '92.  They told him he may be on the job for 30 days and then rotate out.  Basically, they will have to rebuild from the substations out.  He is about 10 miles from Panama City Beach. 

I volunteered to go help my friends in Blountstown and was going to leave this afternoon but was told that I probably could not get there from here.

Dang must have a heck of a mess at his place too.  This storm morphed into a monster.
Caveman

samandothers

Caveman,
Wondered how your SIL did during Florence.  Felt like he would be involved in this too.  Kinda glad I retired. I feel like I'd be down there or headed that wat had I not.  Hope he and his fellow workers stay safe.  Lots of hazards.

caveman

I hope he stays safe too.  They work long days and have daunting tasks before them.  
Caveman

WDH

My damage was insignificant compared to what those people on the coast suffered. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pineywoods

Son-in-law's widowed mother has (had) an apartment in one of them old warehouses in Bainbridge Ga that was converted into senior citizen apartments. She got out in a hurry, went to Birmingham. Got back in yesterday, the entire top floor is gone, she literally lost everything.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Barney67

Unfortunately, I'm hearing the death toll will rise significantly, lots of people still missing.
EZ Boardwalk 40 Mahindra 5570

FLPINERAT

Quote from: WDH on October 13, 2018, 08:15:49 AM
My damage was insignificant compared to what those people on the coast suffered.
Wasn't just the coast..CAT 3 closed core structure into S GA
Just got back from Bristol area....few miles east of Blountstown. Lord what a mess.

WDH

Yes, you are very correct.  South Georgia got smashed. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DR_Buck

Glad to hear everyone made it through ok.  We just got our power back on.   A little over over 3 days on generator for lights and necessities.   Used 48 gallons of gas to keep it going.   Got most of the bigger stuff around the house cleaned up.  Still have one large oak down in the front yard  and another that is leaning farther out than it was that will have to wait until I have time.   I need to concentrate on the new addition.  Almost 3 days lost work time has set me back some.   Drywall installation is scheduled and if I'm not ready by the end of this week it could be a while.    I still need to get the heat pump hooked up also. 

Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

nativewolf

Quote from: WDH on October 11, 2018, 11:16:29 PM
OK.  Got power back.  Never seen wind like this so far inland.  My recently thinned 21 and 30 year old pine plantations took it pretty hard.  Lost some big hardwoods too, however, I have not walked the creek bottoms yet, so I am sure that many more will be down.  Got smacked pretty hard.  Lost power at 8:25 p.m. yesterday, so I have had little information about the impacts of the storm.  Not sure if the eye of the storm came directly over us, but it had to be close.  Thankfully my house and out buildings and sawshed and air drying sheds came through without damage.  The amount of limbs, leaves, and woody debris on the ground is amazing.  I won't be needing any extra pine logs for a good bit :).
Good deal, that's the right way to look at a Hurricane.  You are ok, buildings ok, have extra wood to saw.  
Went through several small ones in NC but a class 4 moving quickly is really devastating if the eyewall is tight and the pressure gradients are there, wind that will just rip trees apart like tornadoes.  
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

Quote from: Barney67 on October 13, 2018, 08:36:40 PM
Unfortunately, I'm hearing the death toll will rise significantly, lots of people still missing.
I believe it, lots of people riding it out and it was much stronger than expected.   The images from the eyewall impacted areas remind me of unhappier days in foreign lands.  
Liking Walnut

WV Sawmiller

Glad to hear those of you are okay who posted. As mentioned several times property can be replaced but lives cannot. I wish more people would keep this in mind when warned to evacuate ahead of a storm.

Several years ago when Fla was getting beat up badly and one of the hurricanes to hit the state got downgraded from a Cat 4 to a Cat 3 just before it hit. Friends of mine described it as the difference between getting hit directly by a freight train for a Cat 4 and getting hit directly by a tractor trailer for a Cat 3. Basically, if you were directly in its path you did not notice much difference.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

DanG

Hi all.  I'm back after nine days without power or phone service. All family, friends & neighbors made it ok but most everybody has some damage. We lost a couple of roofs on barns and many, many trees. Worst part for us was the lack of air conditioning. We broke heat records two of the days and temps were at or above 90 until today. Now we will likely need the heater or fireplace tonight!  :D :D I'll post details and a few pics tomorrow.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

samandothers

Glad you came through ok.  Sorry for your damage.

DanG

Talked with Woodbowl today. He came through about like me, house is ok but trees down all over the place. He still doesn't have power but they are used to camping and roughing it. He will not lack for sawing business for quite a while. :)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Roxie

Glad he is okay!  Has anyone heard from PC Urban Sawyer? 

Say when

Thank You Sponsors!