iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Pressure Cooker Cookin

Started by Jeff, February 28, 2019, 04:23:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Raider Bill

Quote from: doc henderson on March 11, 2022, 10:51:34 AM
pressure cooker was the microwave of the day.  
That's very true.
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

Al_Smith

Now a story .A fellow from believe or not from Lima Ohio ,the nephew of Harlan Sanders of KFC fame started selling the  franchises .Lee Cummings , Lee's famous recipe ,basically local then  used a slightly different pressure  broaster than Sanders which was originally  made by an engineer at a local Westinghouse plant that did one whole chicken at a time .What they use these days I have no idea but I'm about certain it does more than just one chicken . .

Raider Bill

My local pub has boasted chicken. Different seasoning of course but it's always juicy, crispy and tender.

Speaking of chicken,, anyone buy wings out lately? Market price around here. Around $16.95 for 10.

Al_Smith

I think they are growing chickens with more than two wings .They are every where .Some marketing wizard started calling them as white meat .To me they have about as much appeal as necks or tails . I'm a chicken snob and only buy breasts in large packages like 8 to 10 pieces .One breast will feed two of us for a meal and those are less expensive than those skimpy little wings that are all bone .I do however buy several whole birds to set on a beer can on the gas grill a couple times a year .

SwampDonkey

raw?

12 pack here avg. CDN$11.77 (4.99/lb) , not split.

"Free From" stuff is CDN$6.49/lb

I never buy them in restaurants and very rarely in the grocery.

I do like to buy turkey breast only in the store, way less waste. And I don't want turkey for 4 months. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

kantuckid

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 11, 2022, 01:51:56 PM
Now a story .A fellow from believe or not from Lima Ohio ,the nephew of Harlan Sanders of KFC fame started selling the  franchises .Lee Cummings , Lee's famous recipe ,basically local then  used a slightly different pressure  broaster than Sanders which was originally  made by an engineer at a local Westinghouse plant that did one whole chicken at a time .What they use these days I have no idea but I'm about certain it does more than just one chicken . .
A son of my wife's aunt who lives near Corydon, IN used to work in the factory near him in IN where they made the "pressure fryers" used by KFC and maybe others too. It's what I've always thought of as a unique way to cook? Is a pressure fryer and a broaster the same thing?
talking appliances-have you tried to buy them lately? Tough to find. Our range and fridge are both over 20 years old and we've been in the market for over a year. Lowes wants 100% down then you wait an unknown time.
Upward prices for wings has been in media talk for some years previous to covid. In the beginning it was purely supply/demand from popularity. 
Pressure cookers have been around much longer than the 1970's!  As for comparing to a microwave-the time factor compares but damned if I want a roast from a microwave-pressure cookers require some skill to avoid mushy food which slow cookers can avoid-like rice. 

Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Raider Bill

Broasting is deep frying under pressure.

Appliance prices are crazy.
I've been nursing a refrigerator hoping for things to come down.

Al_Smith

As luck would have it  I replaced two fridges in the last year and a half in addition to a water heater for my rental house .In addition to that the air conditioner for the rental plus and an entire HVAC unit for the house I live in .Needless to say I've laid out a lot moola because everything had risen sharply in price .All I can say is a dollar doesn't go as far as it used to .

Al_Smith

Some say the pressure broaster was the brain child of Sanders and some say it was "Chicken Charlie Yowe 
" of Lima . Which is true depends on who is telling the story but many places use an adaptation of that device these days . 

Ianab

Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 11, 2022, 10:13:02 AMWe use a slow cooker here, for a roast of beef, the meat just falls away, you could eat it without teeth. And of course we cook baked beans and ribs.

Slow cooker here too. Got a recipe for Pulled Pork that works great, pork roast just falls apart and mix in the sauce and onion. A whole chicken does great as well. No carving needed, it just falls apart. 

I can see the attraction of a pressure cooker, because 1/2 hour under pressure (higher temps) cooks like 2 or 3 hours normal. But 8 hours in the slow cooker, pretty much anything is tender then. 

As an aside, the tougher meats actually make a better stew as the gristle breaks down, and they arguably have more flavour. So if you are on a budget (or short of time), a cheap slow cooker lets you enjoy the less expensive cuts. Supermarket sells "gravy beef" and "stewing steak" cuts. They would be pretty chewy if you just grilled them, but slow (or pressure) cooked and they are great. 
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

SwampDonkey

The thing that was a plus here with a slow cooker, you could leave it be and be gone working a few hours without worry, come home from the field or woods and your ready to eat supper. :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Al_Smith

Depends on what you have in the slow cooker .Say a nice roast with potatoes ,carrots etc .It might take 6 hours to get the roast tender  but if you dump the veggies in for 6 you dip out mush .About 2 1/2 maybe 3 hours on them is better .I suppose  some people like mush ,I don't .

kantuckid

Quote from: Ianab on March 11, 2022, 10:39:41 PM
Quote from: SwampDonkey on March 11, 2022, 10:13:02 AMWe use a slow cooker here, for a roast of beef, the meat just falls away, you could eat it without teeth. And of course we cook baked beans and ribs.

Slow cooker here too. Got a recipe for Pulled Pork that works great, pork roast just falls apart and mix in the sauce and onion. A whole chicken does great as well. No carving needed, it just falls apart.

I can see the attraction of a pressure cooker, because 1/2 hour under pressure (higher temps) cooks like 2 or 3 hours normal. But 8 hours in the slow cooker, pretty much anything is tender then.

As an aside, the tougher meats actually make a better stew as the gristle breaks down, and they arguably have more flavour. So if you are on a budget (or short of time), a cheap slow cooker lets you enjoy the less expensive cuts. Supermarket sells "gravy beef" and "stewing steak" cuts. They would be pretty chewy if you just grilled them, but slow (or pressure) cooked and they are great.
My version of pulled pork begins with a dry rub, then grilled over charcoal with a bit of real wood for smoke, then I wrap in alu foil and slow bake in a slow oven. I then "pull the meat", eliminate gristle, globs of fat, etc., and bag in zip locks to freeze. it melts in your mouth done this way.  I add no BBQ sauce until the day we eat some which means a small skillet and saute'ed a bit with sauce. I buy mark down Walmart meat and freeze until enough to fill the grill/smoker. 
Popularity seems to have raised the prices for meat such as flank, even before covid hit. I would not call lean, tough meat, necessarily flavorful? Our form of stew meat is less than the typical chopped up small squares version-we buy a nice chuck roast on sale then cut it up to freeze for later use.  

kantuckid

Quote from: Al_Smith on March 12, 2022, 10:03:55 AM
Depends on what you have in the slow cooker .Say a nice roast with potatoes ,carrots etc .It might take 6 hours to get the roast tender  but if you dump the veggies in for 6 you dip out mush .About 2 1/2 maybe 3 hours on them is better .I suppose  some people like mush ,I don't .
Based on that cut of meat (roast), time factors and proper cooking of meat and veggies I'm turning my page back to the pressure cooker.
 It's also used in stages-browning the meat, cooking until tender, veggies added or done with meat or home-made noodles, etc.. 
Al is correct on slow cookers which excel at specific recipes, not all. We use a rice cooker for rice.  

Raider Bill

I use my slow cooker (crock pot) a couple times a week.
Most all my soups and tomato sauce is made in them, my grass fed roasts too.
For me they are a safe heat source I don't have to worry about burning.

Jeff

Today we brought these home and split them up 12 to a bag. Almost. 79 naked wings. And 44 breaded. For the freezer.

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Raider Bill

$2.99 lb for wings,
Crazy world

Jeff

I can make them pay by not going to the bar to get my fix.  :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Al_Smith

They used to almost give away chicken wings and from my perspective they still should . I mean what do you get besides a couple of bones with a bunch of skin and very little meat ? Then again if you like skin and bones they might appeal to some .As for myself I'll stick with the big giants breasts they sell in large packages .No skin ,very little fat just a nice piece of white meat chicken . Fried in a cast iron skillet well seasoned .Feed the fat to the cat and chow down on the meat . ;D

SupFellers

Quote from: Raider Bill on March 11, 2022, 04:18:44 PM
My local pub has boasted chicken. Different seasoning of course but it's always juicy, crispy and tender.

Speaking of chicken,, anyone buy wings out lately? Market price around here. Around $16.95 for 10.
Ours got to be up that high, too! I'll be danged if I'm spending that kind of money on some chicken wings.
Thankfully, I can't eat chicken wings right now. A lovely, lasting side effect of Covid 😭 most meats I try to eat taste like rot 
Thank you Lord, for Your blessings on me.

Raider Bill

We quit buying them out.

St Pats day the local super market wanted $14.99 lb for corned beef brisket which I do in a old fashioned PC.
$28.99 lb for veal.

Crazy!

sawguy21

Being on government pension I am very selective when it comes to grocery purchases. Besides, I can't cook worth a DanG so keep it simple. ;D My crock pot is a life saver, chuck a stewing chicken or pot roast in it after breakfast, add carrots, spuds and onions mid afternoon and I eat for two days. Not elegant but works for me.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Thank You Sponsors!